Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM's new ad campaign: "The Road to Redemption"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 04:16 PM

Thumbs down GM's new ad campaign: "The Road to Redemption"

GM's launching a new series of ads basically admitting their screwups of the past and urging people to take another look. The first one is titled "The Road to Redemption" (Forbes link). Just like Ford's "If you haven't looked at Ford lately, look again", this is a mistake.

The aim is to draw in buyers who would otherwise not give GM a chance. The thinking is that by being upfront about the past, people will appreciate GM's honesty and believe them when they say they've improved. I don't buy it. If a person believes that GM sucks, an advertisement surely isn't going to sway them no matter how honest they try to portray themselves as. But for the people who actually thought GM has been doing a good job in the past, this is going to cause them to re-assess their beliefs and wonder what they missed. And for those loyal folks who kept buying GM cars for years, it's like they're being told "you bought a piece a crap."

This won't help rebuild a tarnished image. The only way to do that is keep making cars that are better than the competition and people will discover it on their own. I think these ads are going to be an embarassment.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:33 PM

The first step to recovery, is admitting you have a problem...
Old 05-28-2003, 04:39 PM

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. Hopefully it will show people GM is serious about changing its ways.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:39 PM

They must have got the same ad company as Hardies.

Instead of the road to redemption they should just show the CTSv, C5, H2, and G6. "You know you want one."
Old 05-28-2003, 04:43 PM

My first thought is: "Boy, that's very un-GM like" But I guess that's the point.

I don't see people re-assesing their previous purchases. That would be like me saying "Aw shoot, I was pretty stupid to buy this Camaro." Just ain't gonna happen.

I'm curious to see the actual ads though....and I can see how someone in the market for a car that wouldn't necessarily look at a GM might just take a trip by a dealer and look.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:59 PM

That is the biggest bunch of crap i have ever heard. Maybe they should give all GM buyers of the past a refund of some sort for buying what THEY are calling or it sounds like they are calling crap, not world class cars. Man, GM is really pushing all my buttons. I really don't want to hate GM but it's as if they are begging for it.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:11 PM

I have no problem at all with this nor does it make me think twice about a previous purchase. I love my Camaro and the past few as well and would not have bought anything else(pricewise). I don't see how someone can get upset over this, it's just another step foward. That's how I see it.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by 96Z28man
That is the biggest bunch of crap i have ever heard. Maybe they should give all GM buyers of the past a refund of some sort for buying what THEY are calling or it sounds like they are calling crap, not world class cars. Man, GM is really pushing all my buttons. I really don't want to hate GM but it's as if they are begging for it.
I don't see anywhere that GM is saying their old products are crap. I see where they are admitting that there have been some problems, and they want people to know that they've been resolved.

I don't think this campaign will hurt present GM owners feelings about their car. If they haven't had a problem, these ads won't really effect them.

Don't believe me? Find any thread where someone brings up a quality defect in any car, be it Camaro, Mustang, etc. You'll find dozens of people that have had the car and had the problem chiming in and saying how bad it is, and then you'll have the few who haven't had the problem chiming in and saying that they haven't had any problems and they'll stick up for the car.

So basically if someone is happy with their GM car already, this should not change that. If someone has a GM car and has had some problems, I think this will help them keep GM in mind next time they go car shopping. And for those who refuse to look at GM vehicles period, I don't think this will really change their minds, but if perchance they're at the dealer and they see one of the new GM models, they might give it a glance where they might not have before.

Bottom line: Only time will tell how this pans out, so all we can do is sit back and watch.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:34 PM

Do i know my 99 S-10 is crap? Sure bet it do! Would that make me buy a Ranger. HECK NO!

I would buy GM crap all day long. No way a Ford, Dodge, or heaven forbit a Euro/Asian car get in my garage.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
The first step to recovery, is admitting you have a problem...
Undoubtedly. But not in public.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:39 PM

Thumbs up

I think they need to do this. Here's the commercial:

Opens with the Impala through the ages... The 409 SS of the 60s... A 67 Impala SS burning tires.... A 96 Impy SS driving by. Then it cuts to the current Whimpala and *screeeeech* (sound of record scratching)*

Then it fades to black and you hear "We're sorry. We done screwed it up big time. Please, give us another chance"

lol... The next commercial in the series can be about the F-Body.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by kick Z tail out
[B]I think they need to do this. Here's the commercial:

Opens with the Impala through the ages... The 409 SS of the 60s... A 67 Impala SS burning tires.... A 96 Impy SS driving by. Then it cuts to the current Whimpala and *screeeeech* (sound of record scratching)*

Then it fades to black and you hear "We're sorry. We done screwed it up big time. Please, give us another chance"

Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 PM

Kick Z, that was pretty damn good, lmao. I've owned 4 Camaros in my lifetime, and when it comes to their quality, I guess I can rate them at a 7, maybe 8, with my newest 02 being the best so far. I don't like the whole piston slap thing, whatever is said I think it has to do with quality somewhere. ALot of my friends who have Camaros all seems to take them in for some stupid reason or another all the time for little things that shouldn't go bad so fast. Could this be avoided with using better quality parts? who knows, we never even had to think that til GM said what they just said, now its going to have everyone feeling a bit insecure. Ya I love GM and Camaro 4-ever and I would never have it any other way. Oh by the way, CNN is always on at work and they rated the worst quality cars of 02, funny how H2 was #1???????
Old 05-29-2003, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by IMPALA64
So at the end of the commercial to make up for the screw up do they offer us the LS1 powered Caprice that is available overseas? That would sure make me feel better.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:34 AM

Hmmm... Not sure how I feel about this campaign...

To be totally honest, I don't think GM's products have been so bad that they need to 'apologize' for them.... if that is the intent.

I've owned nothing but GM cars in my life, and while there have been a few problems, they have treated me very well.

Quick Reply: GM's new ad campaign: "The Road to Redemption"