Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Here ya go boys: V8 Monte Carlo & Impalas by 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 08:44 AM

Talking Here ya go boys: V8 Monte Carlo & Impalas by 2006

At the risk of overkill, more official word of Impala & Monte Carlo's return to V8s and RWD.

Expect an official announcement at Chicago. As Mr Lutz said, Chevrolet performance fans won't want to miss the Chicago Auto Show this year!

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=09886100

Also, the C5 & Cavalier will debut to select dealers later this spring (I'm already plotting how to sneek in )

Last edited by guionM; 02-12-2003 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:48 AM

Hmmm... maybe some C6 (and new Cavalier replacement ) pics will leak out from that event as well...
Old 02-12-2003, 08:56 AM

It says V8....but doesn't specify RWD?????
Old 02-12-2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
It says V8....but doesn't specify RWD?????
It will be RWD, don't worry.

The original replacement program for Impala & Monte Carlo had it's plug pulled late 2001. It was initially scheduled to come out in 2005 on the same updated chassis the 2004 Grand Prix was on.

This program was killed in favor of a RWD full size Chevrolet. Chevy GM Mark Ritter partially hinted at this last winter when he said he'd prefer a RWD sedan sooner rather than later. Additional hints have been filtering out recently as events that GM couldn't keep secret unfolded. As I've always said, watch the factories to find out about future models, they gotta build them somewhere (and it takes a couple of years to gear them up).

The FWD LS1 Impala was never made because of runaway torque steer.

Finally, it seems to be pretty much common knowledge with suppliers & inside the industry that GM is going to a high volume RWD car by 06.

You don't think Ford made that 427 RWD concept car for sh*ts & giggles, do you?
Old 02-12-2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by guionM
My question to you is, do you think they made the 427ci v10 for sh*ts and giggles? That motor was/is the highlight of the whole concept.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:39 AM

RWD V8 Impala?

Hmmmm....

LS1? 4.8? 5.3?

I might have to buy one of those for wifey.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:42 AM

Ford's been holding the fort in the full sized RWD game pretty well ever since GM decided they didn't need that business anymore.

Hey, maybe if GM actually puts out some full size RWD V8's, they can get some cop car sales again. Gotta love how they just said "Please Ford, take the police car market, I don't want it..."

Although they did the same thing with the Camaro too.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by RiceEating5.0
My question to you is, do you think they made the 427ci v10 for sh*ts and giggles? That motor was/is the highlight of the whole concept.
It's very rare that concepts that reach production have the same engines or chassis as they were displayed with, so I wouldn't put any more stock in a V10 Crown Vic replacement as I would a Corvette suspensioned Chevrolet SS or a J-car based Solstice. Don't forget those alternate fuel powered concepts from Chrysler many years ago that became the current Chrysler LHs cars.

The 427s style & theme is what I'd put stock in, not the engine.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:11 PM

Question Any pics as to waht the new M.C.'s or Impy's would look like ?

I actually like the Impala LS' styling.

If only it where RWD & V-8 powered !!

Not sure about the ignition switch in the dash thing - what's up w/ that ?

Later !

Britt
Old 02-12-2003, 12:31 PM

Why not. GM just made a V-16 that they said will never make it to production, and that was GM's highlight of the show.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:08 PM

Hey guion, do you know what platform they will be using? Is it new, or something already in use elsewhere? Well, why don't I just get right down to it is it feasible for a Camaro?

-Mike
Old 02-12-2003, 03:19 PM

RWD V8 Impala.....
Old 02-12-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by transam8
Hey guion, do you know what platform they will be using? Is it new, or something already in use elsewhere? Well, why don't I just get right down to it is it feasible for a Camaro?

-Mike
It's that "Volume Sigma" everyone has heard so much about, which basically is the Holden VE under the skin.

The way it was explained to me is it's esentially a V car that's been redone with sigma suspension assemblies and made to US friendly specifications. My understanding is that although the chassis will be called something new, the V will be the starting point.

As far as it being feasible for Camaro, I'm sure it could be, especially if it doesn't have a rear subframe, just like the current Holden V car (the CTS Sigma does have a subframe...and it weighs almost 3600 lbs with a V6!).

This is just my opinion, but I think the Bengal would make a better light weight chassis. But I'm getting some indications the 5th gen won't go that way, & may infact become a unique body structure once again... but sharing suspension pieces with another line. Not an earth shaking revelation, but still noteworthy.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:51 PM

Thumbs up

This is just my opinion, but I think the Bengal would make a better light weight chassis. But I'm getting some indications the 5th gen won't go that way, & may infact become a unique body structure once again... but sharing suspension pieces with another line. Not an earth shaking revelation, but still noteworthy.
Wow. I'd say even the chance that a 5th gen could be a unique, independant structure is very noteworthy...

I didn't think there was much, if any, chance of that happening.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:03 PM

It's that "Volume Sigma" everyone has heard so much about, which basically is the Holden VE under the skin.

The way it was explained to me is it's esentially a V car that's been redone with sigma suspension assemblies and made to US friendly specifications. My understanding is that although the chassis will be called something new, the V will be the starting point.

As far as it being feasible for Camaro, I'm sure it could be, especially if it doesn't have a rear subframe, just like the current Holden V car (the CTS Sigma does have a subframe...and it weighs almost 3600 lbs with a V6!).

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info!

-Mike

Quick Reply: Here ya go boys: V8 Monte Carlo & Impalas by 2006