Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

HEY LUTZ! Maybee you should reconsider alot of things..LIKE NAMING IT CAMARO!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:50 AM

Re: HEY LUTZ! Maybee you should reconsider alot of things..LIKE NAMING IT CAMARO!

Bob Lutz (along with CEO Wagoner, NA President Gary Cowger, and especially Chevrolet's former general manager, Kut Ritter) actually got the Camaro rolling again when the previous GM hiarchy was content to let it RIP indefinately. If it wasn't for Lutz, Mustang would probally run unopposed for quite a few years instead of just 2 or so.

As far as the Camaro name, I just want everyone to consider a few things & come to your own conclusion as to what will happen to the Camaro name.

1. Camaro is one of the top 5 recognized automobile labels in the US.

2. General Motors wasted no time whatsoever to tear the Ste. Therese plant down to the dirt when the 1 year extention on the plant standing expired. In fact the speed it was done stunned the locals.

3. GM sold a sizeable portion of the plant's property to a large hardware store chain even before the ink was dry on the demolition extention. The size of the property sold was large enough that the plant (with the remaining land) wouldn't have been useful as a automotive production facility.

4. GM has fullfilled all obligations of it's Ste. Therese contract. In addition, all it's former workers are either reassigned, or will be up for pension as of this coming January.

5. GM never does anything without a backup plan and an alternative plan to the backup plan in case there are problems with the plan they intended to use from the start.

Don't confuse my defending an article I wrote against someone saying it jepordizes the Camaro name with what is actually going to take place with the Camaro name.

This is just about as clear a picture as anyone's going to give you.

Now, come to your own conclusions.

Last edited by guionM; 07-26-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:59 AM

Re: HEY LUTZ! Maybee you should reconsider alot of things..LIKE NAMING IT CAMARO!

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
Chrysler?

Ewwww...dont even mention that word

Old 07-26-2004, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
But he hasnt made a Camaro yet, so hes worthles...right?
yup
Old 07-26-2004, 03:28 PM

Ummm......yeah.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:34 PM

Like others said, YEP.

Camaro and Corvette are two main reasons I'm a GM fan. I like to see other GM models compete and get better so GM can make more money. More money equeals more spent in making better powertrains, interiors, etc. Which means my two beloved nameplates continue to evolve and get better. If Lutz brings back a car without the Camaro name, he may be good as gold to GM Corp. but to me, hes not worth much.

Im like stars though, if Camaro doesnt come back, I'll be buying another GM product (Corvette, probably used), so they're getting my money regardless. Bastages. However, others dont share this same feeling. I can see alot of hardcore Camaro fans going to DaimlerChrysler if the two door Charger rumors are true.

Last edited by SFireGT98; 07-26-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
I can see alot of hardcore Camaro fans going to DaimlerChrysler if the two door Charger rumors are true.

Like me, I am starting to get tire with all this thing about the Camaro name and the way GM apears to even thinks to make a RWD 2 doors and not call it Camaro,If there isn't a new Camaro I will buy a Charger especially if it comes 2 doors and keep my 2 LT1's

GM-> if you have doubts about the Camaro name, just make any other car but don't try to make it look like a Camaro and not call it Camaro
Old 07-26-2004, 05:23 PM

Talking Re: HEY LUTZ! Maybee you should reconsider alot of things..LIKE NAMING IT CAMARO!

Bob Lutz has done more for the enthusiasts then all of you, sans a few, combined.
Anyone else here can claim they were responsible for the Viper? Anyone?
How about if Zarrella was still in there? Would we all be happy then?
Please, if Lutz wasnt at GM, GM would have imploded. His progress in stressing quality has alone saved a lot of GM.
I agree totally..he is for a better word a god that came to GM..its how he is HURTING the potential buyer by these words..and his trend of naming new cars something diffrent..than established recognizable names...if he does say yes to Camaro since it is the car stlye its going after then fine..but if a last min dec by him to call it the Chevy Turd SS..forget it...

so yes, he hasnt made a Camaro yet, so hes worthless... to a Camaro buyer...who is looking for something from GM..like a Camaro

GuionM I read between the lines
Old 07-26-2004, 05:27 PM

Am I the only person here who actually really LIKES the style of the GTO? Personally, I think the car sans gfx and hood scoops looks fantastic. Granted, I am a current GP owner and the car isn't terribly far off an old GP, at least in profile and nose appearance.

But hey, the old GP was a well accepted, attractive car. Sure, the GTO may not be the most stylish thing in the world, but its true to its roots...a comfy 4 place upright coupe with a V8 and RWD. What the hell is the matter with that? Its the same price as an '02 WS6 people bought 14,000 alone of...and in my opinion, a better overall car.

To me, this car is kinda like an '80s GN without the mod potential...speaks softly, looks understated (granted the GN did have a somewhat-sinister blackout effect) and packs a wallop in a car that doesn't beat you up. Now that I think about it actually, I just sold my first GTO to a guy who has a 40k mile '86 GN in his garage
Old 07-26-2004, 06:28 PM

really in all seriousness, you people sound like the people in the Scion thread that were getting bashed for buying a car for its mantra and not its substance. for one to say that they wont buy a car unless it has a certain name is ASSININE. buy the car for what it is, not what its called. i know for damn certain i didnt buy my car because it was called a trans am. i bought it because i liked its looks, i liked its power plant, and i liked how it handled. the name and heritage was an added bonus. i guess im a dying breed of car buyer tho.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 87camracer
really in all seriousness, you people sound like the people in the Scion thread that were getting bashed for buying a car for its mantra and not its substance. for one to say that they wont buy a car unless it has a certain name is ASSININE. buy the car for what it is, not what its called. i know for damn certain i didnt buy my car because it was called a trans am. i bought it because i liked its looks, i liked its power plant, and i liked how it handled. the name and heritage was an added bonus. i guess im a dying breed of car buyer tho.
case in point...remeber the Ford Probe??? was supposed to be the Mustang...now think if a new RWD car from GM was not called Camaro what will it be called...probe?? would you still buy it??

I want a Camaro...and the name goes a long way with the car...I like saying I have a Camaro..
Old 07-26-2004, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 87camracer
Names and lineage mean alot on cars you covet.

Like your Trans Am for example....if it were called Transexual I Am.....something is lost.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Names and lineage mean alot on cars you covet.

Like your Trans Am for example....if it were called Transexual I Am.....something is lost.

Ya, lots of cars are going to be named "Transexual I Am"

You are taking the context of the discussion into a (bad) fantasy world.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed

According to Freud, that is a repressed childhood memory getting out.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
Chrysler?
He said non-import.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed

Lighten up Darth...what, are you the hall monitor, or something?

Quick Reply: HEY LUTZ! Maybee you should reconsider alot of things..LIKE NAMING IT CAMARO!