Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

HOw are our Factory Hot rod/ crusin mobiles doing in sales?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 11:53 AM

Just a note around the Detroit area a few Ford dealerships that i drive by often have several T-Birds, Lighnings, SVT Foci, and 03 Cobra's. All for list price from what I've seen. We still have Chevy and Pontiac dealers here with new F-bodies for sale, although not very many.

Not checking sales figures or anything but it seems like the performance market cooled off around here. Of course that could be due to the early winter like temps we have recieved this month. But then again this is the Big 3's back yard and they never have trouble pushing models here. We have 20% of all Aztek's sold in the US, what does that say.....

As for the GTO GM is only going to import 18,000 - 25,000(if things go well) And I'll bet they sell everyone!
Old 10-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Banned

Re: And then some...

Originally posted by ProudPony
Not going to turn this thread into a T-bird commercial, but guionM is dead on the money with the "market segment issues and the T-bird as a whole.

The 2002 Car of the Year Award is not just given to a whimsy though-come-to-life. I expect the T-bird will remain a niche vehicle from now on, much as the vette does, and I think it will change in appearance over the coming years, so it won't "die" as many of the retro-haters think. Hunkins stated it well in his post about "classic styling never goes out".

The Chevrolet Caprice was the Motortrend Car of the Year in 1991. I guess this decision didn't come down to "whimsy," but it shows how out of touch a group of magazine writers can be.

As for production... This article states "Ford is said to have the entire 25,000 unit production run spoken for with customers lining up for next year's build. The basic model with black interior and just the convertible top stickers for $35,495. A fully loaded "premium" model - which includes a removable top with porthole windows, 17-inch chrome wheels, traction control and those special interior colors - is priced at $39,795. Don't expect a Ford dealer with any capitalist blood in his body to let one go for anywhere near that low price anytime soon. Currently, there is an approximately $10,000 palm grease charge if you want any Bird that hasn't found a home yet." Sounds like they are not sitting if they are visible and in the right part of town to me.

Now to add even more meat to guionM's point... in typical FORD style, you offer the LIMTED EDITION versions of the car to get those buyers who want to be really exclusive, like the James Bond Edition Ford is releasing in conjunction with the upcoming movie in which Halley Berry will be a hood ornament . There is also the Neiman Marcus Edition that sold out all 200 units in 2 hours- 15 minutes prior to build. There are several more limited-ed's coming up too from the rumor mill.

BTW, does the average Mustang/Camaro guy hang out in Neiman Marcus to pick up tennis shoes and ball caps? Just a pun on the TARGET MARKET of the T-bird compared to Mustang/Camaro crowd.

It's all good. Peace.

Is the Thunderbird really such a hot ticket? The local Ford dealer who has three of these heaps on his lot would probably disagree. (He's probably hoping that these cars will be dealer traded away before snowfall.)

Short of euphoric senior citizens, the sort of people who are burdened with excessive affluence and "American Graffiti" nostalgia, there isn't a TARGET MARKET for the T-bird. Soft-handling, boulavardier 2-seaters just don't sell long term. The 1955-1957 Thunderbird pretty much proved that point, as did the Chrysler TC. And by the way, portholes belong in ships and Buicks, not roadsters.

Yeah, there is always a market for cars with "novelty" appeal. I can't quite understand why anyone would shell out extra for "special" paint colors or trim bits, but people obviously do. Maybe the next "limited edition" Thunderbird can feature less chassis flex, more power and big cash incentives.

Did I mention the Mercury dealer down the road has four Marauders - they even have the "$2,000 rebate" listed on their windshields.

Last edited by redzed; 10-28-2002 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: Re: And then some...

Originally posted by redzed
Is the Thunderbird really such a hot ticket? The local Ford dealer who has three of these heaps on his lot would probably disagree. (He's probably hoping that these cars will be dealer traded away before snowfall.)
redzed,
Not wanting this to go into a flame war or anything, but exactly where is your local Ford Dealer? You don't have your location in your bio.

I certainly do not contest what you say about them having cars on the lot... but there are lots of factors that can influence purchasing. 99SilverSS made a very insightful comment about winter temps maybe having an influence on sales in his area - very likely too, IMO. All I can say is that all of the "small" rural dealers around me can't keep the T-birds on their lots - period. The large-volume dealers in the big cities (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc.) are keeping stock on the lot, maybe as you are seeing. If they receive 21 on a Friday and have sold 12 by the following Friday, I think that's still a pretty good sales rate even though you may still see 9 on the lot.

Another thing for all to remember about these kinds of cars is that they are "limited" - as in controlled build quantities. Ford has amortized the T-bird tooling, marketing, etc. on the basis of selling @25K units/yr - THAT"S ALL IT NEEDS TO SELL to be financially successful to the company. Similar deal for the Marauder, the Mach I (ALREADY sold out, BTW), etc. Vette production is similar in volume and GM is happy with it's sales rates. I see Vettes on almost every dealer's lot, and they even have rebates or 0% on them too now (here in NC anyways)... does that mean the Vette is a "sales flop" for GM - HARDLY.

My point here is that we can't let "massive numbers" cloud the intentions of the manufacturers when talking niche cars. A model doesn't have to sell 200k units/yr to be "successful".

Peace.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:19 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: And then some...

redzed,
Not wanting this to go into a flame war or anything, but exactly where is your local Ford Dealer? You don't have your location in your bio.

I certainly do not contest what you say about them having cars on the lot... but there are lots of factors that can influence purchasing. 99SilverSS made a very insightful comment about winter temps maybe having an influence on sales in his area - very likely too, IMO. All I can say is that all of the "small" rural dealers around me can't keep the T-birds on their lots - period. The large-volume dealers in the big cities (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc.) are keeping stock on the lot, maybe as you are seeing. If they receive 21 on a Friday and have sold 12 by the following Friday, I think that's still a pretty good sales rate even though you may still see 9 on the lot.

Another thing for all to remember about these kinds of cars is that they are "limited" - as in controlled build quantities. Ford has amortized the T-bird tooling, marketing, etc. on the basis of selling @25K units/yr - THAT"S ALL IT NEEDS TO SELL to be financially successful to the company. Similar deal for the Marauder, the Mach I (ALREADY sold out, BTW), etc. Vette production is similar in volume and GM is happy with it's sales rates. I see Vettes on almost every dealer's lot, and they even have rebates or 0% on them too now (here in NC anyways)... does that mean the Vette is a "sales flop" for GM - HARDLY.

My point here is that we can't let "massive numbers" cloud the intentions of the manufacturers when talking niche cars. A model doesn't have to sell 200k units/yr to be "successful".

Peace.
A volume of 25,000 units per year IS a massive volume for any 2-seat "sports car." The Corvette has historically been the best selling two-seater in the world, and its volumes rarely fall that far above this level. Porsche challenging performance and relatively low-cost composite body tooling have kept the Corvette with us for 5 decades. Considering that the Thunderbird lacks those characteristics, just like the '55-57 original, Ford's projected volumes just aren't sustainable. I hope Ford was able to payoff non-recurring design and tooling costs in the first year of Thunderbird production, but I doubt it.

I'm sitting in rural New England, and yes, and dealers will stock Corvettes throughout the spring and summer, but if these cars haven't dissappeared by early autumn, they probably be hanging around until the following May. No dealer around here will willingly keep any muscle car or sports car past September. I might be living in an economic black hole, but T-Birds lingering past mid-October, despite dealer discounting, isn't a good sign. By the way, the dealer with 3 Thunderbirds might be rural, but he moves about 300 new Fords each month.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:09 PM

Well, just for the record, there are plenty of Thunderbirds on the road here in SoCal (and the bay area as well). Most of the people I see driving tend to be people in their mid 40s or so, and I'd say about a third of them women.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:28 PM

I see alot of T-Birds in my area....but if you really, really want to see alot of T-Birds go to south Florida.

Especially areas with retired or semi retired snowbirds wintering in Florida, T-Birds seem to be as common as Camrys.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:46 PM

Angry Talk about getting ripped...

For those of you who were questioning how fast T-birds, Cobras, etc. are moving and dealers with them sitting on their lots...

check this out...

Must be a big difference between geographic regions, huh? I have not heard of anything like this around my area, but they are definitely moving well.

Probably don't sell many snow boards in Florida either, but take 'em to Colorado and $$$
Old 10-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Banned

Re: Talk about getting ripped...

For those of you who were questioning how fast T-birds, Cobras, etc. are moving and dealers with them sitting on their lots...

check this out...

Price Gouging on Cobras

Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve heard from several readers, as well as a personal friend, about certain Ford dealerships tacking as much as $10,000 onto the sticker prices of 2003 Cobras as an "availability" charge for a limited production performance car. In our friend’s case, the dealership eventually lowered their "deal" to $3,500 over sticker, with the salesman stating that Ford was building "only 600 Cobras." In reality, the total production will be something in the 10,000-12,000 range. Fortunately, our friend was able to locate a Cobra in Atlanta for the actual sticker price. So although he had to drive nearly eight hours to pick up the car, he still saved thousands. One of our readers simply gave up and bought a GT instead of paying the up-charge. We’ve also heard that one dealer — in fact, the same one that refused to deal with our friend - is buying Cobras at sticker price from other dealers so they can add the $10,000 surcharge. And because each dealership is an independent business, there’s nothing Ford can do about it. So it’s buyer beware. If you’re fortunate enough to be in the market for what is perhaps the best performance Mustang ever produced from the factory, our advice is to avoid the greedy dealers and shop around for one that will sell at sticker, even if it means driving a few hours to get it.

This is proof positive that dealer franchise agreements should include a clause against gouging - abuse a consumer by charging over MSRP, loose your franchise.

This is also the reason I never considered the Mustang Cobra. Ford real needs to get rid of "SVT" dealers and make their performance carline universally available at ALL Ford Dealerships.

There again, maybe all of the corporate speak about "customer satisfaction" is just palaver.