Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ford announces new 250hp 3.5L V6 and Six-speed Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:57 PM

Ford announces new 250hp 3.5L V6 and Six-speed Automatic

* New 250 hp 3.5-liter V-6 key to Ford’s future, powering one in five of the company’s North American products by the end of the decade
* New engine offers better performance, fuel economy and emissions
* New V-6 debuts next year on the Ford Edge and Lincoln Aviator crossover utility vehicles
* Mated to new 6-speed automatic for up to a 7 percent improvement in highway fuel economy
* Engine designed with the future in mind – capable of super-clean PZEV emissions, hybrids, direct-injection and turbocharging

DEARBORN, Mich. Nov. 9, 2005 – Ford today unveiled its new 3.5-liter V-6 engine, a more powerful and cleaner engine that eventually will be under the hood of one in five Ford products in North America, including the new Ford Edge and Lincoln Aviator crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) debuting next year.

“Our new 3.5-liter V-6 is a key component in Ford’s global powertrain strategy, which is to provide what customers want, when they want it,” says Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of Powertrain Operations. “This powertrain is an innovative solution to answering the call for better fuel efficiency, more refinement, more power and clean emissions, without any sacrifices.”

The new engine will be mated to a new 6-speed automatic transaxle in the Ford Edge and Lincoln Aviator. The combination will deliver improved fuel economy of up to 7 percent and improved sustained acceleration compared with a typical 4-speed automatic.

Power in a Compact, Modern Package
Ford’s new V-6 produces 250 horsepower and 240 pound-feet of torque with a 3.5-liter displacement unit with a height and width that is the same as Ford’s smaller Duratec 30 V-6. This enables Ford to install the engine in a wide variety of current and future products.

In developing the new engine, Ford engineers targeted excellent performance, fuel economy and low exhaust emissions. In addition, engineers designed the engine to work together in harmony with Ford’s new 6F 6-speed automatic. By analyzing the transaxle and engine together, noise, vibration and harshness characteristics of the powertrain were optimized to ensure a quiet, trouble-free driving experience.

The all-new 3.5-liter V-6 architecture provides significant flexibility to incorporate additional engine technologies. The 3.5-liter engineering team included extra provisions to make upgrades relatively simple. These upgrades include such potential features as hybrid capability, gasoline direct injection and direct-injection turbo charging.

A Solid Foundation – Durability and NVH
Every world-class engine starts with a solid foundation. To optimize the base engine structure to provide outstanding durability and NVH, the lower-end design of the 3.5-liter engine features a forged-steel, fully counterweighted crankshaft with induction-hardened journals, fractured-split, powder metal-forged connecting rods and high-temperature alloy, cast aluminum pistons. These components are housed in a High Pressure Diecast (HPDC) aluminum cylinder block featuring six-bolt mains with cast in cast-over iron liners.

The engine’s cylinder block design represents the first application of a high-pressure die-cast block for a V-configuration engine for Ford Motor Company. Ford chose HPDC over more conventional semi-permanent and sand casting processes because:

* Reduced raw material requirements (lower weight than if designed for conventional sand casting)
* Tighter casting process control capability
* Better and more consistent casting qualities
* Elimination of reliance on casting processes that have byproducts requiring strict environmental controls
* Reduction of expensive post-casting processing (cleaning, heat treating, machining and assembly) requirements

Ford deployed extensive CAE modeling to reduce lead-time, optimize die design and simulate critical process parameters to help ensure a consistent, robust casting.

High Airflow, Optimized Combustion – Performance, Fuel Economy and Emissions

The 3.5-liter V-6’s upper-end was designed as a system, all the way from the throttle body to the exhaust manifolds, to create the optimum flow for peak power and a broad torque curve. CAE analysis was used to fine-tune each component to deliver the required airflow without the need for intake flaps or butterfly valves in the system. Advanced throttle-control software enables precise tuning of engine response to fit the character of each vehicle application while setting the engine to run at its peak efficiency for optimal fuel economy.

The 3.5-liter V-6 uses a compact, lightweight dual-overhead cam valvetrain for peak power capability and smooth operation at high RPMs. The engine also incorporates intake variable cam timing (iVCT) to optimize valve timing for a smooth idle, optimal part-load driving and an impressively broad torque curve with good power. The iVCT system uses a hydraulically actuated spool valve that can rotate the intake camshafts up to 40 degrees within a half-second. A low-friction, roller-chain cam drive contributes to fuel efficiency.

Optimized Cylinder Head Produced with Flexible Machining
The aluminum cylinder heads in Ford’s new V-6 are designed for high airflow and optimized combustion to support performance, fuel economy and low emissions. CAE was used extensively to develop the airflow and combustion system performance for this cylinder head design. This efficient combustion is enhanced by incorporating a centrally located spark plug and a high 10.3:1 compression ratio. The cylinder heads also were designed to accommodate fuel-efficient technology upgrades such as gasoline direct injection.

Low Emissions Capability
Ford’s new 3.5-liter engine is PZEV capable right out of the box. Careful design consideration for the combustion system and catalysts create an engine that can meet stringent emissions standards without the need for expensive add-on technology.

“The 3.5-liter V-6 is capable of achieving PZEV certification by delivering low cold-start emissions and enabling rapid catalyst light-off, which is a significant accomplishment for a larger displacement V-6 engine,” says Tom McCarthy, engine systems manager for the 3.5-liter V-6 engine program. This is accomplished with low heat-loss exhaust manifolds and close-coupled catalysts for fast light off during cold start. Optimized fuel injector targeting minimizes cold-start emissions before the catalysts reach operating temperature.

ENGINE SPECS

Type 3.5L DOHC 24-valve V-6

Manufacturing Location Lima Engine Plant, Ohio

Configuration 60-degree V-6, aluminum block and heads

Intake Manifold Composite, slit plenum

Exhaust Manifold Cast iron

Crankshaft Forged steel

Redline 6700 rpm

Throttle Body 65mm, electronic

Valvetrain DAMB, 4 valves per cylinder, intake variable camshaft timing

Valve Diameter Intake: 37mm Exhaust: 31 mm

Pistons High temperature cast aluminum alloy with low-friction coated skirts, low-tension rings

Connecting Rods Cracked-powder metal

Ignition Pencil coil

Bore x Stroke 3.6 x 3.4 in/92.5 x 86.7 mm

Displacement 213 cu in/3.496 cc

Compression Ratio 10:03:01

Horsepower 250 @ 6250 rpm (estimated)

Horsepower per Liter 71.5 (estimated)

Torque 240 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm (estimated)

Recommended Fuel 87 Octane

Fuel Capacity 20 gallons

Fuel Injection Sequential multiport fuel injection

Oil Capacity 5.5 quarts, with filter

Recommended Oil GF4, 5W-20

Source: Ford and Autoblog
Pics

Old 11-09-2005, 01:09 PM

Re: Ford announces new 250hp 3.5L V6 and Six-speed Automatic

Lack of a decent V6 motor and FWD auto trans has been Ford weakest link compared to the competition for over a decade now IMO... looks like they're trying to do something about it finally.

Wonder what the durability will be on these motors and trans starting out? I wouldn't wanna be one of the first people to pay to find out.

With that power rating, though, looks like they're satisfied with playing "just enough" instead of "leading the pack"
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
With that power rating, though, looks like they're satisfied with playing "just enough" instead of "leading the pack"
This is supposed to be the base v6 motor used throughout their majority of their car lineup so i can't blame them for not going crazy on the hp. Note also that it is tuned to run on 87 octane. I believe the Nissan VQ requires premium. The Nissan Altima 3.5 which makes the same power requires 91 octane.

So Ford went more for fuel efficiency than all-out power it seems.

They did say that the engine is flexible and certain provisions were built into it to make it upgrade friendly down the line and so we just might see more powerful versions in the form of "hybrids, gasoline direct injection, and turbocharging" according to Ford.

Overall, a pretty nice motor from the looks of it.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
I believe the Nissan VQ requires premium. The Nissan Altima 3.5 which makes the same power requires 91 octane.

Actually, this is what it says: Use regular unleaded fuel with 87 octane. For maximum power, use premium fuel. I am wondering what the HP loss is by going down to regular - I guess around 10.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
Actually, this is what it says: Use regular unleaded fuel with 87 octane. For maximum power, use premium fuel. I am wondering what the HP loss is by going down to regular - I guess around 10.
So premium 91 octane fuel is still recommended to get the 250hp in the Altima? basically what i was getting at.

Drop-off probably isn't too much. Atleast i would hope so. 10hp max maybe??
Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 PM

I wonder if this will end up in the Mustang too. That would be cool if the Camaro got the 6L80E in response . I would love to see a 3.6L with 6spd auto base Camaro . Of course I would want a LS2/6spd auto Camaro, preferably with a paddle shift option (my girl can't drive stick).

Glad to see Ford is finally starting to compete with GM's engines again .

David
Old 11-09-2005, 01:46 PM

New FWD 6 spd auto. This is the one they worked together with GM to build.

Designed in conjunction with Ford’s new 3.5L V6 mentioned earlier, the new 6F automatic transmission is the first tangible result of collaboration between General Motors and Ford on six-speed transmissions. The 6F was designed specifically for front-wheel drive applications, as Ford has already introduced a 6R automatic tranny in the redesigned Explorer and Mountaineer for rear-wheel drive applications. In addition to being used with the new 3.5L V6 in the Lincoln Aviator and Ford Edge, a version of the 6F with GM’s own unique controls and calibrations will likely be used by that company in the new Saturn Aura, as well. The new six-speed will deliver up to a 7 percent improvement in fuel economy compared with typical four-speed autos, mainly due to its taller final gear. The six gears have a range in ratio of 6.04 from 4.48:1 in first to .74:1 in overdrive. Ford estimates the transmission would save the equivalent of two fill ups at the gas station every year for the average driver.

6F SPECS
TRANSMISSION
Type 6-Speed Automatic
Gear Ratios
1st 4.484:1
2nd 2.872:1
3rd 1.842:1
4th 1.414:1
5th 1.000:1
6th 0.742:1
REV 00034

Source: Autoblog
Pics of tranny

Last edited by Gold_Rush; 11-09-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Diognes56
I wonder if this will end up in the Mustang too. That would be cool if the Camaro got the 6L80E in response . I would love to see a 3.6L with 6spd auto base Camaro . Of course I would want a LS2/6spd auto Camaro, preferably with a paddle shift option (my girl can't drive stick).

Glad to see Ford is finally starting to compete with GM's engines again .

David
I don't like the 4.0L Sohc. I'm sure it's a decent performing motor, but i just don't think it should be used in a car application. Imo, it will always be more of a truck motor.

I would like to see this 3.5L find its way into mustang and there might be a possibility but i seriously DOUBT we'll see the 255hp 3.6L Dohc in the camaro though.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:26 PM

Wow, that tranny looks remarkably like the GM Powertrain developed transverse six speed auto...

Old 11-09-2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Wow, that tranny looks remarkably like the GM Powertrain developed transverse six speed auto...

Same co-developed unit.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Same co-developed unit.
Yeah, but "co-developed" does not necessarily imply a 50-50 split on the design input.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Yeah, but "co-developed" does not necessarily imply a 50-50 split on the design input.

Details would be appreciated . What's the actual split? Wouldn't be surprised if split favored GM since they've historically made the better auto tranny's.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:52 PM

Actual split? I dunno. I'm mostly just "funnin'." But I'm pretty sure the basic geartrain layout and case were done by GM.

Not certain, but I remember hearing that. Of course, that was coming from other GM people, so there may be some bias there.

I'm fairly sure I saw vehicles running with early prototypes of that tranny (looking much like it does now) before the joint development venture was ever announced.

Anyway, I'm happy for both companies that they will have a good six speed auto, and it was developed here (not purchased from ZF or Aisin or whomever).

Old 11-09-2005, 02:52 PM

Man that 3.5 looks WAY smaller than my 3.4 DOHC. I do see 1 thing I don't like: intake manifold over a head. It makes it a pain to change plugs, ask me how I know.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM

GM says powerful OHC V6s (aka the 3.6) are too expensive for bread-and-butter cars.

Ford plans to put DOHC V6s in one out of every 5 car and truck it sells.

I don't mind the new 3.9, it is just quickly becoming apparent that it would be short on power in its current state should it become the base motor in the next Camaro.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 11-09-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford announces new 250hp 3.5L V6 and Six-speed Automatic