Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Future TrailBlazer SS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM

Future TrailBlazer SS?

I'm going to be getting rid of my Camaro in the next while, along with my Blazer.

When the 5th Gen comes out I plan on getting one of those to replace my current Fbody.

In the meantime........I'm thinking a TrailblazerSS would make a great family vehilce and provide some much needed fun.

Does anybody here have any experience with these trucks?
The only thing I don't like about it is that it pretty much has the same tranny as my current Blazer.......which is not such a good thing.

I am thinking that GM may be putting the newer 6speed auto, and that is something worth holding out for.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:49 PM

Re: Future TrailBlazer SS?

I'd much rather have the GC SRT8. The TB needs an overall REAL bad - especially on the inside. Not to say the GC is great either, but it's better IMO.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Disciple

Other than being a "little" thirsty at the pump we absolutely love ours. 6 months old, not a problem to report and it tows a trailer like that's what it was born for.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 PM

I just took advantage of the 0% financing and got myself one this past weekend. From all the research I did before hand, I figured it would be an impressive vehicle, but it's better than I thought it would be. It handles better than any other SUV I've been in and the acceleration and engine/exhausts sounds are perfect. I almost don't miss driving my camaro (still have it) when I'm driving the TB, and it's a lot more fun in less than perfect weather (AWD = no worries about traction). I wasn't sure about it until I test drove one, and after I did, there was no doubt in my mind. If you can live with a decent, functional interior, you should definitely consider one. Go for a test drive and see how you like it.

Josh
Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'd much rather have the GC SRT8. The TB needs an overall REAL bad - especially on the inside. Not to say the GC is great either, but it's better IMO.
Better in what way? Interior aesthetics?

The TBSS actually has utility and can tow....
Old 07-06-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by uluz28
Better in what way? Interior aesthetics?

The TBSS actually has utility and can tow....
Interior aesthetics, yep. Perceived quality, creature comforts, ride quality/road noise, on road performance - maybe off road performance too.

The SRT-8 will still tow close to 2 tons. That's not mind-blowing but it's certainly enough for the average suburbanite and his bass boat and two jet skis.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:55 AM

Interior aesthetics, yep. Perceived quality, creature comforts, ride quality/road noise, on road performance - maybe off road performance too.

The SRT-8 will still tow close to 2 tons. That's not mind-blowing but it's certainly enough for the average suburbanite and his bass boat and two jet skis.
Bass boat?? Puuleeez....suburbanites are towing these nowadays...

Close to two tons is pitiful, IMO. Your average 20+ ft. boat weighs 3000lbs and up DRY. Kinda pointless owning a truck that doesn't actually perform like a truck, don't ya think?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:09 AM

YEAH, but where will you put the tow hitch? On the Grand Cherokee SRT8 the space in the rear bumper cutout which is occupied by a hitch for every-other GC has twin exhaust pipes on the SRT. I.E. no where to put your hitch.

Besides, I just looked at a a GCSRT8 that came to $51,000 with the $5,000 'market adjustment" at a John Elway dealer in Denver. A Trailblazer SS AWD at a John Elway dealer in Denver came out to $34,000, loaded with Nav, with their standard discount.

Prove to me that... "Interior aesthetics, yep. Perceived quality, creature comforts, ride quality/road noise, on road performance - maybe off road performance too." add up a $17,000 difference.

Also, if you think that that ANYONE would take either of these vehicles off road your an asshat.

Last edited by 94FBIRD; 07-07-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 AM

there was a dude with a vector tune, stall converter, and a K&N filter running 12.7s with his TBSS.

the GCSRT-8 may be initially faster but at least you can mod an LSx.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pandamonkey
Does anybody here have any experience with these trucks?
I tested one for Autoblog and loved it enough to consider selling my Impala. Yes, the interior is kinda crappy, but as long as the LS2 is under the hood, they could have done the interior with milk crates and wood paneling and I still would have wet myself with joy.

Not only is the engine wonderful, but the TBSS AWD is downright shocking in its ability to put that power down to the road.

My biggest problem with it was the fuel economy - I managed right around 15 MPG with gentle highway driving, and I managed to average 10.x MPG on one tank by, er, exploring its capabilities.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:37 AM

According to car and driver, the TBSS is just as capable off road as its normal counter part. Not true for the GC srt8, it is strictly an on road vehicule.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
My biggest problem with it was the fuel economy - I managed right around 15 MPG with gentle highway driving,
While I'm challenged to match your 15 .... 14 is the norm, I still get 12+ with the trailer, which is really why I wanted this truck in the first place. To be able to pull out and pass on a two lane with the trailer almost as well as most others without a trailer is priceless.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:46 PM

TB SS > GC SRT8.

SRT8 is faster but that's all it's got over the TB for me.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:13 PM

Faster, better ride, nicer interior, more creature comforts... pretty much the only place it loses out is that it only tows 3500 or so pounds to the TB's 6000 pounds. But I suppose if that's a deterrent then you same guys would still give the nod to the Toyota Tacoma over the Colorado considering the difference in max towing capacities is similar? And that's assuming the Tacoma's interior is cheaper, has fewer creature comforts, and rides worse, too... which we all know is most definitely not the case at the moment.

It seems people magically care about towing when comparing the smaller BOF SUVs, but when talking about trucks I hear "if you care about towing you shouldn't be getting a small truck anyway - that's what the full sizers are for". So why in this thread aren't people saying "The GC is as good or better at everything that really matters, except price - if you care about towing, get a Tahoe"?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:09 PM

and it is odd how someone who seemed to care about towing when discussing tacoma vs. colorado now does not care as much. hmmmm.

some people are biased towards gm (me being one) just like you are biased towards toyota. the difference is that not everyone has to derail threads due to their bias. better ride, nicer interior, more creature comforts is your opinion, but others may not agree, and even if they do agree...may not be willing to pay the extra cash in order to receive those items.

Quick Reply: Future TrailBlazer SS?