Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Fuel Efficiency is King: Turbo Four to Replace BMW's Naturally Aspirated Inline-6

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 AM

Re: Fuel Efficiency is King: Turbo Four to Replace BMW's Naturally Aspirated Inline-6

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Yeah, but it was distinct. All turbo 4's sound the same except for the Boxer engine from Subaru which is almost tolerable.
Hah, so wrong! Been around 8's and 4's long enough to know that some 4's can sound good, and not all turbo 4's sound the same. An 85-89 turboford sounds sort of agricultural (no really, tractor sound) and a modern srt-4 sounds burly, a cobalt ss sounds way different than an EVO etc, the genesis coupe is almost too quiet etc....
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 AM

Re: Fuel Efficiency is King: Turbo Four to Replace BMW's Naturally Aspirated Inline-6

Originally Posted by Threxx
This makes sense. The 328i loaners I used to get were pretty forgettable. Yeah the engine was smooth and made reasonable power, but they were also pretty 'vanilla' in that there was little joy from gunning them. I had way more fun in my less powerful Audi A4 2.0t than I ever come close to in those 328i loaners. Not to mention I got incredible MPG out of that 2.0 turbo the Audi had. The 328i... well I never took one on a road trip but according to the info center they weren't really returning that great of gas mileage. Not terrible but something that a turbo 4 would easily make a huge improvement over.

I had a 2007 335i and I really liked the exhaust note.

I actually made a video of a 328i loaner car I got from the dealer. I think the exhaust is decent, though the 335i's is better, I guess we're mostly discussing the 328i since that's the one getting its powertrain replaced.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=156&t ransactionid=1296426905-7566170128&posted_by=Threxx_camaroz28.com[/autostream]
I agree that vw 2.0 is a great engine, our gli is very fun to drive. I'm also very intrigued to see how this new engine feels since my mini's little 1.6L valvetronic turbo feels bigger than the gli's engine(by which I mean how much you have to rev it to make the car move in 1st). So a 2.0 with the same valvetronic setup should feel very nice.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:52 AM

Exhaust note, BMW I6 vs 4? That's like discussing who's king turd of crap mountain.

BMW I6s sound like *** with any aftermarket exhaust, raspy and rattly--whoever said only a rotary is worse is absolutely right. Jag's old I6 sounded pretty good.

Most 4s are pretty unoffensive, but all Subarus sound like riding lawnmowers, especially with aftermarket exhaust.

And, just to keep it fair, Vipers sounds like UPS trucks. Putting an exhaust on them only makes them sound UPS trucks with exhaust leaks.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by latinspice-94T/A
Hah, so wrong! Been around 8's and 4's long enough to know that some 4's can sound good, and not all turbo 4's sound the same. An 85-89 turboford sounds sort of agricultural (no really, tractor sound) and a modern srt-4 sounds burly, a cobalt ss sounds way different than an EVO etc, the genesis coupe is almost too quiet etc....
I am going to disagree with you. I still have never heard a 4 cylinder motor that sounds good or intimidating. Hell, I don't even like the sound of pretty much any V6 or I6. Nothing compares to the V8 rumble whether it is idling or revving up.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
slt

The Boxer 4 that Subaru uses can sound decent. Nothing like a V8, but better than an inline 4.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 PM

I am going to disagree with you. I still have never heard a 4 cylinder motor that sounds good or intimidating. Hell, I don't even like the sound of pretty much any V6 or I6. Nothing compares to the V8 rumble whether it is idling or revving up.
Tru'dat, outside of that though there is the pure bad assery of Jag's XJ13 with its prototype V12 in which they essentially married two of the company's I6 engines onto one crankshaft rather than doing a clean sheet design.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 PM

If I could somehow get a two-stroke v8 diesel for my car, I'd be happy
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 AM
West South Central Moderator

...a new 2.0-liter, turbocharged inline-4 engine. The new engine produces 240hp (the same as the E36 M3) and 260 lb-ft of torque at just 1,250 rpm...
I'm wondering why their own twin turbo 4.4L V8 (the one that moved the turbos to inside the V) is only rated at 400hp & 450lb-ft? I know that smaller displacement engines statistically tend to have higher specific output, but if the 4.4L V8 were to equal the specific output of the 2.0L, then it would be producing 528hp & 572lb-ft!!!

I am also kinda laughing that GM's turbo 2L LNF was making 260/260 back in 2007 in MUCH lower priced vehicles
Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
I'm wondering why their own twin turbo 4.4L V8 (the one that moved the turbos to inside the V) is only rated at 400hp & 450lb-ft? I know that smaller displacement engines statistically tend to have higher specific output, but if the 4.4L V8 were to equal the specific output of the 2.0L, then it would be producing 528hp & 572lb-ft!!!

I am also kinda laughing that GM's turbo 2L LNF was making 260/260 back in 2007 in MUCH lower priced vehicles
BMW is not going for hp/l of displacement with their mainstream turbos. They're going of hp/l of fuel used. The M-versions of these turbo engines push up the hp/l number.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Well, that's ok I guess. Just your opinion.

I liked the sound of my SVT Focus at 7k with the big TB, it sounded great. Not like my T/A at all, different, but good as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Let's not also forget, the inline-6 makes a terrible exhaust note.
I like the sound of my BMW's 2.8L I6 with stock exhaust better than my Z06 with stock exhaust or any Z06's with aftermarket exhausts I've heard.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM

The main reason BMW is switching from a N/A inline-6 to a turbo inline-4 is for fuel economy. I doubt the exhaust note was ever a serious consideration.

That said, although I love the raspy growl of a V8, provided it breathed properly, I'd rather my daily driver have a V8 (or a turbo V6) yet sound like an anemic four-banger. It's called being stealth my friends. Back in the day, we called them "sleepers". Any novice can slap a fart cannon on a crappy car and make it loud. However it takes real engineering genius to make a car look and sound like grandma's grocery getter, yet have the power and handling when it counts and that is certainly unexpected by most stop-light victims.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by CatsTasteGood
I like the sound of my BMW's 2.8L I6 with stock exhaust better than my Z06 with stock exhaust or any Z06's with aftermarket exhausts I've heard.

OK, while I too like (a LOT) BMW's inline sixes, I'm going to have to ask you to lay down your crack pipe and try that post again.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C

OK, while I too like (a LOT) BMW's inline sixes, I'm going to have to ask you to lay down your crack pipe and try that post again.

I wish I could. It's not that the V8 sounds bad to me, just that it sounds somewhat common and generic to me. Hell, on my 15 mile drive to work I'll be I encounter 20 vehicles with modified exhausts and 18 of them are V8's.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by latinspice-94T/A
Well, that's ok I guess. Just your opinion.

I liked the sound of my SVT Focus at 7k with the big TB, it sounded great. Not like my T/A at all, different, but good as well.
I agree that it is all subjective. All I know is that even when I was too young to drive or in middle school, I would always turn my head when a V8 Mustang or Camaro drove by. I just love the sound. I cringe when I hear a 4 cylinder with a fart can. I just want it to leave the vicinity quickly But again, I am not mad that you like the sound. Different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: Fuel Efficiency is King: Turbo Four to Replace BMW's Naturally Aspirated Inline-6