Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Holden update/roundup from the auto show

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM
I assume the Buick alpha will be a production version of the Riviera concept?

Part of me really hates that Cadillac is Sigma-izing Alpha. But then again, I'd be happy with it as long as Buick gets some of the love and Chevrolet has some sort of RWD alternative (Zeta lite or a slightly decontented Alpha)

My question is this; will the next, larger CTS come from Alpha (given Cadillacs huge vested energy in the project) Or will it remain on some form of Sigma (and remain the ONLY model on Sigma)

It's sounds like Sigma will be replaced by a stretched version of Alpha, (Alpha +).
Old 01-17-2010, 02:01 PM

So Alpha+ is still on. Awesome!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I don't think that you can "mix and match" steering systems between two completely different architectures. Besides, someone very close to the program told me that there will not be another Zeta Camaro.
I don't see why an updated Zeta2 Camaro couldn't learn from the work done for the Alpha steering. If the next Camaro is Zeta2, then it's not a Zeta Camaro.

I would expect that there has been no firm decision made at this point, as we've had the current Camaro less than a year. Thus, everything could still change.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
I don't see why an updated Zeta2 Camaro couldn't learn from the work done for the Alpha steering. If the next Camaro is Zeta2, then it's not a Zeta Camaro.

I would expect that there has been no firm decision made at this point, as we've had the current Camaro less than a year. Thus, everything could still change.
It's one thing to learn from, it's completely another to transplant. Also, the current Camaro is on Zeta 2. Maybe you meant Zeta 3.

Of course you are correct, anything could change at any time for any reason. But currently, there are no plans for another Zeta Camaro.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Id like to know what will Holden use. Are they gunna get thier own chassis? Or will Alpha for the basis for the next gen Commodore?
Holden is working hard on cutting mass out of Zeta, so this could only help for the future of Camaro.
I think Camaro's fate is tied into Zeta and Holden.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM

It's one thing to learn from, it's completely another to transplant. Also, the current Camaro is on Zeta 2. Maybe you meant Zeta 3.
How about Zeta3-lite then?

Of course you are correct, anything could change at any time for any reason. But currently, there are no plans for another Zeta Camaro.
But there aren't plans for an Alpha Camaro either, right? It's one thing for people to be pondering this or chatting about it over the water cooler or a beer, but it's another for someone to be tasked to write up a formal proposal.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:59 PM

How about Zeta3-lite then?

But there aren't plans for an Alpha Camaro either, right? .
Apparently..............there...........are....... ......................
Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM

One thing that I don't understand here is if Alpha is supposedly a premium platform, how does this tie up with Camaro?

If, as Guy pointed out, the Camaro becomes a recipient of a low cost version of Alpha, does this not imply that it will become a compromised Camaro?

Am I joining all the dots correctly or not?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
One thing that I don't understand here is if Alpha is supposedly a premium platform, how does this tie up with Camaro?

If, as Guy pointed out, the Camaro becomes a recipient of a low cost version of Alpha, does this not imply that it will become a compromised Camaro?

Am I joining all the dots correctly or not?
Let's not forget where the ATS's price points might be - premium entry level . Also, what kind of cash are people dropping for Camaro's nowadays?

Is the Malibu compromised because it shares an architecture with Buick and soon Cadillac?

Compromises? Sure, every architecture has them. The hope is that Camaro's compromises will be fewer tomorrow than they are today.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 AM

Let's not forget where the ATS's price points might be - premium entry level . Also, what kind of cash are people dropping for Camaro's nowadays?
The worry is that for the cost you pay for a current V8 Camaro you will pay for the next alpha camaro, except it's engine will be a V6 due to alpha being designed for I4 or V6 engines.

That, in most peoples eyes, will be a downgrade and very bad for sales if gas prices aren't high.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by crYnOid
The worry is that for the cost you pay for a current V8 Camaro you will pay for the next alpha camaro, except it's engine will be a V6 due to alpha being designed for I4 or V6 engines.

That, in most peoples eyes, will be a downgrade and very bad for sales if gas prices aren't high.
If the next gen Mustang has a V8 - the Alpha Camaro will have a V8.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Id like to know what will Holden use. Are they gunna get thier own chassis? Or will Alpha for the basis for the next gen Commodore?
Holden is working hard on cutting mass out of Zeta, so this could only help for the future of Camaro.
I think Camaro's fate is tied into Zeta and Holden.
Looks like Holden will use Zeta for the foreseeable future. I don't think the refreshed Holdens will lose as much mass as some people think. Maybe they'll go on the same Jenny Craig diet, which Doug Houlihan bragged about the Camaro being on (oh yes, I still remember that comment).

I wonder what the final outcome will be with the Falcon. If the next gen Falcon is actually smaller and based on the Mustang's architecture, perhaps Holden may (or not) follow suit with a smaller Commodore late decade.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 PM

Looks like Holden will use Zeta for the foreseeable future. I don't think the refreshed Holdens will lose as much mass as some people think. Maybe they'll go on the same Jenny Craig diet, which Doug Houlihan bragged about the Camaro being on (oh yes, I still remember that comment).
Two things.

1. I don't think an Alpha with a V8 will lose as much mass as some people think.

2. The Camaro came a good 250 pounds under the Challenger, where the G8 was within 100 of the Charger. So the Camaro may very well have started out above 4000.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Two things.

1. I don't think an Alpha with a V8 will lose as much mass as some people think.

2. The Camaro came a good 250 pounds under the Challenger, where the G8 was within 100 of the Charger. So the Camaro may very well have started out above 4000.

1. That would suck, huh!? We really can only speculate on what it might weigh. The only thing that is known for sure is that GM knows that the current one is overmassed, and they also want the next one to shed substantial poundage. Ruess's recent public comments on that were encouraging.

2. Scary, to think this is the featherweight version.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM

gezzzz what took gm so long to think about that idea ... how about just build them here also the people down under have their sh@t together take a look at the holden web site and how many different configurations they come in..........there is a bunch of monkeys running gm ..... no wonder they have such a hard time selling cars.... GM wake up!!!! because you guys have no idea what the America people want ... you should had the g8 or a car like that out years ago .... so what do they do make the g8 for a few years and kill it just like the gto .........

Quick Reply: Holden update/roundup from the auto show