Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Great DTS review brings question IS RWD always the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Great DTS review brings question IS RWD always the right direction?

Cadillac's Old School DTS
by Matt Vella

Editor's Rating:

The Good: Smooth ride, good acceleration, comfy interior, reasonably priced options

The Bad: Crude parking system, good deal of float in the suspension

The Bottom Line: Built for comfort, and that's just fine

Reader Reviews

View Slide Show
Up Front
Cadillac's best-selling model last year wasn't the zippy, entry-level CTS. Nor was it the unabashedly gaudy Escalade sport-utility vehicle. And it certainly wasn't the funky-fresh SRX crossover. No, Cadillac's best-seller was a model with all the sex-appeal of an orthopedic shoe—the Old School, full-sized DTS.
This practically glowing review of the DTS raised a question for me. Is RWD the right direction for all markets? Sure it can be said that for sports cars and towing trucks RWD or RWD based drivetrains make the most sense but the DTS sales numbers don't like it is outselling the CTS and is more expensive to boot, CTS-V not included. So is RWD the right direction or should GM continue to offer a FWD land yacht?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 PM

well maybee there is room for a FWD large sedan??? or just do not change to much and still sell it like it is..RWD or FWD?? is it a deciding factor?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:12 PM

I think some of the RWD hype for luxo cars is due to the "me too" game because MB and BMW doe it and the rest seem to want to follow to some degree. I have no problem with Caddy sticking to FWD but they are trying to change their image and to do so they need to compete with the brands whom lead and they all offer sporty luxo cars and that mean RWD. The last gen STS (FWD) was a good car and certainly well equiped to fight the German brands but when it was tested against them it lost out on the "fun" or handling areas. It seems that buyers in this catagory seem to want some sport with their luxury and Caddy feels that to offer the sport means giving them RWD. But I still think the DTS has a place in the market and like the review above suggests there is nothing wrong with a FWD Caddy if people keep buying them.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 PM

Yes they should offer a FWD land yacht... As a Buick.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Yes they should offer a FWD land yacht... As a Buick.
QFT.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:04 AM

I don't think anyone can emphatically say 'RWD is right'. It's a bit like OHV vs DOHC... the particular application suits the vehicle differently - there is no right or wrong. Both configurations work and most people don't really care.

If versatility is a higher priority, then there is no rear diff on a FWD so space in the trunk and rear passenger compartment is improved. However, if sports handling is a higher priority, RWD definitely offers significant handling advantages as f:r weight distribution endows the car with better balance.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:01 AM

I don't think the DTS sells better because of it's FWD archtecture.
I think it sells better because all the old people want a 5 or 6 passenger barge that floats down the road and isn't too expressive in terms of styling. Like the Caddys of the old days.
The CTS & STS doesn't appeal to them, NOT because of their RWD, but because of their sportier, more European intentions.

The DTS and the Town Car are the only cars left for the consumer who wants a truly American luxo-cruiser.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:12 AM

Besides, FWD doesn't really expose itself under light driving conditions. When driven how most older drivers drive them, the limitations of FWD aren't apparent. But if WE were to drive one, we would probably complain . I know my SS is FWD....every time I drive it... . It's still a fun car though.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:23 AM

The only thing that would make anyone pause about the performance of a GXP Grand Prix is the torque steer...and that's only when you're nailing it. In a DTS, how often do you REALLY nail it?

I for one am sorry to see nearly everything above a G6 going to RWD. I respect RWD, and appreciate it for what it is. But in cold climates with a lot of ice and snow, it can be a significant limitation when people DON'T want the added expense and hassle of snow tires. In the most recent ice storm we had around here, my Magnum RT demo was more composed than I expected, but still hated getting started on a hill. If I had my choice, there's no way I'd choose RWD over FWD for a year-round vehicle in the Northeast. Even in a VERY unusually mild winter around here, RWD can still pose issues in icy conditions...not just snow. My girlfreind and I both really wanted a used CTS, and could've afforded it...yet the Comp G got the nod almost solely because its FWD.

That, and the fact that the interior of the CTS is as bad as the Comp G, while not even adding cool things like HUD
Old 01-20-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
I for one am sorry to see nearly everything above a G6 going to RWD. I respect RWD, and appreciate it for what it is. But in cold climates with a lot of ice and snow, it can be a significant limitation when people DON'T want the added expense and hassle of snow tires. In the most recent ice storm we had around here, my Magnum RT demo was more composed than I expected, but still hated getting started on a hill. If I had my choice, there's no way I'd choose RWD over FWD for a year-round vehicle in the Northeast. Even in a VERY unusually mild winter around here, RWD can still pose issues in icy conditions...not just snow. My girlfreind and I both really wanted a used CTS, and could've afforded it...yet the Comp G got the nod almost solely because its FWD.
Stability control makes this a non-issue.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 PM
slt

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
QFT.
wrong forum
Old 01-20-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
The DTS and the Town Car are the only cars left for the consumer who wants a truly American luxo-cruiser.
There is Lucerne, there is also the 300 but I dont know if that fits your definition of American.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by rlchv70
Stability control makes this a non-issue.
Uhm, wrong. ESP is standard on my RT demo. ESP is nothing more than a band aid for a drive system that does NOT work as well in icy conditions...period. ESP keeps you from spinning...however, if ALL THE WHEELS DO IS SPIN FROM A STOP, I ask you...

HOW WILL ESP SOLVE THIS??? THAT is the issue...nice try though. Once you get going, RWD is no problem...its getting going that is the problem.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:35 PM

I think the better question is even though the DTS was Cadillac's best seller last year, what was the average age of the buyer?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mastrdrver
I think the better question is even though the DTS was Cadillac's best seller last year, what was the average age of the buyer?
I think an EVEN better question is who pushed the resale value off a cliff?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=&keywordsfyc=

Quick Reply: Great DTS review brings question IS RWD always the right direction?