Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM Struggling to keep Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer owners from defecting-

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Re: GM Struggling to keep Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer owners from defecting-

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Someone else posted an article that stated GM was doing a good job at keeping their old customers?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=801867

If you look at my post #11 from that thread and the links provided, it's appears Pontiac and Saturn both had absolutely **** poor customer retention anyway, even before people knew the brands would die.
Yet another reason that it was a horrible article. Without knowing what comparable retention rates are, the numbers don't mean anything either.

-Geoff
Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
My wife and I were walking through the local Chevy lot, after hours, on a Saturday night (I parked the demo down the street and go when its dark...can't have the local Chrysler GSM getting caught on a GM lot, can we??? ).

Bottom line is this...Chevy is boring. Great cars, but boring as ****. The Cruze cannot make more than 148hp, does not have a coupe, etc. The Malibu has no sports model. Impala? We don't need to go there. She doesn't want a Camaro, neither do I.

So, here we are...2 dyed-in-the-wool Pontiac owners, and Chevy offers us NOTHING appealing. She loves her '04 GTP, as do I. The car has 46,000 miles on it...we don't need a car. But, she's had it almost 4 1/2 years, and she wants a new car. After years of Pontiac ownership, I can honestly say, as a die-hard GM fan, there isn't a single car they make I'd pony up the money for.
How do you two feel about the 2012 Regal GS?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Z28x

I think it's a great looking car, but not sporty in the sense that would interest the enthusiast buyer that was previously looking at Trans Am, GTO, and G8.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM

I MIGHT be interested in a new Buick, when I am 40 years older than I am now.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Well..i think a lot of people here don't get it..which is to be expect that. Pontiac was for buyers who wanted more expressive cars. That was how a GM exec explained it to me. I am gonna bet most fo the people saying just buy a Chevy..and an LTZ trim is sporty enough to replace Pontiac were never Pontiac buyers anyway. If you look at Pontiac circa 2001..all the cars were basically rebadged Chevy's..but much more expressive and aggresively styled. They sold very well. If you look at the lineup Pontiac had when it was cancelled..the cars simply were not "expressive". Pontiac's were supposed to look like they belonged on the racetrack. Even the old Sunfire looked like a mini Firebird. The G3, G5, Vibe, G6, and even G8 to an extent were middle of the road styling wise. When you have a brand whose main selling point is styling...if you screwup the styling..you are screwed. For Pontiac to work..the styling has to be right..and when they bowed to the mags complaining about "Boy racer" styling..they were done for. I know we hate the whole term "brand management"..but Pontiac's death is a perfect case study of failed brand management.

In 1999 did a Grand Am buyer also look at a Malibu? I think not. However in 2009, I could see a G6 owner also considering a Malibu.

Buick..however is not a replacement for Pontiac..and I don't think it is being marketed that way. Right now I think GM is trying to push Buick in that import..slightly nicer than Chevy role that both Saturn and Olds were pushed towards. We see how well it worked for those brands.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
Pontiac was for buyers who wanted more expressive cars.
I get that. And I wouldn't blow sunshine up you-know-where with you and Jason and others who miss Pontiac dearly either. Right now, Chevy has attractive vehicles but they are far from wild or Pontiac-esque. Yes, some would say boring. But Chevy can still offer expressive styling and it wouldn't be all that out of place in its showrooms.

Pontiac sold lots of Grand Ams with the cladding and pre-2004 Grand Prixs, but I always got the sense that they still weren't a big enough contributor to the bottom line. Especially when there's a cost to be paid for tooling up and doing different interior and exterior styling.

Again, I want to see someone present a business case for Pontiac that really makes sense other than "take a Malibu, style it like a Pontiac, ???, profit!"
Old 05-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Again, I want to see someone present a business case for Pontiac that really makes sense other than "take a Malibu, style it like a Pontiac, ???, profit!"
That business case worked for a long time...and several other brands are built on similar ideas.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM

I am a huge Pontiac fan and agree that GM has been producing better cars but I would never consider an Impala LTZ as an option. I have actually paid extra not to have one of those as a rental (granted- some may say the same about a GP).

I think the charger nailed it and proved there is a market for rwd. You can get an entry level cloth int 6 cyl, an RT with a hemi, a bright daytona, or a serious SRT. Prices go from entry level 23k (guessing here) to what- 50k?

Getting back on point- i think we can all agree pontiac was a damaged brand. Pontiac at one time had aggressive styling that was too much for some which is the same reason others loved it. GM currently doesn't have anything to fill that void. Dodge has done a very nice job stepping into place from the 200 on up.

Just my opinion but I am the target customer they lost
Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
I only have one thing to say and its to Guy.

GM focused on trucks?!? Hello bankruptcy.

GM has cheap labor on small-cars AND trucks.

GM has NO sport sedan for the mass'

They have no "sport coupe" for the mass'

It doesnt take long to figure out........New GM = Bankruptcy
Actually, that's saying a lot more than "one thing" to me, but just the same I don't see what point you're trying to make.

Trucks are what kept GM afloat until the market for them crashed.

The labor GM is paying on small cars and trucks is the same as what is being paid by everyone else save possibly Ford.

Sports sedans don't pay bills, volume sedans for the (to steal your term) "masses" is what brings in money regarding cars.

I suspect Camaro buyers might have something to say on your stating GM has a lack of a sports coupe for the masses.

As for you saying the new GM=bankruptcy, I'm here to help, so let me break things down for you:

1. Bankruptcy=no money to run a business or pay creditors.

2. GM is now not only making no profits, but is making some of the biggest profits they have made in a very long time.

3. If GM is making a lot of profits, they are in no danger whatsoever of bankruptcy as long as this continues.

Originally Posted by Josh452
P.S. By the way Guy...........women make the car buying decisions these days........yet Pontiac is gone.

Lutz even told me back in 2005 the Pontiac G6 needed a new interior.
Perhaps women make the carbuying decisions in your house.

BTW, listen, you can't have it both ways. You can't go on a rail saying GM makes no sports sedans & sports coupes (both false by the way), after flipping over saying that women make all the car buying decisions. Women largely buy crossovers, and practical sedans (ie: G6s, Impalas, Accords, etc...) while men largely buy sports coupes and sports sedans. By following your train of thought there, you are advocating the very vehicles that would actually bankrupt GM after saying the lack of those vehicles would.

Again..if you read my posts, I talk of Pontiac around 2001..the last time it was truely healthy. All the car's Guy cites are cars that I meantioned as ruining the brand. 2005+ Bonneville, 2004+ Grand Prix. Basically..GM raided the money Pontiac was making and used it to build more trucks, and keep the ship afloat. Then when Pontiac needed new product, it either was half assed without enough investment, or a low volume car.

As for Pontiac being a "woman's brand"...I am tired of hearing that because there is nothing wrong with it. Women care more about style..so yes, they will pay more for a aggressivle looking Grand Am or Sunfire than a Malibu or Cavalier. I mean for a yound women, a last gen Grand Am or Sunfire was an acceptable alterantive to a V6 Mustang or whatever else those types buy. I better Mazda and Nissan have high female ratios too. If you look at Pontiacs final volume products..they were catered to women...the G5, G6, and Vibe. I am certain cars like the G8 and GTO had higher male buyer ratios..but much smaller volume.

In the end however..on thing to consider. GM's initial plan they gave the government included making Pontiac a "niche" brand. They were doing this because they knew there was an opportuntity with the brand to capture sales the other four could not once they got outside of bankruptcy and had money to properly invest in it. They wanted the brand around in some form to grow it later. The government however made them cancel the brand because it was not profitable at the time.

I will say one thing..a Buick/GMC dealer is a pretty boring place right now.
1. Women are practical buyers. Far more so than men. Studies prove it. Women rank style following function. Look around you. How many women do you see driving rather bland but practical cars. Women also tend to be safety conscious. They shop by "5-star" ratings, "Consumer Reports", and tend to research vehicles far more than men.

2. Men are the creatures who are "style conscious". We want to impress. Not just women, but other men. Family members. Neighbors. People at work.

3. Just about half of all Mazda buyers are women. Pontiac was well into the 70 percent range. Just under 80 if I remember correctly (I can look it up later if you wish). To put that into perspective, more women bought Pontiacs than men bought Camaros.

4. Even so, the point about women buyers is moot when Pontiac was only selling about 30% of it's entire production to the retail market anyway. About 70% was going to fleets and rental agencies at not much more than break even price. Sure the GTO & G8 (and add in the GXP model of the Grand Prix) went mostly to men. But considering the numbers those vehicles sold at and the volume Pontiac was giving away to non retail customers, those cars weren't even a drop in an ocean in sales.

5. Finally, the question of turning Pontiac into a "Niche" brand.

Think about that for a moment.

That niche brand would have included the G8GT &/or GXP, the Solstice, and maybe, just maybe the G6 convertible hardtop, and it would have been sold in Buick showrooms at low production numbers.

Now, consider everything that's wrong with that idea.

a. The Solstice was a few years away from being killed off. There was an idea to save it by moving it to Bowling Green and restyling it. But guess what would have happened to the price. However, that point is moot anyway. Look at how much engineering GM shed in restructuring. They're taxed to the hilt squeezing a new Corvette out with their huge new vehicle schedule. A low-to-no profit Solstice wouldn't have had a chance at renewal.

b. The G6 was already in old age, and would have had to be restyled by now (Malibu has been restyled twice since the G6 came out). Would GM spend scarce taxpayer money on a single model of a car like that?

c. However, the G8 could have survived on and carried the Pontiac name. And that's where the whole idea of a niche brand becomes incredibly pathetic.

You would have a Pontiac name on a single car that was imported from another country just to keep the name alive. A division that had decades of history, many historic nameplates, a brand that was General Motors 2nd largest brand, and for a time the 3rd largest car brand in the United States, reduced to nothing more than a badge on a car that's sold (outside of Australia and New Zealand) everywhere else on the planet Earth as a Chevrolet.

The niche brand idea was a horrible idea.

GM mismanagement ran Pontiac into the ground to the point where it couldn't be saved.

Let it rest in peace.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM

In 1999 did a Grand Am buyer also look at a Malibu? I think not. However in 2009, I could see a G6 owner also considering a Malibu.
GM definitely needs a car to replace Grand Am coupe and Cobalt coupe.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 PM

I am not sure if Guy's Pontiac female numbers are correct..here are some of the data I found.

Pontiac is not on this list..but it is newer...
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-96134979.html

Here is one from 2006ish. Pontiac is quoted as being ahead, but the number is 53%...not 70 or 80%. And considering the G6 was the brands volume car at this time..it is possible.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Male-vs.-F...nces&id=321843

As far as particular brands are concerned, the idea that you can sell a woman's car to a man, but you can't sell a man's car to a woman also holds true .The brand that has had the highest percentage of female registrants so far this year, General Motors' Pontiac subsidiary, still sells cars to a buying populace that is 47% male. Meanwhile, DaimlerChrysler's Dodge subsidiary, which has the highest percentage of male registrants -- and only 14.8% of people who have registered a Dodge this year have been women.
I would just like to see better numbers because I know Pontiac was not selling Mini's or New Beatles.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x

That poor car never stood a chance. It's styled perfectly, but its slower than they promised and they ditched the all-wheel drive...
Old 05-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I see Mazda as the business case. They have polarizing style that some love and some hate but, they are not boring. They have bold styling, handle better then the average car in whatever class and have powerfule motor. (Nissan could probably fit this as well)

These were all things that Pontiac did at one time and should have continued doing. Using available chasis and engines is okay as it drops cost of design. It's not like GM doesn't have a nice plethora of engine choices around the globe.

All this discussion is mute at this point. Ponitac is not coming back. So, if you liked your Grand AM or Grand Prix, maybe it's time to defect to a Nissan Altima/Maxima or a Mazda 3/6. Those will give you what you want in every category save American nameplate.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 AM

I was never fond of Pontiac styling, in fact I hated it. Even the 80s/90s models. I'm glad that drain isn't on GM anymore. I did like the G8, but it should have been a Chevy. And yes I have a 2005 Grand Prix (company car). It's ugly, interior is horribly designed and falling apart, the drivetrain is solid after 150k and hasn't left me stranded I guess if there's anything good to say about it.

Will be replaced with a 12' Malibu, 200, or Sonata.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by soul strife
I see Mazda as the business case. They have polarizing style that some love and some hate but, they are not boring. They have bold styling, handle better then the average car in whatever class and have powerfule motor. (Nissan could probably fit this as well)
True, then again, Mazda and Nissan don't have the 800 lb gorilla in the same company known as Chevrolet. Those other two brands can be aggressively styled and sold as the company's flagship brands without any competing alternatives in the same portfolio (Ford has sold off almost all of its stake in Mazda).

That is why I say, Pontiac doesn't bring anything to GM's table that Chevrolet theoretically couldn't. And that's a problem.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 05-10-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: GM Struggling to keep Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer owners from defecting-