Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ford lays off 900 workers at Mustang/Mazda6 plant

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM

Ford lays off 900 workers at Mustang/Mazda6 plant

http://www.newser.com/article/d9dtel...ang-plant.html

Ford will reduce shifts from two to one in July at the AutoAlliance International plant in Flat Rock, Michigan. The plant, which is jointly owned with Mazda Motor Corp., also makes the Mazda6 midsize sedan.

The plant employs nearly 2,300 people. Most of the layoffs will be hourly manufacturing workers, but some salaried staff also will be cut, Ford spokeswoman Marcey Evans said.

Evans said there was significant down time at the plant last year and Ford can get the volume it needs from one shift. Mustang sales fell 27 percent last year, in part because of competition from the Camaro, which went on sale in the spring and came within 5,000 cars of outselling the Mustang. The Camaro hasn't outsold the Mustang since 1985. Mazda6 sales were down 34 percent.

Evans says a majority of the workers will be offered positions at other plants. Ford said last month it will hire 1,200 workers at its Chicago Assembly Plant to build the new Ford Explorer. Explorer production will start at the end of this year. Ford also recently announced a plan to create 1,000 jobs in Michigan to make electric car batteries. Evans said the company also needs workers at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Michigan, which is scheduled to begin producing the new Ford Focus later this year.

Ford currently has around 600 workers on indefinite layoff in the U.S. Those workers and the ones to be laid off at Flat Rock will have the first opportunity to take jobs at facilities that are hiring. The company has been trying to thin the ranks of hourly workers, most recently offering buyout packages to all 41,000 U.S. hourly workers in December. Around 1,000 workers took similar buyout offers last year.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Its the Mazda 6 sales disaster, that is the problem.

Plus, there is a bit of a glut of Pony/muscle cars these days.

If anyone needs a new Camaro, my tiny local dealership has 4 (they stock about 20 vehicles total)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal

Plus, there is a bit of a glut of Pony/muscle cars these days.

If anyone needs a new Camaro, my tiny local dealership has 4 (they stock about 20 vehicles total)
I think you missed this part:

Mustang sales fell 27 percent last year, in part because of competition from the Camaro, which went on sale in the spring and came within 5,000 cars of outselling the Mustang.
I like that last part about the Camaros at your local dealership, your jabs are so subtle! Let me guess, the local Ford Dealer has no Mustangs in stock either?

Last edited by super83Z; 02-16-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Ford seems to have their workforce well alighned for their needs. But this isn't saying much about Ford's expectations for the once again updated 2011 Mustang thats about to go Job 1. The 2010 MY was one of the worst ever for the Mustang and if they are saying they can meet demand with one line in July then they don't think this MY will be any better.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by super83Z
I think you missed this part:

I like that last part about the Camaros at your local dealership, your jabs are so subtle! Let me guess, the local Ford Dealer has no Mustangs in stock either?
Yeah, I notice those too. I still like what she brings to the board though. Just play devils advocate and keep the pom poms down. Not everyone on here hates Ford. You're amongst friends.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 AM

Mustang needs a major update pretty quick - especially with the new competition (primarily from Camaro). The 5.0 has gotten me interested in it again (first time I've given serious thought to a Mustang GT in a very, very long time), but I don't think the new V8 nor the 3.7 V6 will lure too many potential Camaro/Challenger buyers over to Ford.

Could easily be wrong, but that's my sense.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
They really messed it up. When the first 6 came out in 2003, it was a gorgeous car, especially the GT model with ground effects. It had very good proportions, and had style (unlike the Accord and the Camry). It wasn't the fastest of the 3, nor was it the most fuel efficient, but it certainly made its impact.

Fast forward to current-gen 6... and while it has an impressive interior, the exterior styling is just... well, sort of weird and amiss.

The front treatment (borrowed from RX-8) doesn't go with the rest of the car, and the greenhouse is narrowed way too much at the top. Just looking at the car from the front or the rear, and the narrow greenhouse doesn't match the wider body.

Anyway...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Mustang needs a major update pretty quick
A good exterior treatment would be nice. Put it on a design diet to lose that rear end.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM

Ya, the rear of that thing is.....well....hideous, IMHO.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 AM

I think the new 5.0 is going to be a big hit. It's actually got me interested in the Mustang again, including the updates on the 2011 GT500. I think a lot of Mustang buyers were holding off because they new this motor was coming down the pipeline. The new 5.0 on paper looks to be a big problem for the Camaro plus a few hundred pounds less weight to push around, over 7k rpm limit and the ability to see out of the car, might have to give it a look.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

On another board, we were discussing the glut of 2-door sporty coupes, on the market. It is not a large market, and it now has 3 players. Plus, when the economy isn't great, impractical cars do not sell as well. Of course the Camaro, due to a 7 year absence, would buck the trend............ as it should.

I pointed out the 4 Camaro's as an illustration of the increased stock of these cars also. We all know that the 2010 Mustang hasn't sold particularly well, thus, that is not news.

Why, is a bigger discussion than soundbites such as "everyone is buying a Camaro," and "I don't think the styling is all that good." I worry about the segment as a whole, due to the economy, which is pretty stagnant, high unemployment, and their impracticality............. that is all.

As for the Mazda 6, Ford probably wanted to cut to 1 shift earlier, but thought that sales of the new 6 would keep 2 lines profitable. It is logical to expect the newly redesigned car to do well. However, while not ugly, it is not as nice looking as it originally was................ and frankly, I don't know if anyone but Mazda fans know about it. I can't remember the last ad I saw for one, be it on TV or internet, or in print. Mazda is pushing 3's REAL hard, however.

Unlike others, while I do expect the new engines will help the Mustang, I don't expect a large increase in sales, due to the reasons I pointed out above.

I should have explained things better in my original post, but was extremely tired. Note to self, do not post when you can barely hold your head up.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 PM

I think the new 5.0 will help the Mustang in some markets...particularly the enthusiast crowd. I'd say that many were holding out for this year's model for that reason alone.

However, I agree with what others have stated...I don't foresee a huge jump in sales.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
Fast forward to current-gen 6... and while it has an impressive interior, the exterior styling is just... well, sort of weird and amiss.

The front treatment (borrowed from RX-8) doesn't go with the rest of the car, and the greenhouse is narrowed way too much at the top. Just looking at the car from the front or the rear, and the narrow greenhouse doesn't match the wider body.

Anyway...
I agree that something is just off with the 6. From some angles I really like it but from others I think, who signed off on that?!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 PM

the fusion on the other hand is a WIN!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM

I really hope the market can continue to support 3 domestic performance coupes. Competition improves the breed. I want all three to kickass.

Quick Reply: Ford lays off 900 workers at Mustang/Mazda6 plant