Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Good stuff: AE on Fritz, Big Ed and GM's culture.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 PM

More than anything, GM has needed a shake up in its culture. And that appears to be happening finally. It's only been due for 40 years.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ed 2001 SS
That may have been the whole point of the 90 day deadline...to shock people. Fritz was always destined to be an interim leader, so Ed may have figured that terminating him would serve to shock people out of neutral and into OD.
Indeed. However I have to wonder if such a high-profile comment from Whitacre wasn't well thought out with Fritz beforehand. What if Fritz took this job knowing he wouldn't last long - and took is as a GM lifer, loyal to the end and the mission he was given - simply to get the company to a point where someone new, the next "real" leader could get more of a clean slate and not inheret all of the problems? It makes sense. Fritz is not stupid and Whitacre isn't either.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lutz taking over. I guess we'll see in the next few days though - but I'd hate to see Lutz get dragged down and slowed down with even more red tape.

It’s clear that Whitacre and the GM Board have had their fill of reading about Alan Mulally and his success with turning around Ford
Even as a die-hard GM guy, I never get tired of hearing about it. I'm glad for any American car company these days that does well.

The article also does rightly state the GM mid-level needs to go. We'll see how that progresses after Christmas...
Old 12-02-2009, 03:07 PM

I could live with Lutz, as long as the board is allowed to duct tape his mouth.

One thing the CEO of one of the largest corporations in the world doesn't need, is saying stupid things that the media will catch. It would be a circus, and could undermine a recovery.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
I'm wondering where they will dig up this "true believer," within their compensation restraints??
I'll do it, and I'm not all that expensive.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM

About Lutz.......we shall see!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM

Here are my thoughts...

Mulally is a good leader..but is also kinda lucky in a way that Ford was in such crappy condition (weakest of big 3 at time) that he had to take action and get their big loan when they did. Had they not been in that condition and waited even a few months they would not have gotten it. Without that loan..he is a failure and Ford is bankrupt. Doesn't matter how much good he had done, Ford simply would not have had the money to ride it out. Believe it or not, a lot of good was going on at GM, and they sunk because they ran out of cash, and could not right size to having 50% of their business dissapear over night.

As for who should replace him...I say give it to Lutz. I have been calling him Teflon Bob because no matter how much crap goes on around him nothing sticks. No matter how far the ship sinks..he stays dry. So at least here we will find out for sure if he is the fix who has not gotten his way, or the issue. In theory, he should be just enough of a change to shake things up, but just enough of a known quanity to not be disruptive. Also..I don't think he has ever been CEO of one of the big 3, so this could really be the missing jewel in his crown. If he takes it, it will be on a limited 1-2 years term..so in the meantime with his input hire someone from outside who will succeed him under his tudorship.

Sounds simple to me

Last edited by formula79; 12-02-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
Here are my thoughts...

Mulally is a good leader..but is also kinda lucky in a way that Ford was in such crappy condition (weakest of big 3 at time) that he had to take action and get their big loan when they did. Had they not been in that condition and waited even a few months they would not have gotten it. Without that loan..he is a failure and Ford is bankrupt. Doesn't matter how much good he had done, Ford simply would not have had the money to ride it out. Believe it or not, a lot of good was going on at GM, and they sunk because they ran out of cash, and could not right size to having 50% of their business dissapear over night.
Good point. Mullaly does get a lot of credit and while much of it is deserved because what he did was the right move at the time. But really luck and timing played a major role. Nobody saw the gas price spike then credit crunch and subsequent recession in time to make changes. Ford had already mortgaged all of their assets for a loan before the economy tanked. Had they not they would have been in the same position as GM and Chrysler.

As for who should replace him...I say give it to Lutz. I have been calling him Teflon Bob because no matter how much crap goes on around him nothing sticks. No matter how far the ship sinks..he stays dry. So at least here we will find out for sure if he is the fix who has not gotten his way, or the issue. In theory, he should be just enough of a change to shake things up, but just enough of a known quanity to not be disruptive. Also..I don't think he has ever been CEO of one of the big 3, so this could really be the missing jewel in his crown. If he takes it, it will be on a limited 1-2 years term..so in the meantime with his input hire someone from outside who will succeed him under his tudorship.

Sounds simple to me

I like Maximum Bob and have been a fan of his since the Chrysler days but there is a reason why he has never been a CEO. He's a great car guy, idea man and promoter of product. He's great for dealing with the media and going on David Letterman but he's just not polished enough for the CEO. CEO's need to let their management and guidance do the talking for them.

There are many ideas of what the new CEO of GM must be. But one thing he or she can't be is short term. The new CEO needs to come in and start running the show with a long term plan for GM and be able to stick around long enough to guide the changes. GM needs stability at the top not a temporary fix.

I've got no problem with Lutz asuming command of GM's daily operations until Henderson's replacement is found but I don't think giving him the CEO title is the right move.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 PM

Sounds simple to me
Good points.

I always thought Mark Reuss was being groomed for the GM mantle. Maybe he could learn a different side to the industry if he works under Lutz.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM

I think they need someone who can clean up the mess short term, and make the job more attractive down the road for the long term solution. I also prefer the idea of someone bringing in an unknown and being taught the ropes.. I am not sure any up and coming exec outside the car business would want to take a job at a majority govenment owned, just outta bankruptcy, compensation capped GM. It took what? $30 million a year to get Mulally?

I personally think Bob Lutz answering to Whitacre as chairman is the best shot GM has at getting what needs to be done taken care of without deflating what little momentum GM has.

I am guessing Fritz won't be answering my question now?

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I like Maximum Bob and have been a fan of his since the Chrysler days but there is a reason why he has never been a CEO. He's a great car guy, idea man and promoter of product. He's great for dealing with the media and going on David Letterman but he's just not polished enough for the CEO. CEO's need to let their management and guidance do the talking for them.

There are many ideas of what the new CEO of GM must be. But one thing he or she can't be is short term. The new CEO needs to come in and start running the show with a long term plan for GM and be able to stick around long enough to guide the changes. GM needs stability at the top not a temporary fix.

I've got no problem with Lutz asuming command of GM's daily operations until Henderson's replacement is found but I don't think giving him the CEO title is the right move.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

I think the reason that nothing sticks to Lutz is that he's never been CEO.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I think the reason that nothing sticks to Lutz is that he's never been CEO.
Pretty good point.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM

I'll do it if no one else wants it.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 AM

Here's a list of the usual suspects.......

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (AP)

Here are some top candidates for the next CEO of General Motors Co., according to auto industry experts and insiders.

_ Carlos Ghosn, chief executive of Nissan Motor Co.

_ Roger Penske, CEO of auto dealership chain Penske Automotive Group Inc.

_ John Krafcik, CEO of Hyundai Motor America

_ Joe Hinrichs, Ford Motor CO. group vice president and president of Asia Pacific and Africa

_ Derrick Kuzak, Ford group vice president of global product development

_ Jim Farley, Ford group vice president of global marketing and Canada, Mexico and South America

_ Mark Fields, Ford executive vice president and president of the Americas.

_ Mike Jackson, CEO of dealership chain AutoNation Inc.

_ Robert W. Lane, chairman of Deer & Co.

_ Jim Owens, CEO of Caterpillar Inc.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Here's a list of the usual suspects.......

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (AP)

Here are some top candidates for the next CEO of General Motors Co., according to auto industry experts and insiders.

_ Carlos Ghosn, chief executive of Nissan Motor Co.

_ Roger Penske, CEO of auto dealership chain Penske Automotive Group Inc.

_ John Krafcik, CEO of Hyundai Motor America

_ Joe Hinrichs, Ford Motor CO. group vice president and president of Asia Pacific and Africa

_ Derrick Kuzak, Ford group vice president of global product development

_ Jim Farley, Ford group vice president of global marketing and Canada, Mexico and South America

_ Mark Fields, Ford executive vice president and president of the Americas.

_ Mike Jackson, CEO of dealership chain AutoNation Inc.

_ Robert W. Lane, chairman of Deer & Co.

_ Jim Owens, CEO of Caterpillar Inc.
None of those names excites me.

I'd rather have Lutz or H. Ross Perot.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
None of those names excites me.

I'd rather have Lutz or H. Ross Perot.
Penske would be interesting.

I'd doubt he'd want to take a pay cut and have to answer to a bunch of people though.

Quick Reply: Good stuff: AE on Fritz, Big Ed and GM's culture.