Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM To Produce "FlexDoor" System

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Sliding doors would be practical too, perhaps even more practical that the suicide doors... but, I think you then get into the minivan stigma... then you have to worry about sales because of it being "uncool".

Really, minivans are about as good as it gets to family movers, but they are played out for the most part, and I think sliding doors on a car might assosciate it too much to the minivan thing. Just my opinion on that, though... who knows how the market would react?
I understand that being a concern, but how can someone see this

and think Minivan?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
I understand that being a concern, but how can someone see this

and think Minivan?

Ya, you have a pretty good point! :thumbsup:
Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Wow. Something like that might just kill the market for 2 door coupes.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
So let me see if I understand this...

Suicide doors - B pillars = flex doors?
I guess marketing freaked out when they went to them with this one.

Were going to reintroduce suicide doors to make it easier for you to put your kids in the back seat. I never saw that spin comming. Just hope those kids dont get those doors open

I think the doors are cool.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 PM

Those are the coolest sliding doors I have seen to date. How do they open with out tracks?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by soul strife
Those are the coolest sliding doors I have seen to date. How do they open with out tracks?
I have never seen a picture of it, but I would assume the interior of the door has the tracks on it.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Ya, you were dead on!

It's funny how in my search for the next car... REAR SEAT DIMENSIONS have become a primary search issue. Ouf.

Thanks! We just found out that the new one is a boy... which I think will make the next 4 1/2 months a little more difficult if you remember a few years back. Brings back a lot of stuff, but I am excited ot have a little guy on the way!

As for not being around... I had been really spending tons of time on another search of sorts, that finally came to an end last weekend... see anything new in the sig?

(OK, I think I've gone off-topic enough, I'll shut up now and go back into my lurker's cave. )
Nice to see ya around...I noticed the refreshed sig before you even said anything. I have to say, I'm impressed. Mine puts up a fight when I want a new pair of shoes

My new car search is revolving soley around a car that doesn't require me to have a spine akin to a slinky to buckle my girl in the back seat. I've heard there are support groups for this sort of thing....

Anywhoo...congrats on the rugrats and diapers and stuff....
Old 09-15-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by WJH'sFormula
Nice to see ya around...I noticed the refreshed sig before you even said anything. I have to say, I'm impressed. Mine puts up a fight when I want a new pair of shoes

My new car search is revolving soley around a car that doesn't require me to have a spine akin to a slinky to buckle my girl in the back seat. I've heard there are support groups for this sort of thing....

Anywhoo...congrats on the rugrats and diapers and stuff....
Dude just find a good chiropractor!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Somebody warned you it would be that way for 3-4 years...
Mine is STILL in a booster seat at 9 years because our state has a 12 y/o or 80-lb limit to get out of the booster.
It is really stupid isn't it. It makes you wonder how any of our Parents and Grand-Parents ever survived past 1years old. By all of todays saftey regs and concerns, they should NOT have lived and we should NOT be here.

(not saying it's a bad thing, but 12yr/old in a booster - when is enough enough)

Putting her in the car seat in the Envoy is not such a big deal, but the GXP feels like I need to be a contortionist to get her in there... and a Grand Prix isn't exactly a small car.... me being somewhat taller (6'3") probably adds to the issue.
I agree with you. i've got an 05' GP and even being a "big" car it's still a PITA to get my 2yr/old and 3yr/old out. The 3yr/old is in a booster now so that's a little easier (she's also independant and wants to get in/out herself. one benefit of a low riding car).

But I've been trying to sell my 00' 4x4 Blazer to pick up a Camaro. But the more and more I put them in it, i'm halfway thinking about keeping it around because it's easier then the car. (but I really want that LS1 )
Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z

But I've been trying to sell my 00' 4x4 Blazer to pick up a Camaro. But the more and more I put them in it, i'm halfway thinking about keeping it around because it's easier then the car. (but I really want that LS1 )

TrailBlazer SS
Old 09-21-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by soul strife
It almost seems that they might use a type of "swing out arm / bracket" instead of a sliding track?? And/or, maybe it's a combination of the two? (first the door opens out, swings out on the arms, then slides back on rails mounted IN the bottom of the door?) I'm sure it would be a tricky design to perfect, but that's what engineers are for, right??

I think that would actually be a GREAT style of rear door ..... heck, it would be a great FRONT door design too!!! No more concern about parking in tight spaces and swinging mile-long doors open!!

The suicide door thing, while it has its obvious benefits, also has its drawbacks as previously mentioned (ie: try carrying a load of groceries, bound for the back seat, but first open the front door, then tuck in close to it while you swing open the back door, then re-close the back door every time you have to go for the next item(s) ). I've realized the drawbacks after having used my Dad's '00 Sierra for the last few years. Great in open spaces, terrible parked beside another car / object.