Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Gas-guzzlers go to hell...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 03:46 PM

Gas-guzzlers go to hell...

Reported in the daily news section on Car and Driver's site.

Jesus Drives a Hybrid

November 20, 2002

An evangelical Christian group plans to roll out a TV ad campaign arguing that gas-guzzlers are contrary to Christian moral teachings about protecting people and the earth. The tagline for the ads: "What Would Jesus Drive?" the Wall Street Journal reports.

One of the group's leaders, the Rev. Jim Ball, said, "We hope that when Christians go to purchase their next vehicle, they will ask: 'What would Jesus have me drive?'... We think the answer would be he would have you drive the most fuel-efficient vehicle that truly meets your needs."
The group also plans to meet in the Detroit area with officials from Ford, GM and the United Auto Workers union. And it will release an open letter to U.S. auto makers signed by more than 30 senior U.S. religious leaders, including the U.S. heads of the Lutheran, Presbyterian and Greek Orthodox churches and of the institutions representing reform and conservative Judaism, which reads in part: "Because automobiles are having such an extraordinary global impact, choices about what cars to build raise fundamental moral issues...Automobile manufacturing now requires thinking about values, not just vehicles."

Story
I'm all for hybrids and improved fuel economy, but taking this angle seems a bit outrageous.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:55 PM

Eh, I'm just going to respond with this quote:

"It's your God, their your rules, you go to hell!"
Old 11-20-2002, 04:00 PM

Angry

This has got to be the most assinine, backward, idiotic, brainless thing I've read in recent memory. There is something that just rubs me raw when somone attenpts to use religion to guide someones purchases. It's the same as saying if you buy "brand x" over "brand y", then you are going against what (in this case) Jesus would want?!

What's next? "Toilet X is what Jesus would use because it flushes with less water? "Brand Z tires are what Jesus would use, because it's made from recycled material"? If there was ever a showcase for the nut branch of a particular religion, I think I've just seen it.

I don't call myself a conservative & I tend to give other's personal beliefs wide berth, but whoever came up with this idea really needs to be horsewhipped!

Last edited by guionM; 11-20-2002 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:28 PM

Thumbs down

Those evangelical dudes are retards, and yes I'm a Catholic saying that! I guess I will be basnished to hell from that guy

Hey, a beef with SUVs is fine. But this is a rediculous approach!! What would Jesus do? He wouldn't drive ****! He'd walk, ride a bike, or ride the city bus.

Besides, look what is out: Mustang, Cama...err...Corvette, Lightning, Viper, etc. Look what's coming out: GTO, CTSv, XLR, Supra MKV. Performance is coming back. Buuuut, after these losers go after the SUVs, guess what they will attack? That's right, fellow auto enthusiasts: our pride and joy...

[loser evangelical]Mustangs and GTOs are big and smelley! P.U.!![/loser evangelical]
Old 11-20-2002, 04:39 PM

Jesus would drive a hybrid car from a country where most people are pagan?

Makes sense. Uh-huh. Yeah, right.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:42 PM

Jesus drives a white Z06. End of story.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:03 PM

I have a confession....
I am jesus
Old 11-20-2002, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Chuck!
Jesus drives a white Z06. End of story.
"All Corvettes are red....the rest are just mistakes".
Old 11-20-2002, 05:29 PM
Banned

Iam a Catholic and I belive Jesus couldnt care less what I drive. Tell them God made the earth. God made the dinosaurs. God killed the dinosaurs. Oil comes from dead dinosaurs. End of story.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:04 PM

You guys are all forgetting something. Jesus was a carpenter. You know he would have a crew cab dually pick-up
Old 11-20-2002, 06:41 PM

What would Alah drive?
Old 11-20-2002, 06:56 PM

What would Alah drive?
I'd say a V8 RWD Camel

I'm with guionM on religous groups telling us what to do.

The world would be a much better place without this archaic crap they call "Religon"
Old 11-20-2002, 08:39 PM

What I find extremely ironic is how these various church "leaders" do everything BUT look after spiritual matters, their real and only responsibilty in the world.

It is also stupid, neglectful, brainless and hypocritical to apply "What would Jesus do?" to a choice of car, yet there are no such advertising campaigns about violence, AIDS, abuse, moral issues, etc... etc... etc..., issues FAR more important than what kind of car someone drives.

In my opinion, and I'm sure in the views of many, this is a mockery to those religious leaders and to Christianity in general. And in today's world where people do not let religion "guide" them in areas of morality, do the marketing heads really think that people will say "Hey, Jesus wouldn't drive that SUV, maybe I shouldn't either..." Who are they kidding?

I am just amazed at the ridiculous idea and at the fact that such idea got approved.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by AnthonyHSV

The world would be a much better place without this archaic crap they call "Religon"
You won't have to wait too long, it will go south one day.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:22 PM

what would jesus want me to drive??he would want me to buy the biggest damn gas-guzzling 4 wheel drive SUV i could find and he would want me to drive around all day long all by myself(even though the sinful SUV seats 9),and he would want me to run the air with all the windows down and never take it off-road to get it dirty and he would want me to burn up as much gas as possible!!!!why??so i could **** off all these morons abusing his good name with all this nonsense!!!

Quick Reply: Gas-guzzlers go to hell...