Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Highly underrated or overlooked cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 05:32 PM

Highly underrated or overlooked cars

What are some of the highly underrated or overlooked cars out there? I'm talking public opinion/sales, not underrated horsepower wise.

I was just thinking about this because I recently spent some time driving around a Subaru Legacy wagon. It was factory turbo'd, and had a manual with a short throw shifter. The car was seriously quick and really fun to drive. I kept having to remind myself I was in a wagon. This has got to be my vote for a commonly overlooked, but very fun car.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:05 PM

Re: Highly underrated or overlooked cars

My Mazda 6s. Honestly i just thought the car looked sexy, but after driving one, for the dollar value, it realllllly is zoom zoom zoom. The car is afwly fun to drive and has great features that are standard. The number of compliments as always. a few basic aeshetic mods and car looks alot more expensive than it is.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:17 PM

Well, it's been said here a lot, but the GTO might be the most overlooked and underappreciated cars around today. Everyone who actually sees it, sits in it, and drives it cannot beleive that the thing is actually a General Motors product.
Another one I'd say is the Saab 9-2x. Sure, it's just a touched up WRX, and not worth 7k more than the Subie. However, once you deduct the ton of money in rebates, your actually getting a touched up WRX for less than the price of a WRX. That's quite a deal.
The last one on my list is the Honda Accord. Yes I said Accord. Yes it sells a lot, but I don't think many people - even their owners - appreciate how good a vehicle it is. I drove my friends 4 banger and was amazed by how well it handled. Even the 4 cylinder was powerful, as long as you kept it on a boil. Also, it felt so nice to have a manual trans in a sedan. It just makes driving so much more a joy. I hope the G6 GTP is that fun.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Another one I'd say is the Saab 9-2x. Sure, it's just a touched up WRX, and not worth 7k more than the Subie. However, once you deduct the ton of money in rebates, your actually getting a touched up WRX for [i
less[/i] than the price of a WRX. That's quite a deal.
I agree. That's why there is one in my driveway! If you can get GMS and buy it by the end of may you can get the base $27,645 9-2X Aero w/ $8000 in rebates. GMS + rebates = $17,500 purchase price! Try getting a new WRX for within $4000 of that price.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 PM

LS1's! Honestly, outside of huge car enthusiasts, nobody really knows about them.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
LS1's! Honestly, outside of huge car enthusiasts, nobody really knows about them.
Everybody knows about Corvette engines...
Old 05-28-2005, 12:50 AM

Toyota Avalon. Just as luxurous as the same priced Lexus ES330, with a lot more room and horsepower. Not to mention it has been better than anything Buick/Olds has made for the past 10 years since it came out.(that might change with the new Lucrene though). If you want a luxury land barge, its only fault is the lack of a soul.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:53 AM

Lexus LS430. Just as much luxury as a Benz S-class or BMW 7 series, for a lot less dough. Not to mention it is a lot more reliable. If you can get past paying $60,000 for a bland looking car, it is the finest luxury machine short of a Maybach, Rolls, or Bently.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:51 AM

SVT Contour!

Old 05-28-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by WJH'sFormula
SVT Contour!

You know, I was going to say that...but since I own one, I thought that would be biased.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Mitsu 3k GT Vr4. This car was ahead of its time. I've been mulling over getting one for a long time now and may jump on a 95 or 96 next spring. Despite the high maintanance costs and such, i still want one.

You could probably say the same for the Japanese sportcars from that era. The Rx7's TT FD, the 300zxTT's, the supra TT's, and the Toyota Mr2 turbo. All where ahead of their time, but none realized that, and poor sales lead to their demise. Now on the used car market, they're finally getting serious recognition and some of them are highly sought after. None even realized their true potential and appeal till after their deaths. The japanese performance offering stateside hasn't been the same ever since though Subaru is picking up the slack, Mitsu's brought over the EVO, and Nissan's mulling over the skyline GTR. It still isn't the same.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:50 AM

Another vote for GTO. MANY people I have talked to that said they didn't like it were shut up by one simple question: "Have you ever once went to a dealer's lot and looked at one?" The answer for amny is No. If you have objectively looked at the car, and din't like it, NO SWEAT, everyone has their opinion... But don't hate it because C&D told you to .

Also to some degree, I feel the LT1 cars don't get the respect they deserve. Once the LT1s starting getting affordable on the used market the LS1 hit, and stole alot of their thunder. If you don't believe me, go look at the kill section. Once someone claims they beat an LS1, its not because their car is more powerful, its because the LS1 driver couldn't drive, or he didn't know they were racing... Stock for stock, of course an LS1 will win, but once the part start going on, its up to who has a bigger wallet.

I don't know how many people are quick to great things about LS1s, and will simply dog the **** out of the LT1.I guess they haven't crossed paths with the "Right" LT1
Old 05-28-2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Mitsu 3k GT Vr4. This car was ahead of its time. I've been mulling over getting one for a long time now and may jump on a 95 or 96 next spring. Despite the high maintanance costs and such, i still want one.

You could probably say the same for the Japanese sportcars from that era. The Rx7's TT FD, the 300zxTT's, the supra TT's, and the Toyota Mr2 turbo. All where ahead of their time, but none realized that, and poor sales lead to their demise. Now on the used car market, they're finally getting serious recognition and some of them are highly sought after. None even realized their true potential and appeal till after their deaths. The japanese performance offering stateside hasn't been the same ever since though Subaru is picking up the slack, Mitsu's brought over the EVO, and Nissan's mulling over the skyline GTR. It still isn't the same.
i agree with the 3kgt vr4
those cars are fast, look good, and have the awd
the maintenance costs were the main reason i didn't buy one, like you said

another one was the conquest tsi/mitsu starion cars
those were probably one of the most overlooked
offered great performance (15s stock which this was pretty fast back in the 80s) and with a manual boost controller, could go a lot quicker
my uncle had one and it was one sweet car, a lot of tech gadgets too
i might pick one of these up one day as even the most pristine ones usually go for only 6k or so
Old 05-28-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
i agree with the 3kgt vr4
those cars are fast, look good, and have the awd
the maintenance costs were the main reason i didn't buy one, like you said

another one was the conquest tsi/mitsu starion cars
those were probably one of the most overlooked
offered great performance (15s stock which this was pretty fast back in the 80s) and with a manual boost controller, could go a lot quicker
my uncle had one and it was one sweet car, a lot of tech gadgets too
i might pick one of these up one day as even the most pristine ones usually go for only 6k or so
I had the starion/conquest in mind too. It too was ahead of its time, and it never got the recognition it deserved.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Im 100% with Werm on the legacy's . Right size proportions on the outside , attractive design , a luxurious interior , AWD , and Turbo charged engine with a manual . They are qwicker than the blown grand prix's to boot .

The new STS gets ALOT of unfair justice . Not all of them are full boat northstar cars with a $60K plus sticker .

The 89-92 5.7TPI and 5speed(only which had only 10 less HP than a 5.7 @235hp ) 5.0TPI Irocs and Z28's . They were a Far better car than the fox body mustang of the day , and a Z or Iroc with either of those 2 engines was NOT slower than a 5.0 GT . So many Irocs and Z28's were built with the automatic TPI 305 which had an enemic 205 hp or has the worse yet automatic with 2.73 gears 170 hp TBI engine ....yikes . No wonder hardly anyone will show the later 3 gens any love . When in fact the 91-92 Z28's are imo , some of the coolest F-bodies ever made , and the 5.7 TPI rides are equal to or within a tick of a 93-97 auto LT1 car . My 350 89 Iroc went 14.5@98 stock , my 90 350 Iroc went 14.4@96 stock , my 91 350 GTA trans am went 14.4@97 stock and my 92 350 Z28 went 14.3@97 stock . Not exactly the turds there made out to be

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 05-28-2005 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Highly underrated or overlooked cars