Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hyundai's Three-door, $17K Veloster Promises "Up to 40MPG Highway"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 PM

Cool Hyundai's Three-door, $17K Veloster Promises "Up to 40MPG Highway"

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20623

Hyundai's Veloster will get 40 mpg on the highway without the use of hybrid technology

We've talked about Hyundai's Veloster on a few occasions here at DailyTech. These days, many companies are using expensive electric motors and lithium-ion batteries to achieve 40+ mpg in their vehicles. Hyundai, however, is sticking to lightweight platforms and advanced engines to achieve the same feat.

The latest "40 mpg" addition to the family is the 2012 Veloster, which is quite odd being that it has three passenger doors in addition to a traditional rear hatch. The driver's side of the vehicle has a single door, while the passenger's side of the vehicle has a shortened front door and a small rear door to aid in accessing the rear seat.

When it comes to the vehicle specifications, Hyundai has managed to keep curb weight to a minimum at just 2,584 pounds in 6-speed manual form. The six-speed, dual-clutch transmission (DCT) version weighs in at 2,657 pounds. Power comes from a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that develops just 138 hp.

Hyundai says that a Veloster equipped with a DCT will get up to 40 mpg on the highway. The company, however, has not disclosed EPA city ratings for either transmission or highway ratings for the Veloster equipped with a 6-speed manual.

The Veloster will come standard with a 7" touch screen with integrated Pandora Radio support. Hyundai's new BlueLink telematics system will also be included as standard equipment.

Now we come to the styling. The Veloster is likely to draw love it/hate it comments from people who lay eyes on it. While its style is certainly distinctive, it's asymmetric design, bulges, and gaping front bumper are sure to find a fair share of critics.

However, there are two things that play into the Veloster favor. First off, Hyundai officials state that the vehicle will start at a relatively affordable $17,000, which is not bad for a sporty vehicle with good EPA numbers. The second "plus" for the Veloster won't come until sometime next year. Edmunds Inside Line reports that the Veloster will get the a turbocharged version of the 1.6-liter engine good for around 175hp -- the Sonata Turbo's 274hp, 2.0T engine is also a distant possibility. That should make for quite a little "pocket rocket", but won’t do Hyundai any favors when it comes to EPA numbers.

I know they may attract different buyers, but I would MUCH rather have one of these than any of the silly cube looking vehicles on the market (Kia Soul). No need for any of the hybrids added weight either .
Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 AM
West South Central Moderator

Re: Hyundai's Three-door, $17K Veloster Promises "Up to 40MPG Highway"

Hmm, that is a really light weight vehicle. It would FLY if the Turbo 2L were offered.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Kind of odd looking on the outside, but it will probably sell well because it is cheap and gets great gas mileage.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM

I used to own a 1999 Saturn SL1 that was cheap, had 4 doors, 5 speed manual transmission and a 1.6L SOHC engine that was rated at 39 MPG and delivered what it advertised. I even calculated it at 39 or 40 mpg on a long trip with it loaded and the A/C on most of the time. It was a measly 100 HP or so, but being a manual transmission it moved good enough to get by. Being more than 10 years later, I don't see why this is considered such a feat in the industry. I know that safety standards have raised the cost and weight of vehicles, but that Saturn still had two air bags and wasn't a terribly old vehicle.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 AM

I know this is an ugly car but I just looked at the Toyota thread and it makes this car look...normal.

Hyundai just keeps coming. They are fun to watch, as they just keep swinging.

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Hmm, that is a really light weight vehicle. It would FLY if the Turbo 2L were offered.
That would be a fun little car.

Last edited by soul strife; 01-11-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Who stepped on the Murano?

Nope, sorry, this is another overwrought, overdone, too-many-themes-with-no-master design. It's like the designers were simply throwing everything against the wall to see what would stick.

Of course, it'll probably sell like mad, because (as someone already noted), it *is* better than the shipping-box vehicles and toasters it sells against.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Reminds me of an old Honda Civic CR-X with a bit of a squash going on the rear end.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Wow, so a $17k Hyundai is getting a dual clutch automatic while in the Vette or even a CTS-V you still can't get one?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM

I think it looks pretty cool. Can't believe Hyundai is building something I would say that about.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
Wow, so a $17k Hyundai is getting a dual clutch automatic while in the Vette or even a CTS-V you still can't get one?
Great point...

Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by kefkafloyd
Reminds me of an old Honda Civic CR-X with a bit of a squash going on the rear end.
Do you mean squash - ie: squished, matted down.

Or squash, meaning....the vegetable?

Jeff
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
Same with the Focus I beleive - but in this case and the Fescue they only have to hold back a little bit of power. I'm sure DCTs that can handle a hella-lot of power and weight are very pricey.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Jeff Z28
Do you mean squash - ie: squished, matted down.

Or squash, meaning....the vegetable?

Jeff
A bit of both?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Its not that bad, however having the b-pillars in different locations seems a bid odd to me. They should've just made it a two-door, but then I guess it would've been too close to the Genesis coupe in style/function.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM

i thought this thing was supposed to be rear-wheel drive?

Quick Reply: Hyundai's Three-door, $17K Veloster Promises "Up to 40MPG Highway"