Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM agrees not to import Chinese subcompacts

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 PM

GM agrees not to import Chinese subcompacts

UAW: GM will make subcompacts in U.S.

General Motors Corp. agreed not to import Chinese-made subcompact cars to the U.S. as part of its concession deal with the United Auto Workers, union President Ron Gettelfinger said today.

Instead, the company will build up to 160,000 of the cars per year at an existing U.S. factory and sell them in the U.S., Gettelfinger said in a telephone interview with the Associated Press.

GM had said in documents submitted to Congress that it planned to produce up to 51,000 subcompacts per year in China and ship them to the U.S. starting in 2011.

A summary of the UAW-GM deal says an innovative labor agreement is needed for the company to produce tiny cars in the U.S. But Gettelfinger said that deal is near completion.

“I think basically we’re there,” he said. “There may have to be a few minor tweaks. The agreement that’s in place here is competitive.”

The deal, which freezes wages, cuts bonuses, reduces break time, and takes company stock to fund half of a $20 billion trust that will take on retiree health care expenses starting next year, will save GM more than $1 billion per year.

UAW members are scheduled to finish voting on the deal by 4 p.m. Friday, Gettelfinger said. At least one local, in Spring Hill, Tenn., already has approved it with 88% voting in favor.

GM’s plan to make the Chevrolet Spark subcompact in China and ship it to the U.S. drew criticism from the UAW and some members of Congress as it was negotiating the concession agreement. The plan was a political problem for the company, with the UAW saying it was wrong to take U.S. taxpayer loans and then ship jobs overseas.

GM has received $19.4 billion in federal loans and likely will get another $30 billion. The company likely will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday.

Company spokeswoman Sherri Childers Arb would say only that GM won’t comment on its product plans.

GM will announce plans to close 14 more U.S. factories on Monday, shedding 21,000 jobs, but Gettelfinger said he didn’t know the locations of all the plans and would not reveal the ones he knows.

“The company has made it clear they will be making that announcement on their terms. We accept that. We understand that there’s some capacity issues there,” he said.

He also wouldn’t comment on GM’s potential bankruptcy filing.

“I just think that a lot of progress has been made in the last week,” he said. “That’s always a positive sign.”

Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally and its top labor negotiator both have said they will seek the same concessions that GM and Chrysler LLC got from the UAW so they are not placed at a disadvantage. Gettelfinger himself has said in the past he did not want Ford to be at a disadvantage.

But he wouldn’t say today whether the UAW will reopen talks with Ford, the only Detroit automaker that isn’t receiving government money.

The union, he said, is focused on Chrysler’s bankruptcy court hearings and the GM contract vote.

“Eventually we’ll come up for air and then we’ll pause and we’ll take a look around,” he said.
http://freep.com/article/20090528/BUSINESS0101/90528093
Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM

China or not, I will not buy. I've worked for gm, and, had close encounters with the uaw trades for many years. I will build my own vehicle. Lots of kits out there. Also, a Buel MC (made in America!). There's more to cars than assembly of parts, so, stop with the accolades of uaw. All the vehicle design and tooling design + build will be outsourced of the US. I've seen it, lived it, know it. Uaw is very expensive. B.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM

I'm glad to see this. There's no point in keeping the domestic manufacturers alive if they don't continue to manufacture domestically!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
I'm glad to see this. There's no point in keeping the domestic manufacturers alive if they don't continue to manufacture domestically!
+1
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by mzgp5x
China or not, I will not buy. I've worked for gm, and, had close encounters with the uaw trades for many years. I will build my own vehicle. Lots of kits out there. Also, a Buel MC (made in America!). There's more to cars than assembly of parts, so, stop with the accolades of uaw. All the vehicle design and tooling design + build will be outsourced of the US. I've seen it, lived it, know it. Uaw is very expensive. B.
I believe every bit of it. Boeing is doing the same thing with their new 787 formally known as the 7E7.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 PM

While I hate the idea of GM making cars in China....one of their core problems has been that they have to keep making small cars here in the US, paying uncompetive US labor rates. It is insane that it is cheaper to make a car in China and ship it here than it is to make it here. Is there even another subcompact made in the US.

Note, they were gonna import 50K from China, but now that they are gonna be made here, the number jumps to 160,000 units. I wonder if thats how many they have to sell to be profitable in a US factory.

I am not against cars being made in the US...I do however think that GM should be able to tie workers pay to how profitable the car they are making is. If you want to keep subcompact production in the US...the UAW should have to give up some wage in manufactuering those cars.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 AM

So importing a Buick Park Avenue from china is ok....
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by formula79

I am not against cars being made in the US...I do however think that GM should be able to tie workers pay to how profitable the car they are making is. If you want to keep subcompact production in the US...the UAW should have to give up some wage in manufactuering those cars.
the article in the original post indicated that they were taking the steps needed to build a sub-compact in the united states with competitive wages/costs.

This is the section I'm referring to:

A summary of the UAW-GM deal says an innovative labor agreement is needed for the company to produce tiny cars in the U.S. But Gettelfinger said that deal is near completion.

“I think basically we’re there,” he said. “There may have to be a few minor tweaks. The agreement that’s in place here is competitive.”

The deal, which freezes wages, cuts bonuses, reduces break time, and takes company stock to fund half of a $20 billion trust that will take on retiree health care expenses starting next year, will save GM more than $1 billion per year.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
While I hate the idea of GM making cars in China....one of their core problems has been that they have to keep making small cars here in the US, paying uncompetive US labor rates. It is insane that it is cheaper to make a car in China and ship it here than it is to make it here. Is there even another subcompact made in the US.

Note, they were gonna import 50K from China, but now that they are gonna be made here, the number jumps to 160,000 units. I wonder if thats how many they have to sell to be profitable in a US factory.

Ford is going to make the Focus in the USA, Fiesta I think is either in the US or Mexico. A lot of small cars are made in Japan, then shipped here. I assume Japanese wages are close to American. How can they built the Yaris and Fit in Japan and still make money on them? Am I just wrong about Japanese wages?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Ford is going to make the Focus in the USA, Fiesta I think is either in the US or Mexico. A lot of small cars are made in Japan, then shipped here. I assume Japanese wages are close to American. How can they built the Yaris and Fit in Japan and still make money on them? Am I just wrong about Japanese wages?
I belive those countries have nationalized health care or something like that.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
That is a great point. I hope someone can answer this.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 PM

- Exchange rate advantages (that may be going away)

- They build a lot of them and export them everywhere (which Ford is planning to do with the Fiesta/Focus)

Not to mention you can easily pay $20K for a Fit.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 PM

Also, Ford has not made money on the Focus...they supposedly will on the new version they are tooling up for..but seems like manufactuers say "We'll make money on this one!" for every new compact they bring out. There was an article on this WSJ. I don't think there is a subcompact made in the US right now.