Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM reportedly to axe some future programs this month.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:00 AM

GM reportedly to axe some future programs this month.

http://www.accordingtoahha.com/

The crisis at GM continues as word from inside is the axe is about to fall as it's planning "significant" slashing of vehicle programs in addition to reductions in design, engineering and program management personnel. Anything that isn't profitable is under review in what is considered to be a serious cutback. Rumors have an announcement forthcoming at the end of March, though it's not known if this is an internal only announcement only.

Since last June's design preview, at least three high volume programs have been cancelled, the Trailblazer, Envoy and Ion. The Trailblazer and Envoy programs were scaled back, but are still in jeopardy as the segment declines and moves towards unibody derived crossovers. GM has been having a difficult time in trying to make a business case for the Lambda minivans as well as the Sub-Theta programs. Plans for a new large front drive platform were also abandoned last year.

The Pontiac brand faces the greatest hurdle as it's now the weakest brand in terms of future vehicle development followed by Buick.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Re: GM reportedly to axe some future programs this month.

no ion-wasn't it going to be the opel astra
Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
no ion-wasn't it going to be the opel astra
Well the NG Ion will now be the Opel Astra.

Back at the design preview they were shown a totally different, and beautiful car, that was going to be the Ion replacement. This was the car that was cancelled.

Last edited by Chris_Doane; 03-13-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:04 PM

I'm curious if the Ion makes sense if they're going to have a Cobalt and G5.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by CD/BP
Well the Ion is the Opel Astra now.

yup same car.......
Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 PM

yup same car.......
No, Astra is the Ions replacement come 2008ish

If they axe the GMT360's I hope they build a GMT355 SUV. It would be nice to have a real truck based SUV the size of the early 90s GMC Jimmy.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
No, Astra is the Ions replacement come 2008ish.
but according to this website the ion replacement is cancelled.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:43 PM

Based on what I have read here about how bright the future of GM looks (Chevy in particular) I don't think this news is too significant in that the programs about to be axed will not sorely be missed.

I mean really, would we miss the next generation of GM minivans? Odds are no one will even notice, as GM has never built a seriously competitive minivan in the first place. Ford figured that out when they decided to drop the Freestar.

The worrisome part is obviously Pontiac. But, with a new GTO apparently coming along with a Cobalt variant, I don't see them being completely starved of new product.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:45 PM

but according to this website the ion replacement is cancelled.
No the GMX002, former next Ion, was cancelled. The next Ion is going to be a rebadge of the Astra and the Ion name will actually disappear.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
No the GMX002, former next Ion, was cancelled. The next Ion is going to be a rebadge of the Astra and the Ion name will actually disappear.
got it now thanks!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:40 PM

yup same car.......
Oh...no I meant the that the NG Ion will now be the Astra. My fault I worded that poorly.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:04 PM

It would be sad if GM abondoned the minivan market. I would agree that the current vehicles aren't really competitive, but they sure were when they came out in the late 90's.

What is Pontiac not getting that makes it the weakest brand for future development? For that matter, what exactly are the programs that are under development at GM for all the brands?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
It would be sad if GM abondoned the minivan market. I would agree that the current vehicles aren't really competitive, but they sure were when they came out in the late 90's.

What is Pontiac not getting that makes it the weakest brand for future development? For that matter, what exactly are the programs that are under development at GM for all the brands?
Pontiacs that have been hinted at as being worked on: Next G6...that is it.

Buicks next Lacrosse on EP II, RWD sedan, possible RWD (if not then FWD/AWD) convertible, Lambda Van.

Chevy, loads here doesn't need to be worried about.

SAAB: next 9-3, 9-5, 9-4x crossover on T/E, possible 9-6x based on Lambda.

Saturn: Rebadging of a lot of Opels, Astra, Aura, Outlook.

GMC pretty much what Chevy trucks get.

Caddy, Sigma II of currnet cars, SRX, and possible RWD DTS on Zeta.

Hummer: H4 and next H2, all it needs.

By looking at Pontiac and Mercury's future portfolios you can see both are a shell of their former selves. A new RWD sedan/coupe for Pontiac will certainly perk things up. As will the G5 if it is more than a rebadged Cobalt. Next Vibe is up in the air right now and may not even happen. Solstice has a short shelf life and that was known from the start. A possibility is that Kappa gets whored out to every division with only 2 brands having ones out at a time. IE Solstice dies and Chevy gets a version, then Buick when the Saturn dies, then Caddy and then it is totally done.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Buicks next Lacrosse on EP II, RWD sedan, possible RWD (if not then FWD/AWD) convertible, Lambda Van.
Last I heard there was never a plan for Buick to get one of the forthcoming lambda vans. But plans change all the time so I can't say for sure.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:53 PM

The programs to which we're familliar are still either safe or simply delayed I hear.

The cuts are to programs that can be done equally well on either another chassis or another model, as opposed to creating a whole new structure (or variation of an existing one.

As you may notice, Saturn is for all intents and purposes dead, and will become essentially Opel-USA. Some of the crossovers and an chassis platform will be cancelled.

I'm guessing the chassis platform axed is the large FWD-AWD chassis, which will be killed in favor of the new Zeta, & a crossover line which will be replaced by the upcoming Outlook-Enclave vehicles, an improved version of the chassis used by Equinox, Vue, & Torrent, and the revised Sigma based Cadillac crossover. All are scheduled for introduction or restyling over the next few years.

Quick Reply: GM reportedly to axe some future programs this month.