Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

First Test: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 AM

There was a time long ago, boys and girls, when all telephones had cords, music could be purchased only on cumbersome black discs, and cigarettes were advertised on TV as a digestive aid. Back in those blurry, black-and-white days, well-off professional Americans in the prime of their careers aspired to own Buicks. The brand became known as "the doctor's car," because it provided most of the creature comforts, quiet performance, and gravitas of a glitzy Cadillac without causing patients or clients to question their house-call charges. Today we have earpiece phones, Napster, and the Surgeon General's Warning, but most Buick customers are still old enough to remember those "More doctors smoke Camels" testimonials from 1949 and the scrubs set now buys its low-profile luxury from Lexus.

Might this car lure them back to Buick? Clearly the 2010 LaCrosse has been aimed squarely at the front-drive Lexus ES 350. The Buick's basic profile and proportioning ape the Lexus, though it's 5.9 inches longer, 1.4 inch wider, and 2.1 inches taller, with most of the extra space benefiting rear-seat passengers. The body sculpting and chrome flourishes are much more expressive than the ES 350's, especially the crisp bow-wake shoulder line and concave lower "light catcher."

Rear windows afford good visibility despite arching roofline. Chrome flourishes over the taillamps are meant to resemble calligraphy brush strokes.
If the exterior entices, the interior could seal the deal. Designed in China, where yuppies already revere Buicks, its vaguely Asian aesthetic of curves and arcs decorated with double-seam stitching and relatively convincing faux wood has a soothing effect-especially at night, when it's all accented in ice-blue ambient lighting. Shut the doors, roll up the acoustic glass (front) and extra thick (5mm rear) windows, and it's like the dome of silence has descended, providing meditation-garden levels of tranquility.

Better still: The tranquil mood never morphs to open rage when attempting to program the nav system, pair a Bluetooth phone, or access the myriad other vehicle features. In fact, on my first night home with the car I sat in the driveway for ages programming the car to avoid all my pet peeves (driver-only unlock, automatic locking, horn chirp on lock, etc.), and did it all without cracking the owner's manual. It felt a lot like the first day home with a new toy from the Apple store. Everything's easily controlled by the eight-inch touch screen, but fingerprintphobes can use the rotary **** and buttons instead and once everything's programmed, many of the features can also be accessed via voice command.
Continue...
Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Pretty positive review overall. I'm optimistic about this car. Seems like it hits most of the benchmarks, but it sounds like it could use to lose a few pounds like most other current GM products. Nonetheless, to have one of the mainstream U.S. car rags give the LaCrosse such positive marks out of the gate is definitely a step in the right direction.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM

http://jalopnik.com/5314666/2010-bui...se-first-drive

Another review, not as positive.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Has Jalopnik ever praised a GM vehicle? It feels like their disdain for Buick's existence might be hurting the car's review.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:32 PM

It appears to be a solid product from Buick, much like the Enclave. If Buick can continue down this path, their future might look rosy after all.

More models to come:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-2011-a-81865/
Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Has Jalopnik ever praised a GM vehicle? It feels like their disdain for Buick's existence might be hurting the car's review.
I agree about their opinion of Buick, but they wet their pants over the G8...415 hp helps though.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Well they did describe the Camaro's steering as 'numb' which I've never read anywhere else ...

So ignore most of the subjective stuff until you've had a chance to experience the car for yourself.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Autoblog test...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/16/f...life-into-old/
Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM

I am really liking this car.... my only hangup is the AWD only being offered on the mid-level trim.

If I read the specs right, the AWD is only going to be avaiable on the 3.0, in CXL trim, and not with the 3.6 at all.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Reading the Autoblog review, I had to chuckle when he talked about the "low roofline."

He clearly was fooled by the visual effect of raising the beltline up to my armpits...

Then he is amazed that this car is actually 2" TALLER than the old one. To me, it easily looks taller than the previous model. I don't see the gunslit windows as a "low roofline." I see them as the result of a high beltline (absurdly high, IMO, as on many new cars), which is in fact the case. I hope this trend begins to reverse itself soon...

I do like the overall look of the car, but not that aspect of it. The dash appears to be a knockout, however.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM

I sat in one at a golf tournament recently, and I was VERY impressed on the inside. Car looks very stylish as well, this is probably the only current Buick I'd like to drive.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 PM

I like the car as well. It could use a lowering kit but overall I think it offers quite a bit for the price. This car will only help Buick as it's sales worthy to a much larger group than the previous generation was...
Old 07-16-2009, 01:59 PM

I really like this car too. It's performance specs scream 1980's - but I don't suppose that's what it's focus is.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 PM

Another...

http://www.motorauthority.com/first-...-lacrosse.html
We got the chance to take the new LaCrosse for a spin at a GM press event in Detroit this week, and we can tell you in all seriousness: this is a really, really good car. It's not a hot-dog performer or an all-out technological luxury onslaught, but it does combine mid-size powertrains and pricing with large-sedan size and comfort, all with a healthy dose of style and luxury.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:06 PM

The big question is can this arguably more attractive and similarly equipped but cheaper Buick get a Lexus ES customer interested enough to stop into the showroom???

Quick Reply: First Test: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS