Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM showcases 'dual hybrid' technology

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned

GM showcases 'dual hybrid' technology

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060824/...e/gm_hybrids_1

MILFORD, Mich. - Two electric motors, a V-8 engine that can work on only four cylinders, a really smart computer, and a four-speed transmission that joins them into one package. GM calls it "dual hybrid" technology and says that soon it will make pickup trucks or big sport utility vehicles as fuel efficient as some cars.

The technology, showcased with General Motors Corp.'s future engines and powertrains Thursday at the company's proving grounds northwest of Detroit, will start showing up in the 2008 model year with the GMC Tahoe SUV. It will be available on the GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade SUVs and the Chevrolet Silverado pickup — GM's top-selling vehicle — later that year.

GM says the hybrids, similar to those now in use in the transit buses of 39 cities, are so versatile that they will boost fuel economy by 25 percent over the current SUVs and pickups. For the two-wheel-drive Tahoe, which now gets an average of 18.3 miles per gallon in combined city-highway driving, that means nearly 23 mpg.

Figures for city and highway driving haven't been calculated yet, but Tim Grewe, GM's chief engineer for rear-wheel-drive powertrain hybrids, said there will be a significant improvement.

The new technology, Grewe said, uses a computer to chose from thousands of combinations of running on one electric motor, two electric motors, a combination of electric motors and the V-8 gasoline engine, or shutting down some of the V-8's cylinders.

i wonder how heavy this is, it'd be kinda cool to have a new camaro hybrid that gets a huge torque boost with the addition of the electric motors as well as a v8 ... although it'd probably be offset by the cost in weight. oh well, pipe dreams.

Last edited by anasazi; 08-25-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:15 PM

Re: GM showcases 'dual hybrid' technology

Originally Posted by anasazi
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060824/...e/gm_hybrids_1

i wonder how heavy this is, it'd be kinda cool to have a new camaro hybrid that gets a huge torque boost with the addition of the electric motors as well as a v8 ... although it'd probably be offset by the cost in weight. oh well, pipe dreams.
I would expect that the packaging of all this into one transmission should mean reductions in weight and increases in mechanical efficiency vs. having separate units. This is cool. I hope we will see this applied to cars. Trucks need it most but a 500 HP super-sedan that gets a 30 MPG average combined would be awesome too. Esp. when it could run some form of alt-fuel.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Marcus
Esp. when it could run some form of alt-fuel.
like E85?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:02 AM

I was thinking E85 while reading this too. It doesnt specify one way or the other. Seems like a good move to make it E85 compatible. Why pull any punches?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by L.A. Z
I was thinking E85 while reading this too. It doesnt specify one way or the other. Seems like a good move to make it E85 compatible. Why pull any punches?
It'll almost certainly be E85 compatible, if only for the absolutely massive CAFE bump.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:52 PM

They showcased a dual-mode hybrid Tahoe at the DC Auto Show last January. IIRC, they specifically mentioned E85 compatibility. As Eric noted, they get a CAFE freebie out of it (something I do NOT agree with).
Old 08-27-2006, 12:30 AM

Not E85.....count on the next Camaro to offer a true hybrid alternative. Just dont get pissed at me for saying it. GM knows what it has to offer in 2009. Something to please everyone
Old 08-27-2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
Not E85.....count on the next Camaro to offer a true hybrid alternative. Just dont get pissed at me for saying it. GM knows what it has to offer in 2009. Something to please everyone
I think that by that time, GM will have a car most people will want. Now whether or not they will let other things stop them from buying it(cost, brand identity, any media stories, unchanged opinions, etc.), is another story.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:19 PM

why not use a 6 speed transmission with some taller gear ratio's for much improved highway fuel economy. I think that would help as well.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:11 PM

If this hybrid system works the way i think it does, you don't need more gears in the transmission. This hybrid elctric motor / automatic works like a CVT. Instead of the ring gear (or whatever you call the outer gear o fthe plentary) being held stationary by clutches/bands, it's driven by the electric motors, in either directions, so it can multiply torque, or work as a big overdrive depending on which direction and how fast the gear is turned.