Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ford shoots itself in the leg yet again.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:53 AM

Ford shoots itself in the leg yet again.

This hasn't appeared in print yet, and this decision is still early enough to be changed, but Ford US decided AGAINST making the new Ford Australia 2008 Falcon in left hand drive.

This protects the Middle East sales of the Ford Crown Victoria and Lincoln Town Car, but even more noteworthy, means that Ford will not be producing a Falcon based car here in the US, nor importing one from Australia.

An even more ominous situation is likely to develop that could very well kill Ford Australia. Australian sales of big cars are down much like fuel costs have reeled in SUV sales in the US. GM-Holden is in the cat seat because they have built up an agressive export network, and at least 1/3 of the Commodores and about 85% of the LWB Statesmans and Caprices will be sold in countries outside of Australia.

Ford of Australia on the other hand is dependent on the Australian market. Therefore a dip in sales that might be a speed bump to Holden can be catastrophic to Ford Australia. Also, Holden is almost set to get a smaller RWD car by decade's end. If Ford of Oz crashes, the only options will be to import the Crown Vic (way too big) or the Five Hundred (Oz is anti-FWD in big cars), so again, a catastrophy in the making.

As for us in the US, given Ford's decimated engineering resources & therefore the apparent unlikelihood of a D2C based sedan anytime soon, it's going to be no earlier than 2011 before Ford gets around to making a new RWD sedan.

I'm pretty certain Ford will return to profitability soon, but I'm not sure what's going to be left of it.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:55 AM

BTW, I want to add that Chrysler has done a shocking job at exporting from the US.

I've almost seen more PT Cruisers and 300Cs here than Monaros so far. The count is about 10, 5, and 5 so far.

The only other US based vehicle I've seen here is the Ford Territory (Freestyle in the US).
Old 11-09-2006, 05:15 AM

You mean the Ford Escape, don't you? The Territory is not exported as of yet, and certainly not to the US.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Decromin
You mean the Ford Escape, don't you? The Territory is not exported as of yet, and certainly not to the US.
Correct. My bad.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM

is Ford seriously trying to run itself into the ground? They seem to make the wrong decision on everything that's confronting them.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 AM

Giving Ford creit where it's due, I no longer think their headed for the scrapheap. Alot of their actions mirrored Studebaker's last decade so closely that it's downright errie.

However, the Edge is getting good to great reviews, and is right on time with the turn away from SUVs, and essentially creates a new segment like Chrysler did with the minivan. Also, though I'm loath to say this, I think Lincoln going AWD is going to pull those people who have been brainwashed into thinking they'll die driving a RWD car, which covers LX and Zeta. Ford to their eternal credit have not skimped with the Mustang (arguably the best managed brand on the market) and is aggressively manageing the F series.

But everything else raises the question is Ford actually purposely becoming a small company. They sure are running things like they want to loose market share.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:24 PM

The plan never really lifted off for LHD Falcon. It was on paper, but Ford killed as a way forward.

I do have some god news, but I will reply to my thread...
Old 11-10-2006, 05:25 AM

I really think Ford needs to fix Lincoln and fast, if they follow what GM did I think they can bring some luxury back the the car. and go from there..I see alot of potential from the MKZ..really nice car in person just when I see it my mind says its a luxury car but public preception its bottom feeder limo fodder car company..