Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Has this been posted.?.(GM North American Pres.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Has this been posted.?.(GM North American Pres.)

Interesting perspective....

letter from Gary Cowger, GM North America President
-------------------
During its nearly 100 years, General Motors has been an enormous part of life in North America, while playing a huge role in both the North American and global economies. Ironically, organizations that have survived and prospered for that long are often taken for granted – both internally and externally – for the range of benefits they provide every day in improving and strengthening our way of life.

In light of non-North American competitors coming here and drawing attention to their good deeds in the American economy, we cannot overlook the fact that their contributions pale when compared to those of General Motors. So the next time someone tells you that there's no difference between GM and all the others, remember the facts:

• Every day, about one million people earn their living by helping GM build and sell cars in North America.
• Every month, 457,000 retirees and their spouses count on GM for pension checks. More than 1.1 million people receive health care benefits from GM.
• The domestic parts content for GM vehicles sold in North America is 82%. In contrast, Toyota's is less than half that, roughly 40%, while its profitable Lexus brand's domestic content is a mere 3.4%. For Nissan vehicles sold in North America, domestic content is about 38%, while Infiniti vehicles contain only 5.2% of parts produced here.
• In the past five years, GM has invested more than $20 billion in the U.S. GM's contribution to the U.S. Gross National Product is about 4 times that of Toyota.
• GM is committed to the environment. In 2000 and 2003, our global facilities reduced total waste generation by 13.7%, or 605,000 metric tons. From 1992 through 2002, GM facilities have reduced air emissions by 46%. Over the past eight years, GM has reduced its water consumption in North America by 37%, equal to the amount of water used by 75,000 North American households in a year. From 1995 through the end of 2003, GM reduced its North American energy use by 22%, which is the equivalent of the energy requirements of 142,000 homes for one year.
• The domestic auto manufacturers (GM, Ford and the Chrysler operation of DaimlerChrysler) manufacture 75% of all cars and trucks built in the United States. And the domestic manufacturers employ almost 90 percent of all American auto workers. The domestic manufacturers currently have about 470,000 direct employees in the United States, nearly 10 times as many as the Japanese transplants, who employ 49,000. Including our supplier and distribution reach, GM, Ford and Chrysler provide 23 jobs for every 100 vehicles sold in the United States – nearly twice as many as our Japanese counterparts.
• More than 85% of the total investment in the U.S. auto industry since 1980 has been made by domestic manufacturers. Combined, we spend more than $16 billion on research and development each year – more than any other industry.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:23 PM

Re: Has this been posted.?.(GM North American Pres.)

I think this pretty much scotches the argument that "there ain't no difference if you buy furrin!"
Old 03-11-2005, 05:54 AM

Based on that article, buying Domestic does help out the economy more than Foreign counterparts.

On that note I am looking into a 2005 4Runner. The only GM vehicle in the same category I would look at is the Buick (Rendevous) V-8 version. Trailblazer is out of the question. Not great quality at all. I would love a full size Yukon, but my wife would run cars over with it, too big, so when looking at this segment (4Runner), there is not much from GM that I like.

I would consider a GM vehicle first if they had somethng I liked. Problem is there is not much coming out from GM now that gets my attention.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:21 AM

Before you jump to the (also quite nice) Rainier, check out an Envoy. It is priced basically the same as the TB, but in my opinion is much more upscale looking, especially on the inside (but also quite a bit on the outside). I mostly dig the TB's looks, but the interior just doesn't do it for me. The dash on the Envoy is much different, with some (faux) wood trim and chrome accents. I personally really like it quite a bit. Unlike the Colorado/Canyon twins, there is quite a bit of diffentiation between the Trailblazer and Envoy. They are different enough to warrant a separate look at the Envoy imo...

One of my best friends works for Toyota, and he just got an '04 4Runner V8 4x4. It is a pretty nice vehicle, although I am quite surprised by how bouncy/harsh the ride is. I suppose it is great if you are going to do some real offroading with it, but I found it to be a bit stiff for a daily ride (especially on Michigan's horrendous roads). The V8 did jump in hp for '05, although it still is no more than the line 6 in the Envoy (although it does have a torque advantage). Of course, the 5.3 in the Buick has an advantage yet over the V8 in the 4Runner... You can get the V8 in the short wheelbase Envoy, too, but only in Denali form, which drives the sticker up quite a bit.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Check 'em all out and get what works for you.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the info. Ok, it is the Rainer with the v-8 option, I mentioned the Rendevouz, my bad. One other reason why I did not consider the Trailblazer was you had to get the EXT with the v-8?? But you mention that the Envoy can be had with the v-8 with the short wheelbase. That is one of the main reasons why I wanted to check out the Rainer. Glad to hear the Envoy has a better interior also.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI
Thanks for the info. Ok, it is the Rainer with the v-8 option, I mentioned the Rendevouz, my bad. One other reason why I did not consider the Trailblazer was you had to get the EXT with the v-8?? But you mention that the Envoy can be had with the v-8 with the short wheelbase. That is one of the main reasons why I wanted to check out the Rainer. Glad to hear the Envoy has a better interior also.
Wait until this fall/late summer and you can get a short wheel base TrailBlazer with a 400HP 6.0L LS2 V8 you can get it in both AWD & RWD

Last edited by Z28x; 03-11-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Wait until this fall/late summer and you can get a short wheel base TrailBlazer with a 400HP 6.0L LS2 V8 you can get it in both AWD & RWD
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Figured he was looking at '05 stuff, and I think the Envoy Denali is available now (though it will have some sticker shock value, I'm sure, before haggling and discounts anyway). The SS Trailblazer, as I've mentioned before, is an awesome truck.

Boy, we hijacked the living hell out of this thread...