Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Goodbye to my SS..and childhood.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 09:03 PM

Goodbye to my SS..and childhood.

Well guys, as you can see I've been a member since this board was started..although I don't post frequently. I just thought I'd write to say goodbye, because I sold my 1998 Camaro SS a few weeks ago.

I now have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator...something my wife wanted...I like it ok...but I do miss the sports car feel.

However I have to admit that as pleased as I was with my camaro, it was starting to bug me in a few ways..first, it was bright red and I'm 32 years old...people stared at me like I was a punk when I was in it....I felt a bit like I was driving a kid's car...like maybe it wasn't mature enough...or wasn't me....I guess I've changed.

The car also had 110,000 miles and began having "issues"..I had to replace the air conditioner....which required selling one of my wife's kidneys. The rear end started making noise and I noticed small plumes of smoke emanating from the tail pipe from time to time. My wife told me that if any more trouble surfaced, the next kidney sold would be mine..and I wasn't about to give up a vital organ for any car.....my wife's? yea...but she didn't have another to spare.

So the car is history guys..and so is my interest in Camaro SS's....but who knows...that might change someday...when I get 45yrs old, maybe I'll have a midlife crisis and buy a vintage 1998 SS....with all the toys and a few things I couldn't afford on my original.

Another thing, it sure is weird driving this Lincoln...I've got old people gawking at my ride instead of teenagers!!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:32 PM
cmc

Re: Goodbye to my SS..and childhood.

Originally posted by 98camaross
Well guys, as you can see I've been a member since this board was started..although I don't post frequently. I just thought I'd write to say goodbye, because I sold my 1998 Camaro SS a few weeks ago.

I now have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator...something my wife wanted...I like it ok...but I do miss the sports car feel.
Sorry to see you go, but I've rented one of these before. Frankly I didn't want to return it. Wonderful, wonderful car. White, tan interior, air conditioned seats, sunroof, premium sound, rear seat DVD... it handled better than a lot of older (early 90s) cars I've driven, and what power!

The only thing I'd warn you against is using anything less than premium. There's a big problem with those engines where the valves on the #3 and #7 cylinders burn up due to detonation, and to fix/replace the engine... the body must be removed. That and the 11.6 MPG average fuel economy I got has placed it firmly in the realm of "mistress" rather than "wife".
Old 04-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Banned

However I have to admit that as pleased as I was with my camaro, it was starting to bug me in a few ways..first, it was bright red and I'm 32 years old...people stared at me like I was a punk when I was in it....I felt a bit like I was driving a kid's car...like maybe it wasn't mature enough...or wasn't me....I guess I've changed.

Another thing, it sure is weird driving this Lincoln...I've got old people gawking at my ride instead of teenagers!!
I really can understand the big SUV thing, but going from a SS to a Navigator... Dude, you really did want to escape from a more youthful image.

If kids are no longer staring, it might be because the "image thing" has rocketed right past the latest Navigator. Look at any hip-hop video, and the Hummer H2 is the new symbol of affluence. Last year it was the Escalade.

Personally, if I was dropping $50K+ on a swanky SUV, the H2 would be tops on my list. Its unique, has some offroad credibility and the ladies seem to dig on it. Predictably, my second choice would have to be one of the three flavors of Escalade - but only with some massive rims. The latest Navigator just confuses me, though. Here's a $60k ride that's now heavier than the massive Expedition, but without any power upgrade. Hey, the interior was always premo, but the package make similar GM vehicles seem light and efficient. Its too bad it does have the new 6.0 liter Powerstroke diesel.

Anyway, it makes me sad to think you ditched your high mileage SS. From where I come from, the first sign of mechnical difficulties is the perfect opportunity for a complete engine rebuild. Wouldn't life have been more interesting with a 383 Camaro and a Navigator?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:32 PM

Wow, Im agreeing with redzed put this down in the record books! A Caddy Escalade EXT with some 22"s, pimp as hell.

My dad's 52 and he still plays with his toys. Car guys never get old, they just need a reminder from time to time why they love to go fast!
Old 04-25-2003, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Chuck!
Wow, Im agreeing with redzed put this down in the record books! A Caddy Escalade EXT with some 22"s, pimp as hell.
Get with the program: 24" rims are in.

Anyway, the most stunning Escalade I've ever seen had forged 18 inch alloys with fat offroad tires. It was chromed out with a full set of grill and brush guards. With a ride like that, you could take the pimpin' well beyond city limits.

Of course, a nicely fitted out H2 was sitting a few parking spaces away. They even had an extra spare mounted on the roof.
Cool!

All of these swanky SUV mods are enough to make me turn my back on sedans and coupes. Sure, I'll always keep my current Z28, but I think I'm going to blow my budget for my next commuter vehicle. A poor boy like me can't swing a H2, but a new Tahoe might do the trick. I don't especially like this "mommy-mobile," but I love the stuff in the GM accessories catalog. Is there anything wrong with buying a vehicle just to have a place to mount your new bull bars?
Old 04-25-2003, 12:17 AM

I thought 26s were the craze now? Those with the phat Yokohoma 26" wheels
Old 04-25-2003, 12:21 AM

Wink Why Lincoln?

Just a note, since we're talking about SUVs...I bought the Lincoln because it was about 10 grand cheaper than the base model escalade or H2...yea...that's right...go to any dealer and they'll chop the sh*t out of the price on a Lincoln...not so with the caddy or H2.

Another point...the H2 and caddy have more exterior appeal, but the Lincoln far surpasses them on interior quality and overall nice-ness inside...the lincoln has bucket seats and console shifter...caddy still has old column shifter and the interior just doesn't look as nice...and of course, although Hummer is adding new stuff each year, they are still comparitively more spartan than the average SUV when it comes to luxury and option availability....it just depends on which one you value the most....exterior or interior appeal.

In the end, the price did it for me...I was totally unable to afford the caddy or H2 but the Lincoln payments don't hurt me a bit....lots of car for the money.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:56 AM
Banned

Re: Why Lincoln?

Just a note, since we're talking about SUVs...I bought the Lincoln because it was about 10 grand cheaper than the base model escalade or H2...yea...that's right...go to any dealer and they'll chop the sh*t out of the price on a Lincoln...not so with the caddy or H2.

Another point...the H2 and caddy have more exterior appeal, but the Lincoln far surpasses them on interior quality and overall nice-ness inside...the lincoln has bucket seats and console shifter...caddy still has old column shifter and the interior just doesn't look as nice...and of course, although Hummer is adding new stuff each year, they are still comparitively more spartan than the average SUV when it comes to luxury and option availability....it just depends on which one you value the most....exterior or interior appeal.

In the end, the price did it for me...I was totally unable to afford the caddy or H2 but the Lincoln payments don't hurt me a bit....lots of car for the money.
If Navigators are seeing $10k discounts, it makes me wonder why Lincoln decided to dive into the realm of $60,000 MSRPs. Even the new Escalade V-12 won't fall much above $62k.

In addtion, thanks for pointing out another great mystery. Why does GM insist on having a column shifter on SUVs that have big center consoles anyway. Unless you're building a "cheap" Tahoe with a split bench, why not put the shifter where people want it. I can also agree about Navigator interior quality. Even the new car smell is better. On the other hand, the H2 is a stunner, inside and outl.

Last edited by redzed; 04-25-2003 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:59 AM
cmc

I was really disappointed when I finally drove an H2. It's more of a flashy image vehicle than a true luxury car, inside and out.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:15 AM

Argh....lost another enthusiast F-body driver to the SUV. Well unfortunatley thats nothing new. Lots of people that I have test drove used F-bodies were seeling them to buy a truck. No offnence but I hope I don't end up like you. I'll stuff baby seats in the back if I have to
Old 04-25-2003, 03:25 PM

Congrats on your Navi purchase.The H2 cant hold a candle to the appointments the Navi has.90% of SUV's dont go offroad anyway but what offroading youll most likely be doing it will be fine.Did you get the Heated/Cooled seats?
Old 04-25-2003, 03:25 PM

...However I have to admit that as pleased as I was with my camaro, it was starting to bug me in a few ways..first, it was bright red and I'm 32 years old...people stared at me like I was a punk when I was in it....I felt a bit like I was driving a kid's car...like maybe it wasn't mature enough...or wasn't me....I guess I've changed.

....Another thing, it sure is weird driving this Lincoln...I've got old people gawking at my ride instead of teenagers!!
Damn, and here I am at 38 and I'm still driving a '95 Z/28!

But then I did buy the Mrs. an '02 Tahoe LS a year ago... so far she hasn't forced me to sell the Z/28... even after buying a '67 Rallysport a month ago.

I notice that I do get "weird looks" when I'm driving my kid's red '95 Mustang. Maybe the reason I don't get "looks" at all in the Z/28 is because its a tame polo green, has the stock salad shooters and exhaust... heck the emblems are black so I'd guess that most non-camarofiles assume its a plain Jane six-banger. Heck I like that!!!

I guess had I bought red like I originally wanted to, I might feel the same way you do... but then I did once consider selling it... but then two things happened that changed all that... 1st, I discovered this website shortly after learning that GM killed the F-body... 2nd, my kid turned 16 and began showing an intrest in musclecars.

The last time I was Camaroless was after I sold by '68 RS to my brother and before I bought the '95... that was four years of living hell. I'll never go without a Camaro again!

They can take my life, but they'll never take away my Camaro

Last edited by jg95z28; 04-28-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:13 PM

Re: Re: Goodbye to my SS..and childhood.

Originally posted by jg95z28
They can take my life, but they'll never take away my Camaro

-Mike
Old 04-25-2003, 04:15 PM

Personally I think the H2 is for people that need to way overcompensate for something. Ive driven many of the real Hummers and the H2 is a joke. Anyways its a shame to lose another one to the SUV's.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:16 PM

Re: Re: Why Lincoln?

Originally posted by redzed
If Navigators are seeing $10k discounts, it makes me wonder why Lincoln decided to dive into the realm of $60,000 MSRPs. Even the new Escalade V-12 won't fall much above $62k.
When is the V-12 Escalade coming out?

Quick Reply: Goodbye to my SS..and childhood.