Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ford may sell Land Rover and Jaguar brands

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 PM

Post Ford may sell Land Rover and Jaguar brands

Automaker Ford Motor may sell Land Rover, a maker of four-wheel-drive vehicles, along with Jaguar, as part of a shake-up of its British brands, The Sunday Times newspaper reported.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14216315/
Old 08-06-2006, 06:09 PM

Re: Ford may sell Land Rover and Jaguar brands

I don't see why Aston Martin isn't included in that bundle...

In any case I think this is a good idea as Jaguar has never made a dollar in its lifetime and its not as if Ford was spreading the technology around either. I dont know about Land Rover, seems like it should be profitable to me, but perhaps not enough.

Then again this could be another sign of them robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:57 PM

From what I can tell, Land Rover is actually doing pretty well.

I agree, Jaguar is a money pit.

Ford should rebody the entire Jaguar line, and sell them as Lincolns. God knows, Lincoln needs the boost.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 PM

I honestly like telling people that there Jaguar is a Ford and in a perfect world would like to see PAG a profitable part of Ford, but its far from a perfect world.

My question is who would really want to buy either?

In the absence of Land Rover BMW simply made SUVs under their brand like Mercedes, easy fix... I cant imagine either would have the slightest interest in Jaguar. Same goes for VW. So the germans are out.

Toyota doesen't need either. Perhaps the two would justify Honda raising its engineering ceiling so that Acura could have some better products. But that goes completely against their personality.

Nissan would probably be best bet as Infinit is stuck in that entry level position Acura and some others are in. And they want to seriously break into the truck market so LR could benefit from those synergies...

I suppose Hyundai/Kia is in the same situation of having no luxury brand but... Well you know.

So am I missing anyone or is there going to be no one interested?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:57 PM

Ford should sell jag, keep land rover and buy Stock in VW with the profits from selling Jaguar. mmmMmm Diesels...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:43 PM

Its should be

Lincoln = Acura
Jaguar = Mercedes
Old 08-11-2006, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Its should be

Lincoln = Acura
Jaguar = Mercedes
Even with Jaguar at the top of the Ford totem pole Acura is a lame target for Lincoln. The personalities couldnt be more different Lincoln being more about large decadent luxury and Acura about what can euphemistically be sporty entry luxury.

Ignore that and you've still got the issue that Acura has little presence in the luxury market and is on par with Infinit and a step below lexus, two or three below BMW or mercedes.

Sending Lincoln after the Japs is a mistake, and it should be obvious considering they've got a brand that already fits the image and price point to do. Mercury, yet somehow they feel its better to make the Fords dowdy and the Mercs plain, then to build some space into the lineup.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM

Really, Lexus is probably more like Lincoln that any of they other luxury marks. That said, Lincoln should just be Lincoln. But they need some money to actually bring out new models once in a while.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 PM

I think the reason ford is selling land rover with jaguar is b/c no one wants to straight up buy jaguar, so theyre really buying land rover and getting fords headaches along with the deal (jaguar).
Old 08-12-2006, 02:23 PM

Sorry to jump in late, but I can't fathom why Jaguar isn't a profitable brand. I realize that their sales aren't to hot, but there has to be huge margins on their vehicles. Also by itself it may not be profitable, but when you consider that the vast majority of engineering and design for aston martin is Jaguar stuff, the two marquees when looked at collectively have to be profitable.