Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

How I spent my afternoon: drove MC SS and GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:38 PM

How I spent my afternoon: drove MC SS and GTO

Just thought I'd share my thoughts. I am itching to get a new car since the Camaro won't be out till at least 2008-2009. So this morning I took my car in to get some service and since I am craving somthing different I took a walk through the showroom and I saw a new Black/Black Monte Carlo SS sitting on the floor. Man what a cool looking car I like everything except the wheels. The interior is also very nice. It puts my 04 Impala interior to shame. So I ended up taking out a red one for a ride (Black is the only way to go). When the salesman pulled up I noticed the burble from the exhaust and I started to get excited. I hopped in and pulled out of the lot man does that V8 sound awsome. You give it some gas and it will light up the tires like it's on ice. I took it on the highway and opened her up I was doing over 90 mph making my way over to the left lane. It feels quicker than my wife's GXP. That is where it ends the GXP handles and brakes like a RACE CAR compared to the MC SS. The seats are also nicer in the GXP. Overall it is a nice car to cruise around in and it's priced right.The MC SS would make a great daily driver.
So now that I am all hot and bothered about the SS I had some time and I went to the nearest Pontiac dealership. This time I drove the 6 speed GTO. I hopped in the driver seat (salesman didn't know how to drive a manual) cranked up the ignition and instantly fell in love with the exhaust note. The interior is very nice to look at and has nice leather. The car I drove had the 18's on it and it looked sharp (Spice Red/Black). The first thing I noticed was the notchy shifter and the long clutch throw. Next we get on the street and I go into second and I mash the throttle to the floor. Man this thing is fast. The speed just builds real quick and the noises comming from the exhaust I was falling in love. Then it was time turn. Man my buzz was instantly killed. Even though the GTO handled better than the MCSS the GXP puts it to shame. I've had alot of cars and driven many different cars and the GTO just doesn't impress me. I would like the GTO more but its 80% there in performance and looks. If it was 25-27k I would probably get one but not for 33k. Hope they get it right next time around. They should have the team that worked on the GXP do a version of each car in the Pontiac line up.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:09 PM

Re: How I spent my afternoon: drove MC SS and GTO

fyi - I paid $26.5k for my GTO (new). So I guess it falls in your target range.

I agree with what you said though, it handles fat and the shifts are long and clunky, but I still fell in love with it.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the review!

I would also agree that the handling on the GTO leaves a lot to be desired, but it is easy to fix. The shifter is also another sore spot, but again, easily fixed. I purchased my '05 GTO used for $23k, and have NEVER looked back....by far the best/most fun vehicle I have ever owned.

Oh, and the exhaust note gets MUCH better with a pair of Flowmaster Super 40's welded in

Here's mine:

Old 04-06-2006, 07:55 PM

Hotchkis swaybars and a GMM ripshifter; problems solved.

I have no regrets about my trade-in.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by uluz28
Thanks for the review!

I would also agree that the handling on the GTO leaves a lot to be desired, but it is easy to fix. The shifter is also another sore spot, but again, easily fixed. I purchased my '05 GTO used for $23k, and have NEVER looked back....by far the best/most fun vehicle I have ever owned.

Oh, and the exhaust note gets MUCH better with a pair of Flowmaster Super 40's welded in

Here's mine:

Sharp car. What kind of spoiler is that?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by steves
Arrowhead Performance Lip Spoiler.

Chris
Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 PM

If you could only cross the Monte Carlo's liveability with the GTO's drivetrain.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:54 AM

Hrm...I liked the GTO's handling. Then again, the best handling car I have driven in some time was my 87.
I would also assume that a lot of the handling problems come from the rather thin tires for a 2800 lb car.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:02 AM

A good set of tires on a GTO would probably go a long way in the handling department as well.

There is potential there, even if they don't handle all that well stock.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 AM

I think steves gave the most accurate assessment I've ever seen on this board, because my impression of the 3 cars was exactly the same

The MC SS is for cruising, looking good and enjoying a great exhaust note.

The GXP is for banging corners until your significant other feels like they're gonna hurl.

The GTO is for going in a straight line really, really quickly.

But when the MC SS looks more aggressive, and the GXP handles so much better, its hard to fall totally in love with it. Chuck, how the HELL did you get one for $26.5, if you don't mind me asking? Invoice is around $30k on an '05, and incentives were minimal last year, even with employee pricing...I assume GM card points were involved??
Old 04-07-2006, 07:32 AM

They sold it at invoice since it was a left over 05 and they wanted to move it. They were even nice enough to show me the invoice sheet. $30k - $2500 rebate - $1000 conquest cash (is GM still doing that?). Then I had another $1k in GM card points, so technically it was $25.5k, but I didn't add that in there.

Jason - here's a question for you. I read in a book that sometimes dealers will put little round stickers on cars as an indication that a salesman makes a little more money if they sell that car. Is that true? I had one on my sun visor and am just a little curious.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
A good set of tires on a GTO would probably go a long way in the handling department as well.

There is potential there, even if they don't handle all that well stock.
Yes better tires will improve the handling.

I'd beg to differ on the handle well stock comment though. The first time I took the GTO autocrossing (had autox'd the WS.6 previously a ton), I came in 2nd place (in the class) with just removing the back seats and spare tire (everything else bone stock). In fact the only car to beat me was an S2000.

Chris
Old 04-07-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by steves
Chris is right--it is an Arrowhead Performance Spoiler.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
They sold it at invoice since it was a left over 05 and they wanted to move it. They were even nice enough to show me the invoice sheet. $30k - $2500 rebate - $1000 conquest cash (is GM still doing that?). Then I had another $1k in GM card points, so technically it was $25.5k, but I didn't add that in there.

Jason - here's a question for you. I read in a book that sometimes dealers will put little round stickers on cars as an indication that a salesman makes a little more money if they sell that car. Is that true? I had one on my sun visor and am just a little curious.
Chuck,

That was a sweet deal...good for you. I didn't realize there was ANY point on an '05 that there was a total $3,500 available...we had long sold out of '05s before they became leftovers. Gotta love that GM card, too I have $1,900 on mine, sitting and waiting to see how the 5th gen goes...

As for the conquest cash, I have no idea. Its weird, because for the first time in 6 years, I have no clue what Pontiac incentives are See my sig...you'll see why...

As for the sticker? I guess a dealer could do that...it makes sense. Neither of the dealers I've worked for have ever done that. I've only been here for 5 days though, so maybe they have some tricks I haven't caught onto yet...but that's the kind of thing I need to know
Old 04-07-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
If you could only cross the Monte Carlo's liveability with the GTO's drivetrain.
While I can understand that the MC is a bit more of a 'daily driver' type vehicle, the GTO is very 'liveable' in my opinion. I use mine as a daily driver (except when salt is present), and it is VERY comfortable.

Quick Reply: How I spent my afternoon: drove MC SS and GTO