Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

full cobra pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 05:44 PM

Re: full cobra pics

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
I have to admit, begrudgingly, that looks pretty awesome.

At least Ford is willing to bring us this kind of car TODAY instead of making promises over and over again.

Chrysler can bring us a car like the 300 TODAY, not 4 years from now...

GM needs to stop trying to follow the leader and start trying to BE the leader. Try to think of the next big thing rather than always trying to match what the current big thing is. By the time they get the product to market the market's already moved on anyway.
hit the nail on the head there
good last comment, agree wholeheartedly
Old 03-22-2005, 06:45 PM

Oh well, at least we've got the Malibu MaXX SS

Anyone hear that sucking sound? That's the majority of the Camaro holdouts exiting the building.

Think about it. Now you have to ask yourselves two questions: Do you have faith that GM will develop a Camaro? and... If they do is there any chance it's going to be this freakin' badass?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Re: Oh well, at least we've got the Malibu MaXX SS

Looks good but I expected more. It looks like a GT without fog lights and with Z06 rims.

450HP =
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM

I dont think that the Camaro will need to compete with the cobra in this form. The Vette will deal with this, and the Camaro will be on par with the GT, Saleen, GT350 and whatever other models they might be putting out. But this is obviously fords way of stealing some of the Vettes sales. But I guess we'll see what the MSRP is.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:49 PM

Arrow Re: full cobra pics

looks much better than i was expecting (the only minor thing missing that would make it perfect would be the bigger tail lights from the concept)

I must say i'm a little disappointed with the use of the heavy iron block, which will add a lot of weight to the front end (but is also cheaper and will hold strong under more boost)...

The lack of IRS is what really gets me...about 13 months ago, I remember lamenting on this site about the lack of a proper performance rear suspension in the GT (at least as an option), and I remember all the FoMoCo execs saying it was a business decision to keep the GT cheap, and people that wanted it could pay for it in the next cobra...well, the next cobra is here, and still no IRS...
Old 03-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WERM
Anyone hear that sucking sound? That's the majority of the Camaro holdouts exiting the building.
sigged

sorry for whoever had sig presence for the 2 hours they had it, this quote is better

Last edited by anasazi; 03-23-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:21 PM

Meh. After all the over the top photo chops on the sites before production I'm completely underwhelmed. :blah:
Old 03-22-2005, 08:32 PM

I have some mixed feelings here.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very cool and all.........but I personally would have preferred an SVT Cobra Mustang, rather than an SVT Shelby Cobra GT-500 Mustang.

Not quite sure I like the stripes either. And I think losing IRS is a retrograde move.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:35 PM

I personally think it's awesome and if there is no Camaro by 09 I may be buying a new mustang.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I have some mixed feelings here.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very cool and all.........but I personally would have preferred an SVT Cobra Mustang, rather than an SVT Shelby Cobra GT-500 Mustang.

Not quite sure I like the stripes either. And I think losing IRS is a retrograde move.

Here's my take.

The new fella running SVT, Hau Thai-Tang, decided that Colletti was all wrong in trying to take SVT upscale(chasing BMW M5s etc). He's all about cost and price.

Word is the Shelby Cobra is going to come in around $36K!!! That's incredible given that we're getting a whipple charged 4V DOHC 5.4 with all forged internals. It'll be cranking over 450 at 8 PSI!!!

This guy knows the Cobra is going to get pullied and tuned to about 600+ RWHP and he sticks in a no nonsense iron block and throws a bullet proof solid axle under there. The car with just a pulley and tune will be Z06 fast and it'll live. With Ford seeing far less repair(warranty) work.

It's the Ford gearhead's dream. Much better than a $45K IRS aluminum block Cobra.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
Here's my take.

The new fella running SVT, Hau Thai-Tang, decided that Colletti was all wrong in trying to take SVT upscale(chasing BMW M5s etc). He's all about cost and price.

Word is the Shelby Cobra is going to come in around $36K!!! That's incredible given that we're getting a whipple charged 4V DOHC 5.4 with all forged internals. It'll be cranking over 450 at 8 PSI!!!

This guy knows the Cobra is going to get pullied and tuned to about 600+ RWHP and he sticks in a no nonsense iron block and throws a bullet proof solid axle under there. The car with just a pulley and tune will be Z06 fast and it'll live. With Ford seeing far less repair(warranty) work.

It's the Ford gearhead's dream. Much better than a $45K IRS aluminum block Cobra.

I see your point. I still would rather have an SVT Cobra though.

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-22-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=BigBlueCruiser]

[QUOTE]

So how are they going to do that when you can option out a regular GT for over 30k? It will pretty lucky if it stays at under 40k I think. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the "Shelby" name alone jacks up the price.

Last edited by SNEAKY NEIL; 03-22-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 PM

I like everything about this car EXCEPT for the "ducktail". Just doesn't get it just right IMO. If I could afford one and I can't I'd definately order it with a spoiler delete. I saw a 68 fastback Stang this evening with Shelby stripes and it was a thing a of beauty. This one would be as well minus the ducktail.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:50 PM

Does anyone know the possible date for ordering mentioned in the thread on TMS?

Anyone wanna buy a Comp T/A ?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:00 PM

I of course don't like it, just as i don't like the regular GT. For some reason it reminds me of the King Cobras of the mid to late 70's.

Quick Reply: full cobra pics