Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM Disbands High Performance Vehicle Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by El Duce
So what they're basically saying is that they're going to back to the late 80s and 90s era when the Camaro and the Corvette were the only cars with ***** that you could buy. (save the 3 year Impy SS).

Brilliant!
You just have to wonder if fuel efficient vehicles is what people most like about GM vehicles... as I'm sure it's not the highest priority for GM's current customers.

When customers think fuel efficiency and buy an economical car, I'm sure they'd think Japanese or Korean first.

That said, I wonder if the govt is forcing GM's hand too much and expecting GM to develop cars that nobody wants from them?

I hope my thoughts make sense.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 AM

I'm really not surprised by this move, even Toyota has disbanded their TRD operations I believe and they're in much, much better shape that GM. I don't think this means the end of "performance" cars per se, but it could mean less well executed "performance" than we've seen of late from GMPD.

So does this mean the end of 'Ring testing of cars? That would be the real sad part in this. They've baked in some real good chassis tuning and dynamics over the past couple of years (well at least the performance models, although cars like the base CTS, IIRC, were tuned on the 'Ring), it would be a shame to see that all go up in smoke.

GM really,really needs some good news to start flowing....
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 AM

what a bunch of BS. whats this going to mean for the camaro ss and potentially the vette , z06, and zr1?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
what a bunch of BS. whats this going to mean for the camaro ss and potentially the vette , z06, and zr1?
Nothing as far as I know. The Corvette is done by the Corvette guys, not the high performance Vehicle group. (someone correct me if this is wrong)

SS is just a regular production Camaro and the Z28 is already done, but now I hear GM isn't going to sell it.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Z28x
Nothing as far as I know. The Corvette is done by the Corvette guys, not the high performance Vehicle group. (someone correct me if this is wrong)

SS is just a regular production Camaro and the Z28 is already done, but now I hear GM isn't going to sell it.
I agree so far. I don't think this is regular production vehicles they they have put on hold (like the Camaro SS), but special versions of regular productions vehicles engineered by the GM division that is similar to Ford's SVT division.

As far as the Z28, that is loaded and cocked and just ready to have the trigger pulled on it. We'll see if that actually happens.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 AM

It appears that GM is moving its resources around. Right now they need a division that makes quality, sustainable cars for the company. I'm sure the performance division will return in time. GM is in the process of finding itself right now...it's got a big patch of vehicles, a lot of which are bad weeds. GM needs all the resources it can get to get their replacements out the door.

I'm going to be supportive...The alternative is bankrupcy, or potentially North American ops being bought out or sold off, or really weird mergers.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM

I didn't read the whole thing, but as long as they don't kill what they already have out (G8GXP, CTSv, ZR1, Chevy SS's) I guess I'm ok w/ it as a money saver, since nothing coming down the pike that I've seen, save for the CTS coupe, really interests me in the least. Not much the performance team could do w/ a Cruize that would make me want one.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

Here's what I can say after a conversation or two...

Clearly, GM is under the microscope and they need to "play nice". The people are there and just dispersed, the division isn't. Nothing lasts forever, things can always change again. This so far has very little or no impact on the Camaro, only the low volume type of vehicles.

EDIT: Camaro SS is safe, as I suspected. https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=669516

When asked if the demise of High Performance Vehicle Operations meant the end of the road for such vehicles as the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, company spokesman Vince Muniga said: "No. You've got the Camaro SS coming out. It is not threatened at all."

"Camaro SS, Corvette ZR1 and Corvette Z06 are all regularly engineered cars," Muniga explained. "They did not go through HPVO. Most people did not realize that. They are safe."

HPVO created such products as the V-Series Cadillacs, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS and the HHR SS.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 PM

General Motors is in dire straights. As I said back before the LA show, this is as bad as it gets, and GM's existence is at stake.

The first thing that goes when any automotive brand needs to save money is performance vehicles or divisions (Ford's SVT for example). This happens because performance vehicles represent such a small segment that it's resources (money and people) can be better deployed focusing on developing mainstream...and bigger selling... vehicles.

The kneejerk reaction despite whatthe facts and reality actually are....as always.... is that "government is 'making' GM do this", or "is 'forcing' GM to make cars people don't want".

Fact is that GM got themselves into this situation because of what has turned out to be utterly horrendously shortsighted and conservative management, and forces outside of their control that brought their house of cards down.

Fact also is that GM (and Chrysler) MUST PROVE THEY ARE FINANCIALLY VIABLE AND ARE ABLE TO REPAY THE MONEY. Based on current rules of the money GM took, nothing more and nothing less.

Many here fail to realize that the only reason GM is in existence this very moment is because they are living on government money. To be blunt with you, as a taxpayer, I would be enraged beyond words if my tax dollars went to GM without demands and clear plans to ensure that money would be paid back instead of GM (or Chrysler, or any other automaker) simply doing business as usual.

But I suppose it's easier to blame government for everything in this age where responsibility, both of an individual or a corperation, are both taboo with the American population.

Last edited by guionM; 02-19-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM

I think the larger concern is how such a move looks in terms of the overall future of performance whether at GM or any other manufacturer.

It seems reasonable to say that all automakers are going to be under ever-increasing pressure to “go green” with little or no regard to what the majority of the public wants to buy and I would say that will be especially true for any automaker who drinks at the government trough.

For those who take the money; the government won’t just be able to put pressure on them but will be virtually able to dictate what is built.

It may come down to true performance only being available to those with lots and lots of disposal income to spend while Joe Six-Pack will be left with whatever our caretaker sees fit to allow us to buy.

The last time the "green" move came from Washington, back in the late 60s and early 70s, it took nearly 25 years before real performance became available again. I'm not saying everything during that time frame was bad or that we need to turn back the clock as vehicles today are generally much, much better than what we had then. But, I can't help but be concerned about the future of performance vehicles in teh near term...some of you probalby have time to wait 25 years but I don't amymore

Sorry…I suppose I’m just in a pessimistic mood today.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 AM

It's dissapointing to see the V series go, I liked most of the Caddy cars they offered...but honestly no one can be surprised by this move.

They need to worry about selling regular cars; they don't move enough of any of their high performance vechicles to make GM viable, in fact they haven't been selling enough 'regular' vechicles to make them viable either.

If GM can turn the corner, I imagine this division, or something similar in its place will be back. But that could be many, many years from now, if at all.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by lil_mikey69
It's dissapointing to see the V series go, I liked most of the Caddy cars they offered...but honestly no one can be surprised by this move.
I don't think the V is going anywhere. The LSA powered CTS-v is all new, so all its development is done. This would only effect the next generation. Furthermore GM has already come out and said the employees were dispersed to other areas in the company.

The Division isn't dead; its on hiatus!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28

The Division isn't dead; its on hiatus!
so 8 years later it can come back?