CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Ford Shelby GT tested by Car & Driver (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/ford-shelby-gt-tested-car-driver-517153/)

stereomandan 04-26-2007 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6 (Post 4565297)
Where've you been? No, it's on a different, very heavy chassis, different engine.

???

I know all about the Mustang GT500, I don't live under a rock. :rolleyes: :)

Sounds like you also weren't aware of the Shelby GT.

Now, where have YOU been. :D

Thanks to those that answered my question. Doesn't sound like much of a change then versus a standard Mustang GT.

Dan

WJH'sFormula 04-26-2007 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by skorpion317 (Post 4565712)
In that comparison test, the 350Z should've won hands down. It was fastest around the road course, .1 second behind the Mustang 0-60, and tied the Mustang's ET. They picked the RX-8, the slowest car out of all four (by 1.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile!) as the winner. I think that C&D has finally lost their minds.

Because outright speed is the only virtue worth consideration in a car?

It's great that Ford is offering yet another limited edition Mustang. Too bad it's about 17 ways south of irrelevant.

Z284ever 04-26-2007 09:24 AM

I happen to think that the Mustang Shelby GT is a pretty cool package. Very overpriced though.

CLEAN 04-26-2007 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C (Post 4565473)
the Hertz Shelby Mustang.

Guess what I rented for a week in Florida this summer :yes:? Will report back in July....

Z28Wilson 04-26-2007 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 94Z28/03mach1 (Post 4565532)
Your paying for the Shelby name.Im sure its a fine car in its own right.

Sounds much like the 4th Gen Camaro SS.....a few upgrades here and there, similar 1/4 mile times compared to the less expensive Z28....

Yet the SS always got knocked. What makes the Shelby that much different....besides the fact it has Shelby written all over it?

:shrug:

skorpion317 04-26-2007 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by WJH'sFormula (Post 4565809)
Because outright speed is the only virtue worth consideration in a car?

In this class of cars? Yes. If you're buying a Mustang, Camaro, 350Z, etc., you're not worried about ride quality, backseat access, etc. It's all about the car's performance and style. Therefore, in this comparison test, the 350Z should've won hands down.

95z28 -quicksilver 04-26-2007 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson (Post 4565940)
Sounds much like the 4th Gen Camaro SS.....a few upgrades here and there, similar 1/4 mile times compared to the less expensive Z28....

Yet the SS always got knocked. What makes the Shelby that much different....besides the fact it has Shelby written all over it?

:shrug:

Because an SS doesnt cost 10K more than a Z28 ;-)

Z28Wilson 04-26-2007 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by 95z28 -quicksilver (Post 4566276)
Because an SS doesnt cost 10K more than a Z28 ;-)

Right. Sooo why does the Shelby car get the praise and the SS was always seen as a pointless, overpriced package?

I understand the nostalgia aspect, but that seems like an awfully steep price to pay. I'm not sure I'd even buy the collectability argument since I am sure there will be many Shelby Mustang ventures in the future.

Z284ever 04-26-2007 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson (Post 4566308)
Right. Sooo why does the Shelby car get the praise and the SS was always seen as a pointless, overpriced package?

I understand the nostalgia aspect, but that seems like an awfully steep price to pay. I'm not sure I'd even buy the collectability argument since I am sure there will be many Shelby Mustang ventures in the future.

I'd say that's a pretty decent analogy - comparing the Camaro SS with the Shelby GT.

Maybe the reason Ford can get so much more money for a Shelby GT over a regular GT, (vs how much more the 4th gen SS was over the Z/28), is that any Shelby Mustang was always way more special than any Mustang GT. Perhaps if the branding on the 4th gen wasn't so completely firked up, people might look back on it differently today, IMO.

latinspice-94T/A 04-26-2007 02:50 PM

The new 350Z also outran the EVO 8 at buttonwillow. On the tarmac 350Z's are awesome machines, especially with the track package.

Z28Wilson 04-26-2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever (Post 4566463)
Maybe the reason Ford can get so much more money for a Shelby GT over a regular GT, (vs how much more the 4th gen SS was over the Z/28), is that any Shelby Mustang was always way more special than any Mustang GT. Perhaps if the branding on the 4th gen wasn't so completely firked up, people might look back on it differently today, IMO.

So basically even though the Shelby GT isn't that much more special than your regular GT today, it is living off of its past reputation. I guess I can buy that. It's kind of silly, but I can see it.

guionM 04-26-2007 03:06 PM

Charlie, I think you're one of the few people who get it. :)

The (post '97) Camaro SS was nothing more than a regular Z28 with a few handling parts and typically retailed for 10 grand over a base Z28.

In this instance, instead of getting a logo that's on everything from a Cobalt to a Silverado, you get a legendary name.

Sure, $38,000 is hella expensive for what you get. But the fact that people are STILL willing to pay $60 grand or more combined MSRP + markup to get his name on a car that's as quick as the last Cobra, I'm sure they'll pay 38K on a car with his name that's basically a Mustang GT with a Ford Catologue suspension and a mild tune.

You just KNOW what's going to happen to the value of these cars when Mr Shelby buys the farm, right? :eek:

96_Camaro_B4C 04-26-2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by guionM (Post 4566535)
Charlie, I think you're one of the few people who get it. :)

The (post '97) Camaro SS was nothing more than a regular Z28 with a few handling parts and typically retailed for 10 grand over a base Z28.

In this instance, instead of getting a logo that's on everything from a Cobalt to a Silverado, you get a legendary name.

Sure, $38,000 is hella expensive for what you get. But the fact that people are STILL willing to pay $60 grand or more combined MSRP + markup to get his name on a car that's as quick as the last Cobra, I'm sure they'll pay 38K on a car with his name that's basically a Mustang GT with a Ford Catologue suspension and a mild tune.

You just KNOW what's going to happen to the value of these cars when Mr Shelby buys the farm, right? :eek:

The SS package added $3k-$4k to the price of a Z28, with other SLP add-ons adding to that. The factory pricing for a base SS vs. a base Z28 (or a loaded SS vs. a loaded Z28) was not a $10k difference. But you are right in a sense that it wasn't uncommon for some dealers to order loaded up SLP optioned cars that stickered for $32k or more...

As for the value of these Shelby GTs after Mr. Shelby passes, I dunno. How are the Shelby-ized Dodge Omnis doing?

:think:

Z284ever 04-26-2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson (Post 4566516)
So basically even though the Shelby GT isn't that much more special than your regular GT today, it is living off of its past reputation. I guess I can buy that. It's kind of silly, but I can see it.

Yeah, I guess. It's a pretty cool car, but some sort of magic, above and beyond that makes people spend that much for one.

But Ford is usually pretty sharp with the way they brand Mustangs. I certainly wouldn't expect them to convolute the line-up the way Chevy did on the 4th gen.

For example, I can't imagine Ford putting the hallowed GT350 or Boss names on a plain jane base V8 Mustang - and the making you pay more if you want the GT.

Z28Wilson 04-26-2007 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by guionM (Post 4566535)

Well that remains to be seen. The original Shelby cars, sure. They were rare even back then. Today, anyone with enough money not only knows about them but they can easily go in and purchase one.

Originally Posted by Z284ever
For example, I can't imagine Ford putting the hallowed GT350 or Boss names on a plain jane base V8 Mustang - and the making you pay more if you want the GT.

Point taken, but regardless of how Ford markets this car the underlying guts of the thing makes it no better than the 4th Gen Camaro SS - Z28 comparison. Which goes back to my point of why did one catch so much flak from enthusiasts while the other is practically worshipped. Perhaps people really don't see very far past some badging and a somewhat artificial aura, I don't know.