Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM reports profit of $7.6 billion for 2011

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM

GM reports profit of $7.6 billion for 2011

GM reports profit of $7.6 billion for 2011 | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

I like this part
GM's U.S. factory employees should get profit-sharing checks of about $7,000.
This is a brilliant idea, I'm not sure if it was done before, but I like the idea of giving the workers this kind of incentive to build better cars and increase the companies profitability. I think sharing in the companies success will make them better employees.

Last edited by Z28x; 02-16-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Re: GM reports profit of $7.6 billion for 2011

Originally Posted by Z28x
GM reports profit of $7.6 billion for 2011 | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

I like this part

This is a brilliant idea, I'm not sure if it was done before, but I like the idea of giving the workers this kind of incentive to build better cars and increase the companies profitability. I think sharing in the companies success will make them better employees.
Me too. Im a firm believer in incentive checks. It works and makes people feel truly part of the company.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Yes, profit sharing has been done before at the Big Three. Nice to see it returning (with profits returning).
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 AM

Where's my profit sharing cut? As a matter of fact, aren't we the taxpayer entitled to 32% of those profits?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by El Duce
Where's my profit sharing cut? As a matter of fact, aren't we the taxpayer entitled to 32% of those profits?
No.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Hopefully these are not short-term profits, and GM can keep the pace going. But way to go GM on a great year!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Apparently talking about the legal aspect GM's bankruptcy process isn't allowed on here.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM

Don't forget, the US auto market is still down from the mid 2000's. Hopefully as sales pick back up GM's profits will rise with them. The trick is they need to be able to handle another downturn.

Last edited by Z28x; 02-16-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Sure you do!

But your cut of the national debt was taken out and you still owe. (Hey, you asked to get in on the game since you gave GM all that money you did)

Uncle Sam is waiting on you to pay your share of the debt..
Old 02-16-2012, 03:20 PM

BTW, here is the article I got that chart from. They have a pretty good 3min. podcast to go along with it = Auto Industry Adjusts To New Normal: Low Sales : NPR
Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM

I have a noob question.

In the last year the company made a lil over 7 billion... And if I see this right the stock price went down about $10. How does that work out?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by graham
I have a noob question.

In the last year the company made a lil over 7 billion... And if I see this right the stock price went down about $10. How does that work out?
GM has a P/E (price to earnings) ratio of 6.1, that is really low. Investors probably are not sure that GM can keep up at that pace or they don't think GM is going to grow as a company. Ford has a P/E of 7.6

The current average of the 500 companies in the S&P 500 index is 15.5 P/E
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Here are some assumptions based on simple googling and reading:

There are approximately 138,000,000 taxpayers in the US.

The sum of the entire GM bailout was approx $50 Billion.

Of that $50 Billion, about $6B was a TARP loan, the other $44B was in equity shares.

The $6B TARP loan was paid back, with interest.

------

That means:

The $6B tarp loan cost you, a single taxpayer, approximately $43.00, which has already been paid back.

The $50B bailout sum represents a liability of about $362.00 per taxpayer. If you subtract the $43.00, you now have $319.00 as an individual taxpayer invested in GM's equity shares, which could sell for a profit and theoretically bring you a return on your investment.

But when you figure in the opportunity costs of NOT providing any assistance to GM at all, we could have risked:

a) losing the world's biggest car company
b) eroding confidence in our economy, affecting investments and markets worldwide
c) the actual loss of jobs as a result of GM's failure

--I think the opportunity costs, when assigned dollar values, make $50B look like a drop of water in a lake.

The measure had bipartisan support, and was initiated by the Bush party as a way to hedge impending disaster. There were political complications and a lot of gray area as I understand. Not everyone agrees it was the right thing to do. But not it exists as a fact in history that it was done.

You can have all the sour grapes you want, but this is the result of representative government and some crafty thinking.

So no, you as a taxpayer shareholder in GM won't get a direct cut of that profit share. Your money is still hedging that GM's share price will go above the breakeven point of approximately $50/share in the nearer future. The workers, however, who are actively building these cars and trucks and trying to get GM back on the road to recovery, DO deserve it.
---

This is all simple conjecture; if anyone wants to factfind or prove me wrong, please do. I am proud of GM's new stuff, though, and there are a lot of people in that company who deserve a big pat on the back and a bonus for their hard work.

Last edited by 97QuasarBlue3.8; 02-16-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Go GM!!
Best car company in the world!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
Here are some assumptions based on simple googling and reading:

There are approximately 138,000,000 taxpayers in the US.

The sum of the entire GM bailout was approx $50 Billion.

Of that $50 Billion, about $6B was a TARP loan, the other $44B was in equity shares.

The $6B TARP loan was paid back, with interest.

------

That means:

The $6B tarp loan cost you, a single taxpayer, approximately $43.00, which has already been paid back.

The $50B bailout sum represents a liability of about $362.00 per taxpayer. If you subtract the $43.00, you now have $319.00 as an individual taxpayer invested in GM's equity shares, which could sell for a profit and theoretically bring you a return on your investment.

But when you figure in the opportunity costs of NOT providing any assistance to GM at all, we could have risked:

a) losing the world's biggest car company
b) eroding confidence in our economy, affecting investments and markets worldwide
c) the actual loss of jobs as a result of GM's failure

--I think the opportunity costs, when assigned dollar values, make $50B look like a drop of water in a lake.

The measure had bipartisan support, and was initiated by the Bush party as a way to hedge impending disaster. There were political complications and a lot of gray area as I understand. Not everyone agrees it was the right thing to do. But not it exists as a fact in history that it was done.

You can have all the sour grapes you want, but this is the result of representative government and some crafty thinking.

So no, you as a taxpayer shareholder in GM won't get a direct cut of that profit share. Your money is still hedging that GM's share price will go above the breakeven point of approximately $50/share in the nearer future. The workers, however, who are actively building these cars and trucks and trying to get GM back on the road to recovery, DO deserve it.
---

This is all simple conjecture; if anyone wants to factfind or prove me wrong, please do. I am proud of GM's new stuff, though, and there are a lot of people in that company who deserve a big pat on the back and a bonus for their hard work.
That's all fine and dandy, but not what I was referencing. I had already made a post about the bankruptcy process and the fact that I held GM debt prior to the BR. The post was deleted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM reports profit of $7.6 billion for 2011