Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

First concept drawings of Bricklin's Chinese-made Visionary Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:55 PM

First concept drawings of Bricklin's Chinese-made Visionary Vehicles

Not to bad if the final vehicles look anything like the sketches. I wonder if VW will have a problem with Bricklin if he uses the 'VV' as his emblem. On the otherhand Hyundai hasn't had a problem with Honda with putting a big "H" on their cars.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/...ers/#more-1350

Visionary Vehicles outlines plan to undercut luxury carmakers

Visionary Vehicles — the U.S. wing of the Chinese automaker also known as Chery — has released sketches of its forthcoming crossover and sedan. VV is being imported to North America by U.S. businessman Malcolm Bricklin. Recently, Bricklin said his company had changed its plan from importing ultra-low-cost vehicles, to instead offering Chinese luxury cars at prices much lower than their Japanese and European competitors. The vehicles will include: a four-door sedan aimed at the Audi A4, Mercedes C320, and Volvo S60, for a price of $19,000; A two-door coupe aimed at the Mercedes CLK 320 and BMW 330Ci for $25,000; A SUV aimed at the BMW X3, MB M320, and Lexus RX330 for $19,000; A crossover with a V6 engine for $19,000, and a retractable hardtop convertible (shown in April) designed with Pininfarina aimed at the Mercedes SLK (which starts at $47,000) for $19,000. Photos after the jump…

Last edited by johnsocal; 01-13-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:24 AM

Re: First concept drawings of Bricklin's Chinese-made Visionary Vehicles

Looks very Mitsu like in the front grill.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:58 AM

Hmmm. If they can really pull this off, provide great styling, good quality and a price like is mentioned. I believe many an auto maker will have problems. Do not underestimate the Chinese. We did that with Japan and see what happened.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:11 AM

They don't look very distinct as I can see a lot of other automakers designs in there, but, they don't look bad or goofy like the Korean vehicles, especially when they first came out.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:53 AM

The car looks like a combination of an audi, mitsu, and a G6 to me. Very G6 like tail lights.

The SUV looks like another one from another manufacturer that I can't quite place at the moment.

None of that is surprising as Chery has been sued on a few occasions for making deliberate knock offs of others work in China.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:06 AM

I am interested in hearing engine specifications such as fuel mileage and power produced, as well as weight of the vehicles.

I think the designs look great, and I hope the production versions look as close as possible.

Hyundai's minivan, Sedona (I think) turned out to be quite a porker. Daewoo sells its cars under Chevy brand here in Canada, but their engines have poor fuel economy with modest output.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz
The car looks like a combination of an audi, mitsu, and a G6 to me. Very G6 like tail lights.

The SUV looks like another one from another manufacturer that I can't quite place at the moment.

None of that is surprising as Chery has been sued on a few occasions for making deliberate knock offs of others work in China.

All cars are copies of other cars nowadays as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:11 AM

Sorry Mr. Bricklin, but I hope your little venture fails miserably.

Competition improves the breed, sure. But there is no shortage of competition in today's auto market.

And I don't think the Chinese play fair (e.g. copying a car almost to a "t" and calling it "Chery" instead of "Chevy"). Of course, GM and all the other automakers building plants there (necessary to build vehicles to sell in that market, and it's becoming an important market to be in) are just helping them along by showing them how it is done. Great.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:24 AM

Those are nice 'drawings'. Notice the VV on the license plate? A quick glance and you could mistake it for VW....coincidence?

I hope they fail miserably.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

Me too.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:42 AM

Knowing the American buying public, they will sell and sell well.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Sorry Mr. Bricklin, but I hope your little venture fails miserably.

Competition improves the breed, sure. But there is no shortage of competition in today's auto market.

And I don't think the Chinese play fair (e.g. copying a car almost to a "t" and calling it "Chery" instead of "Chevy"). Of course, GM and all the other automakers building plants there (necessary to build vehicles to sell in that market, and it's becoming an important market to be in) are just helping them along by showing them how it is done. Great.
Originally Posted by Z284ever
Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Me too.
Do I sense a pattern here?

Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Do I sense a pattern here?

i'm with you guys

all i see in those drawings are a Passat and a Montero.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
All cars are copies of other cars nowadays as far as I'm concerned.
True to an extent however there is a difference between copying certain traits and copying entire exteriors.

Chevy sued Chery recently for a direct copy of one of their small cars they sell in china. It was lick for lick identical on the interior and exterior. Another Chinese car company I remember copied a Jeep Grand Cherokee sheet metal item for sheetmetal item.

Also I found a link a while back a "Chinese Hummer" It was a direct carbon copy of the H1 Military Hummer except for the grill and the company badge on it. The chinese car companies show a tendancy not to copy certain traits, but rather copy an entire car.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz
The chinese car companies show a tendancy not to copy certain traits, but rather copy an entire car.
True, they dont have to spend the money for the expensive R&D when they can just remove each component and copy it. Not only does this help make their product cheaper because they don't have to spend money and R & D but it also teaches them our manufacturing and engineering techniques.

Eventually they (Chinese) will start creating their own uniquely styled vehicles like Japan does today, but in the process they will undermine the industry with an unfair cost advantage. Their unfair advantage has alot to do with their artificially deflated currency, cheap slave-like labor, government subsidized corporations, and etc.

Quick Reply: First concept drawings of Bricklin's Chinese-made Visionary Vehicles