Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hurricane Katrina: GM steps up to the plate with aid... again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 07:55 AM

Hurricane Katrina: GM steps up to the plate with aid... again.

Originally Posted by The Car Connection
Automakers Granting Relief from Hurricane Katrina

Automakers are forgiving payments, donating cash, and giving away vehicles in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which struck Louisiana and Mississippi on Monday morning as a Category Four storm with winds peaking at 140 mph. The Detroit News reports that GM will give $400,000 to the American Red Cross as well as 25 vehicles; Ford is allowing those who live in disaster areas to defer two vehicle payments and will match employee donations to the American Red Cross; and Nissan, which operates an assembly plant in mid-Mississippi, will donated 30-day leases for 50 Titan trucks to the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency. Nissan's plant had closed prior to the landfall of the hurricane and has not yet reopened. Estimates for damages from the storm are ranging from $9 billion to $26 billion, with untold loss of life in the New Orleans metro area and coastal Mississippi.
GM gives $400,000 + 25 vehicles.

Ford will match it's employee donations and defer 2 months of payments for residents.

Nissan giving "one month leases on 50 Titans".

So, again, GM looks to help out the most by far.

Ford could be substantial depending on how much their employees donate.

Nissan is at least in the game, though the total value of 50 1-month leases on a Titan is around $15,000 at most.

Where is Honda? Where is Toyota? Where is Kia? ..... Where is DCX?!?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:18 AM

Re: Hurricane Katrina: GM steps up to the plate with aid... again.

Toyota will ultimately give something much smaller but make themselves out to be heroes through their advertising. The public of course will swallow it hook line and sinker.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:38 AM

Detroit News reports that GM will also defer payments for 3 months... also says GM will donate "at least" $500,000... don't know if that includes the 25 trucks, or if it's just a higher cash figure than what Car Connection is reporting.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins.../01-297876.htm
Old 08-31-2005, 08:57 AM

As a side note, Chris 96 WS6, started a donation drive over on his new board, www.ls1lt1.com .

He set a goal of $500 for the site as a group. He started things off with a very generous $100 donation.

He has listed a few links to places where donations can help the disaster victims.

Here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthre...1767#post11767
Old 08-31-2005, 08:57 AM

Its good to hear that all of these automakers are stepping up and doing what they can to help the victims of such a horrific disaster. We can only hope that a speedy cleanup will be underway and that these people can hopefully get settled back into their lives. I work for a vitamin company and they have already put up a sizeable amount of cash as well as donations of vitamins and organic foods.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:17 AM

It's good to see GM stepping up to the plate.
Personally I'm trying to organize something here at my work to get some moeny and I'll personally drive down I-10 and hand over supplies, food and pay for hotels if I can raise enough.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:45 AM

For crying out loud, aren't Titans BUILT in MI? Wow...30 day leases? Nissan...way to help out your home state there...

GM's in red ink and they can give $$...Toyota has so much in profit they can't see straight. But wait, because Toyota employs so many Americans, they're an American car and the same as buying a GM car. To hell with GM
Old 08-31-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
For crying out loud, aren't Titans BUILT in MI? Wow...30 day leases? Nissan...way to help out your home state there...

GM's in red ink and they can give $$...Toyota has so much in profit they can't see straight. But wait, because Toyota employs so many Americans, they're an American car and the same as buying a GM car. To hell with GM
Old 08-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dav305z
Toyota will ultimately give something much smaller but make themselves out to be heroes through their advertising. The public of course will swallow it hook line and sinker.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E

While I admit that would probably be my knee-jerk reaction, this has only happened within what, the past couple of days? If Toyota doesn't step up by this weekend and do something, then I'd say it's fair to throw up the "WTFs". My guess is, they will donate something for PR's sake but it won't be as substantial as what GM and Ford end up doing....and import lovers won't care.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:25 AM

General Motors, GM Foundation & GMAC to Help Hurricane Victims in Southern U.S.

Vehicles, Cash and Matching Funds to American Red Cross

DETROIT – General Motors today announced that the GM Foundation and GMAC will make a combined immediate cash donation of $400,000 to the American Red Cross Hurricane 2005 Relief Fund in support of relief work in parts of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida devastated by Hurricane Katrina. The GM Foundation has pledged up to an additional $250,000 in matching funds for contributions made to the Hurricane 2005 Relief Fund by GM and GMAC employees through the company’s Global Aid Disaster Relief website (www.gmability.com).

In addition to financial support, the GM family will provide additional relief support and aid to storm victims:

GM is making available more than 25 cars and trucks for use by the American Red Cross in relief efforts throughout the affected areas. These vehicles, along with three Hummer H2s donated to the Red Cross last year and the 10 other vehicles already in use following last month’s strike of Hurricane Dennis in Pensacola, are offered to the Red Cross for use in transporting volunteers, food, water and medical supplies.
OnStar has opened up its full range of services for its customers based in or traveling in Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky. All OnStar customers in these states are getting immediate assistance with routing requests, hotel reservations, weather updates, gas station directions, contacting relatives and emergency communication with public safety providers.
The GM facility in Shreveport, Louisiana, is working with the local American Red Cross chapter to collect needed supplies of bedding for the many evacuees entering the area and expected to remain for an extended period of time.
GMAC will work closely with all its impacted customers in auto finance, insurance and mortgage units. Customers are urged to contact customer service or their branch offices where they will be assisted on a case-by-case basis.
Reports of fatalities, injuries and property destruction continue to mount following the storm that struck yesterday and earlier last week.

“It may be days or weeks before the full extent of the destruction from Hurricane Katrina is known, but in the meantime, GM, the GM Foundation and GMAC will act now to help the American Red Cross bring relief to the victims of this devastating storm,” said Rod Gillum, GM Vice President Corporate Responsibility and Diversity, and Chairman of the GM Foundation. “We invite GM and GMAC employees everywhere to continue their proven tradition of supporting disaster relief efforts by contributing online to the Red Cross Hurricane 2005 Relief Fund.”

The GM Foundation was established in 1976 to support the philanthropic interests and business priorities of General Motors Corporation. In 2004, worldwide contributions by GM and the GM Foundation totaled $68 million.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 321,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company’s history. GM’s global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:45 AM

I hate Toyota
I hate Honda
I hate Hyndaui or however you spell it.
I hate Lexus
I hate Scion

Regardless of hurricane donations, I just felt the need to get that out there.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Prominent Member

Isn't it about damned time ALL the OIL companies donate some of their RECORD 30% INCREASE in PROFITS to something like this?!?

I mean, damn...if I gotta' bend over for these theives, then at least give it to people who need help..... /rant on hold.....
Old 08-31-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Isn't it about damned time ALL the OIL companies donate some of their RECORD 30% INCREASE in PROFITS to something like this?!?

I mean, damn...if I gotta' bend over for these theives, then at least give it to people who need help..... /rant on hold.....

A very... very... VERY... VERY good point.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden

Quick Reply: Hurricane Katrina: GM steps up to the plate with aid... again.