Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

How do you make a case for a new Monte Carlo....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 02:22 PM

Re: How do you make a case for a new Monte Carlo....

I am 20, my brother is 24, and we just picked this up monday night:

So I would say I would never consider a Monte Carlo. If I was buying a coupe, it would be a Camaro. If I was buying a Sedan in 5 years, it would be the Impala or the Pontiac Commodore. The people that can't see the need for the Monte would never consider buying one. How many people OUTSIDE of the internet would buy a nice looking big RWD monte?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:28 PM

Yeah but isnt that a $60,000 sedan??
Old 10-05-2006, 02:29 PM

Anybody can afford a payment. My point was, we decided on a Sedan, and I would not consider a car this big or bigger with 2 doors.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:32 PM

Any of the 3 (rwdMC, 2DR Impy, or Camaro) would be half the price. Would any of those 3 affect you any?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 PM

I can't afford a CTS-V. If I was leasing or buying a car alone, I would have ended up with a GTO most likely in a coupe. And there is really no Sedan out there right now for me. But because my brother was involved, we decided to do the V. Next car I do buy, after the lease is up on the V, I will most likely be working and able to purchase a car at that time. And it will be a Sedan 85% sure on that lol
Old 10-05-2006, 05:08 PM

I have three vehicles...if I only had two, I could probaly make one of them a Z06.

Thanks being said, I would buy a Monte Carlo in a heart beat if it had the power to back it up (350-400HP). Matter of fact, I think almost any GTO buyer would consider it.

I have always liked large xoupwa for some reason.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:19 PM

How I long for the days of Rwd monte carlos, regals, g prix's, caprices, and impalas...

The american car companies have been convincing us the last 20 years that we need fwd. But I think their is a decent size RWD market out their waiting for the product. Especially with the hike in gas prices and declining SUV's.

I'de like to see GM keep the Monte Coupe instead of an Impala coupe...gives the idea of a whole different car, even though they are pretty simiiliar.
Back in 2000 I tried to convince 3 different family members to buy Monte's instead of the Impala. All three wish they would have listened now, just on resale value alone.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:32 PM

^^^^ This man speaks the truth...
Old 10-06-2006, 07:31 AM

I don't know how many times over the past decade or so in intermittent conversations with friends and coworkers about GM products that this phrase has come up "..... nice car, too bad it's not RWD". This applies to cars like Monte Carlo, Impala, Grand Prix, Aurora, Bonneville but not so much on cars with newer nameplates - Cavalier, Cobalt, Alero etc. excepting Aurora but since it was offered with a v8.....

I think there is a market for some mid-size, affordable, modern, attractively styled RWD coupes and sedans from the General, especially when they are offered under nameplates that in the past graced RWD vehicles in the first place.

For the General's FWD offerings that carry on some of those classic nameplates, Ive noticed that there always seems to that "too bad it's not RWD" comment tagged onto the end of many opinions - even if the car offers what could be considered superior driving dynamics - although a modern chassis not based in the 60s could cure that easily enough.

Last edited by SharpShooter_SS; 10-06-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:54 AM

I wonder if a switch to RWD would be good or bad for the MC. I have a feeling that alot of people who buy it, consider FWD a key selling point.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:56 AM

Me too. Outside this board not as many people want a firebreathing, tirespinning v8 monster... And even fewer people would actually buy one.

Thats why I say make a malibu coupe. For the people who want something "sports" car and not a "performance car" Even the most practical Camaro will be small and or intimidating to some people.

Its a shame Zeta is RWD only... Ford and Chrysler both have a good list of AWD optional cars. I know they arent flying off the lots but it could help.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I wonder if a switch to RWD would be good or bad for the MC. I have a feeling that alot of people who buy it, consider FWD a key selling point.
I'm sure people over at Chrysler were thinking the same thing when they introduced the 300 and Magnium. And look where they are now.

I think once people drive them, they will realize that the new RWD cars with traction control are miles apart from the RWD cars 20 years ago, and just a good as the FWD cars in the snow. And like Good PH.D said, if they want FWD, there is still the Malibu for them.

I also think there are people that won't buy the current MC because of the fact that it is FWD. When they hear 300 HP to the front wheels, they think torque steer.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 AM

Origianlly posted by Z284ever
I think there are valid points on both sides of this particular equation. Probably to the point of nullifying the pros and/or the cons to each side making the decision moot. Obviously the car would have its selling points and fans no matter which way GM goes, but no matter which drive layout is finally set, a styless and bland coupe won't set the market on fire.

I do know that I probably wouldn't (and haven't to this point) buy one because it is FWD, but that has more to do with the fact that I owned one when they were in fact RWD. Having driven both variants of MCs, I still prefer the "old" layout and not just for the Monte.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Me too. Outside this board not as many people want a firebreathing, tirespinning v8 monster... And even fewer people would actually buy one.
Maybe not. But I think there is a great market for nice, semi-sporty V-8 coupes. Think half-price 645i....
Old 10-06-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by routesixtysixer
Maybe not. But I think there is a great market for nice, semi-sporty V-8 coupes. Think half-price 645i....
A $40,000 V8 coupe? That sounds like something Cadillac should handle.

Quick Reply: How do you make a case for a new Monte Carlo....