Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GTO a failure?...... Um.... No!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 PM

BTW...My GTO has a sunroof
Old 01-13-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS
seems Transport Canada relaxed its rules on bumper standards or there was some other parting of the seas... I really thought the day would never come when I could consider a "new" GTO.
That was last year. The U.S. relaxed standards back around 1982, but Canada never followed suit until 2008. It was a somewhat controversial change up there.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM

That was last year. The U.S. relaxed standards back around 1982, but Canada never followed suit until 2008. It was a somewhat controversial change up there.
Odd, it happened and I'm not sure when in 08; I never even noticed anything even remotely controversial or anything else either for that matter. I guess I was too distracted by the pending Camaro. I've checked the Transport Canada site a number of times since 2004 when the GTO first arrived, but I only ever saw it as illegal for import.

In fact I noticed that GTOs were being imported to Canada only by accident - it seems warranties originating (obviously) in the US are being honoured as well (at least at a couple of the GM dealers here that are selling them).

as a fellow canadian i know how you feel. theres a nice black on black 05 for sale 4hrs from me and its already been imported.
I can't get one just yet, besides it's the dead of winter here, but the prospect of a nice, low mileage 6sp GTO just moved to the head of my list. Having been here on cz28.com for a while now, I know that there are a few of us Canadians that were interested in the GTO when it hit the US, but were left without the option of getting one then. At the moment there are no GTOs east of Quebec for sale (yet) as far as I can see and for that matter there don't appear to be more than a handful nationwide.

Last edited by SharpShooter_SS; 01-13-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Odd, it happened and I'm not sure when in 08; I never even noticed anything even remotely controversial or anything else either for that matter. I guess I was too distracted by the pending Camaro. I've checked the Transport Canada site a number of times since 2004 when the GTO first arrived, but I only ever saw it as illegal for import.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/27/w...per-standards/

According to that, it doesn't take effect until Sep 1 of this year.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 AM

I can't get one just yet, besides it's the dead of winter here, but the prospect of a nice, low mileage 6sp GTO just moved to the head of my list. Having been here on cz28.com for a while now, I know that there are a few of us Canadians that were interested in the GTO when it hit the US, but were left without the option of getting one then. At the moment there are no GTOs east of Quebec for sale (yet) as far as I can see and for that matter there don't appear to be more than a handful nationwide.
well winter is the best time to buy one!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 AM

Wink

I agree, and great post Guy! I don't want to hear anyone bitch about me making a long post, as I've never even come close to that much text in one post...lol!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 PM

Guy:

Thank you!, thank you!, thank you!

You said it so well that I have nothing more to add.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Guy:

You might want to check this out:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=27725
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by CaminoLS6
Guy:

You might want to check this out:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=27725
Posted here by Charlie yesterday.

PCS is a real piece of work:
I think this should come from me to soften the blow somewhat

The thing is, the title is "GM snuffs out Holden's global RWD dream". But does it really? There will be a Zeta2, which will presumably be exported in relatively small numbers, and then there will eventually be an Alpha, if GM survives, and that will probably go to Holden.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:47 PM

I don't know what to believe anymore.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 PM

That was a great post and a very informative read. Thanks for the info!

I sold my 02 Z-28 to my nephew so I could buy a goat back in March of 06. I gotta tell ya....it was the best decision I have ever made on a car buy. I still get an SEG when I drive it. The only things I miss are the T-tops. I have had two Camaros and the wife, one Firebird and a GT mousetang. For the money, there is not better car. It's that simple. The power is awesome right off the show room floor. The interior has nice styling and quality materials. And I have even thought since I first saw one that it is a nice looking car....not overly aggressive but it grows on ya. Particularly if you know its abilities. It responds to performance mods well. There's nothing NOT to like about it in my opinion. but then again I'm prejudiced. I still get lots of compliments on it everywhere I go.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 02 Qruzin
That was a great post and a very informative read. Thanks for the info!

I sold my 02 Z-28 to my nephew so I could buy a goat back in March of 06. I gotta tell ya....it was the best decision I have ever made on a car buy. I still get an SEG when I drive it. The only things I miss are the T-tops. I have had two Camaros and the wife, one Firebird and a GT mousetang. For the money, there is not better car. It's that simple. The power is awesome right off the show room floor. The interior has nice styling and quality materials. And I have even thought since I first saw one that it is a nice looking car....not overly aggressive but it grows on ya. Particularly if you know its abilities. It responds to performance mods well. There's nothing NOT to like about it in my opinion. but then again I'm prejudiced. I still get lots of compliments on it everywhere I go.
Agreed.

I miss mine quite a bit, but then I thought I'd be able to buy it's replacement starting at the end of this year.

Now that's not to be

So I'm not too happy with GM these days.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 PM

2 things about that write up **** me off...

1) Why did GM ALLOW the media to bill it as "the GTO was a bust" s opposed to the reality of federal regulations?

2) Why in the world does GM seem to have the uncanny ability to take 2 steps forward and then ALWAYS one step back? Some of the VERY MINOR and COMMON SENSE issues that they miss astounds me. (For example; the dealer roll out)
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM

I do not think it was a bust or a failure, but I do know many people did not like it that were eager for it to come out. The car created a lot of negative opinions. Enough were sold to justify it's existance for sure. It will always go down as a car that got mixed reviews though.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI
I do not think it was a bust or a failure, but I do know many people did not like it that were eager for it to come out. The car created a lot of negative opinions. Enough were sold to justify it's existance for sure. It will always go down as a car that got mixed reviews though.
You are correct, and it's sad really. GM had a real winner here, and they blew it. People are gaga over the freaking Mustang. I've had one and cannot figure it out. Other than the fact it is a very affordable pony car, it loses in all respects to the GTO AND the Camaro/ WS6. I have read a lot of the reviews and agree with maybe 5% of them. The writers got it wrong, and so did GM in its marketing of the car. But whatever, every morning and afternoon when I get in it....I know there ain't much out there on the road that can touch it in most respects. That's enough for an SEG all by itself

I'd love to see another generation of it built on the Zeta platform. In the mean time I'll be watching the Camaro and Challenger for my next big purchase in a few years. For now though I intend to drive my goat till the wheels fall off

Last edited by 02 Qruzin; 01-14-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: GTO a failure?...... Um.... No!