CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   GM's changes in reaction to it's announced quarterly losses (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/gms-changes-reaction-its-announced-quarterly-losses-647564/)

guionM 11-07-2008 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28 (Post 5673594)
wow... it is really getting that ugly??

You have no idea.

Eric Bryant 11-07-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28 (Post 5673592)
But doesn't that plant qualify for part of $25B bailout already in place to develop more fuel efficent vehicles?

Due to its financial state, GM supposedly does not qualify for any of the $25B in federal loans :(

jg95z28 11-07-2008 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant (Post 5673617)
Due to its financial state, GM supposedly does not qualify for any of the $25B in federal loans :(

Well that sucks.

I guess the only way to save GM now is for a complete bailout by the feds. Nothing that big is likely to happen between now and January, which may be too late.
:p

Robert_Nashville 11-07-2008 12:01 PM

GM has just announced that talks regarding merging with Chrysler are now officially off/over. Seems to me that GM’s only hope at this point is to either go Chapter 11 or go hat in hand to the Federal government to bail it out.

What’s even more unfortunate about such a bail out, than the bail out itself, would be that all it would serve to do would prop-up a failing business without requiring the changes necessary so that it can actually sustain itself.

You don’t give a drunk a drink…you send him to AA.

shock6906 11-07-2008 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville (Post 5673627)
What’s even more unfortunate about such a bail out that the bail out itself would be that all it would serve to do would be to prop-up a failing business without requiring the changes necessary so that it can actually sustain itself.

Can I get a translation?

Robert_Nashville 11-07-2008 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906 (Post 5673653)
Can I get a translation?

All a bailout will do is prop up the same management and decision making processes (and their union "partner") that have put the Detroit nameplates in the position they are now in.

muckz 11-07-2008 12:26 PM

Still wondering if we're heading for a recession?

I don't remember the last time GM was in such a critical state during a recession.

Now, my question is, how did automakers (and GM specifically) fare during the great depression?

shock6906 11-07-2008 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville (Post 5673656)
All a bailout will do is prop up the same management and decision making processes (and their union "partner") that have put the Detroit nameplates in the position they are now in.

Ah, that reads much more easily. :)

indieaz 11-07-2008 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by reuters
* Says key vehicle programs remain on track: The Chevrolet Cruze small car will be launched in 2010 as planned, while spending levels for the Chevrolet Volt plug-in car and other fuel-efficient initiatives have been increased.

http://www.reuters.com/article/asiaD...4A66CS20081107

Flip94ta 11-07-2008 01:59 PM

I am wondering why everyone is calling it a bailout, is it not a low interest LOAN from the government??? At like 5%?? Something the government may actually make money on if the terms are written properly.

When I went to college I didn't get a student bailout, I got a student loan.

Eric can you further explain your comment about GM not qualifying for the 25B loan? It seems like a perfect answer to retooling Lordstown and Hammatrack. (SP?)

anasazi 11-07-2008 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Flip94ta (Post 5673824)
I am wondering why everyone is calling it a bailout, is it not a low interest LOAN from the government??? At like 5%?? Something the government may actually make money on if the terms are written properly.

Eric can you further explain your comment about GM not qualifying for the 25B loan? It seems like a perfect answer to retooling Lordstown and Hammatrack. (SP?)

why even bother if the corporate structure doesn't change

Robert_Nashville 11-07-2008 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flip94ta (Post 5673824)

GM, Ford and Chrysler have already been borrowing/leveraging everything to try and find their way out of the mess they are in and it hasn't helped (hence my comment about giving a drunk a drink).

So now they've reached a point where no normal lender would give them a loan (because they don't qualify)...when it becomes necessary for the Federal government to step in and "loan" money to them; it's a bailout; even if it's couched in other terms (because they don't meet any of the normal qualifications for receiving a loan).

Everyone likes to point to Chrysler back in the '80s when they received a "loan" as an example of success but here they are again with their hand out...doesn't sound very successful to me.

As my friend Albert liked to say "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

jg95z28 11-07-2008 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by anasazi (Post 5673848)
why even bother if the corporate structure doesn't change

Maybe that's a condition of the loan? Lee Iacocca was brought in to run Chrysler when they got a loan guarrantees from the Feds in 1979. I believe it was part of the deal.

(It was a week before my 14th birthday so I don't exactly recall all the details.) :D

The Chrysler Corporation on September 7, 1979 petitioned the United States government for US$1.5 billion in loan guarantees to avoid bankruptcy. At the same time former Ford executive Lee Iacocca was brought in as CEO. He proved to be a capable public spokesman, appearing in advertisements to advise customers that "If you find a better car, buy it." He would also provide a rallying point for Japan-bashing and instilling pride in American products. His book Talking Straight was a response to Akio Morita's Made in Japan.

The United States Congress reluctantly passed the "Chrysler Corporation Loan Guarantee Act of 1979" (Public Law 96-185) on December 20, 1979 (signed into law by President Jimmy Carter on January 7, 1980), prodded by Chrysler workers and dealers in every congressional district who feared the loss of their livelihoods. The military then bought thousands of Dodge pickup trucks which entered military service as the Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle M-880 Series. With such help and a few innovative cars (such as the K-car platform), especially the invention of the minivan concept, Chrysler avoided bankruptcy and slowly recovered.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler

guionM 11-07-2008 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28 (Post 5673931)
Maybe that's a condition of the loan? Lee Iacocca was brought in to run Chrysler when they got a loan guarrantees from the Feds in 1979. I believe it was part of the deal.

(It was a week before my 14th birthday so I don't exactly recall all the details.) :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler

Actually, the chicken came before the egg.

Iacocca pushed the loan guarantee when he first got to Chrysler.

It finished the funding of the K-car.

Due to good management and the success of the K-car and it's spinoffs including the minivan, Iacocca paid the loan back way ahead of schedule.

jg95z28 11-07-2008 03:25 PM

Ok, what's Lee Iacocca up to these days? He's in his mid 80's, but maybe he could turn things around. ;)