Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM shows Cadillac 3 series-fighting ATS, all-new XTS, 2012 Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 AM

GM shows Cadillac 3 series-fighting ATS, all-new XTS, 2012 Malibu

Sorry guys, its TOMORROW...I definately cant wait! Talk of the sportwagon V are back....

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/10/f...-fighting-ats/

Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM EST, General Motor's President and CEO, Fritz Henderson, will be hosting a webcast to update the public and the media on the automaker's turnaround efforts, during which Henderson is expected to make a new product announcement.

But ahead of tomorrow's shindig, GM is apparently hosting another event involving some of its PR team and a few social media junkies. Tied to their smartphones, some of the attendees have revealed GM's new product plans and here are the tender Twitter morsels:

GM unveiled a new Cadillac concept dubbed the ATS, a compact BMW 3 Series fighter that will be available in both coupe and sedan forms.
The Cadillac DTS' replacement – currently named the XTS – will be built atop the Buick LaCrosse's underpinnings and will be available with all-wheel drive.
The CTS Coupe is due to arrive this May, and there's still talk of a V version (duh). Apparently GM has a working CTS-V SportWagon on premises and it could arrive as early as next year.
New Chevrolet Malibu unveiled, but it supposed won't reach production until 2012.
All-new midsize Buick model coming within the next 24 months.
We'll keep our eye out as more information becomes available, and if you didn't need a reminder, all of this should be taken with the appropriate amount of NaCl until we get official word from GM. Details about GM's webcast available below the fold.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM

I think it would be a great idea for the to have a "Part 2" of the 20/20 episode from last month on ABC showing off these new cars...
Old 08-10-2009, 11:35 AM

GM unveiled a new Cadillac concept dubbed the ATS, a compact BMW 3 Series fighter that will be available in both coupe and sedan forms.

Alpha Touring Sedan?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM

New Chevrolet Malibu unveiled, but it supposed won't reach production until 2012.
A new Malibu, but no news on a new Impala. Looks like the outdated W-body will just keep on being produced year after year.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
A new Malibu, but no news on a new Impala. Looks like the outdated W-body will just keep on being produced year after year.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Someone mentioned on here the new Malibu could be a little larger & fill BOTH spots....Then the next Impala being low volume RWD down the road.

This would make sense with what they are doing (no talk of replacement) & already talk of a new Malibu which is only a few yrs old...I'd say GM is aiming for a class leading car here which would be very important & beneficial to them.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Old 08-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
These products are pretty much essential to GMs survival and the ATS, if it's Alpha is likely essential to the future of the Camaro beyond the current generation. So I hope it's just the current Impala that makes you yawn. The other developments are pretty important...
Old 08-10-2009, 01:51 PM

I think the ATS is going to be the most important car out of the bunch - but sadly the concept shown will not be on alpha proper. The chassis is still several years out and will probably change a lil bit from a styling point of view.

We're expecting the C7 in the 2012/2013 timeframe along with alpha. This means the F5 Camaro would run roughly a 4 to 5 year run, which is acceptable.

The C7 will also finally showcase the GenV V8. If both Alpha and C7 came out the same year, will we see the "old GM" habit of giving the C7 a new engine before everyone else, or will we see Alpha & C7 ride in with GenV's together?

Food for thought.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
I think the ATS is going to be the most important car out of the bunch - but sadly the concept shown will not be on alpha proper. The chassis is still several years out and will probably change a lil bit from a styling point of view.

We're expecting the C7 in the 2012/2013 timeframe along with alpha. This means the F5 Camaro would run roughly a 4 to 5 year run, which is acceptable.

The C7 will also finally showcase the GenV V8. If both Alpha and C7 came out the same year, will we see the "old GM" habit of giving the C7 a new engine before everyone else, or will we see Alpha & C7 ride in with GenV's together?

Food for thought.
The article in the other thread I posted says "Next Corvette due no earlier than 2013"
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=704397

Looks like we will probably be getting lots of special editions out of the C6
Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
The article in the other thread I posted says "Next Corvette due no earlier than 2013"
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=704397

Looks like we will probably be getting lots of special editions out of the C6
I'd guess that some of that speculation from Motor Trend is no more accurate than info provided by a lot of the more connected members here.

Looks like that report is already inaccurate about the Cadillac "Flagship" since it appears that the DTS/STS replacement will be FWD/AWD based on Epsilon II.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I'd guess that some of that speculation from Motor Trend is no more accurate than info provided by a lot of the more connected members here.

Looks like that report is already inaccurate about the Cadillac "Flagship" since it appears that the DTS/STS replacement will be FWD/AWD based on Epsilon II.
I noticed that too.....
Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eric77TA

Alpha Touring Sedan?
CTS = Catera Touring Sedan
STS = Seville Touring Sedan
DTS = Deville Touring Sedan

ATS = Allante Touring Sedan?

I just wish they'd actually acknowledge that the letters mean something, and then call the wagon the CTW and the coupe the CTC.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
CTS = Catera Touring Sedan
STS = Seville Touring Sedan
DTS = Deville Touring Sedan

ATS = Allante Touring Sedan?

I just wish they'd actually acknowledge that the letters mean something, and then call the wagon the CTW and the coupe the CTC.
I alway thought that was the plan....I mentioned it a while back and something thought I was an idiot

I dont like CTW though

But if I owned a CTS I dont think I'd like the idea of there being station wagon called a CTS as well....in this case I'd prefer CTW
Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 PM

So they are already throwing in the towel on the current Malibu? Seems like for 15 years now the "next Malibu" has been the one that is gonna get it right.

I wonder if the Buick will be the Regal, or something more....Austrailian flavored..

Quick Reply: GM shows Cadillac 3 series-fighting ATS, all-new XTS, 2012 Malibu