Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

First Batch of Chevy Volts Heads for Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Re: First Batch of Chevy Volts Heads for Dealerships

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
I don't agree with that at all. City and urban is the main target. Crowded cities and short commutes.
All mostly people who have to park on the street or in a parking garage.
I always wondered how they were going to charge their car.

For anyone who has to use it as a regualar car what's the point? It doesn't get as good a MPG as the prius and costs way more? Tell me why you'd buy it if you can't plug it in?
I live in a small town (Brownsburg) outside of Indianapolis. I own a home with a 2.5 car garage.

My commute is about 13 miles each way, about 8-9 of it on the highway. I could plug in a Volt each night, drive to work, run some errands after work, and drive home, and likely use little to no gasoline. I am not an "urban" or apartment dweller, and I could very much take advantage of the Volt's strengths.

I'd say that is just about exactly the idea behind the Volt. It wasn't intended to only be used by people in the city who have 2 mile drives. Why give it a 25-50 mile range if that was the goal?

I could burn next to no gasoline during the week, then head to Ohio to visit my brother and his wife for a weekend or whatever.

Obviously, if one has no means to plug in the car whatsoever, a plug-in hybrid would not be the best option.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM

Ok, you going to buy one? If not it makes everything you said irrelevant. Lot's of people talk, but GM needs people who will buy.
No, I'm not. And no, that doesn't make it irrelevant. You said the target market is people who live in urban areas. I stated otherwise. Whether or not I'm looking to buy one has jack to do with that discussion. I'm not looking to buy any new car right now. Plus, I'm not one to be a first adopter of a big new thing. Doesn't mean they didn't intend for the car to be used by people with a commute like mine.
My current impala gets 30mpg so if i bought a volt I'd be out $32000
but instead of paying $9.30(@2.79/gal) every day in gas I'd be paying $6.21+ $1.38 cost of electric=$7.59. I'd save $1.71 a day while making a huge car payment. I'll admit I won't be buying one.
Good for you.
So I still have to say your target market is urban area's like california where the 'green' people live. Because lets be honest the math isn't there, you buy the car to be green or for the perception you are green. Which means a big part of your market is convincing current prius owners to buy a volt next time. And what happens when Toyota adds an extension cord?
OK.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Aaron91RS is a thread ruiner
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I live in a small town (Brownsburg) outside of Indianapolis. I own a home with a 2.5 car garage.

My commute is about 13 miles each way, about 8-9 of it on the highway. I could plug in a Volt each night, drive to work, run some errands after work, and drive home, and likely use little to no gasoline. I am not an "urban" or apartment dweller, and I could very much take advantage of the Volt's strengths.

I'd say that is just about exactly the idea behind the Volt. It wasn't intended to only be used by people in the city who have 2 mile drives. Why give it a 25-50 mile range if that was the goal?

I could burn next to no gasoline during the week, then head to Ohio to visit my brother and his wife for a weekend or whatever.

Obviously, if one has no means to plug in the car whatsoever, a plug-in hybrid would not be the best option.
I completely agree, and I have a similar situation (with a slightly shorter commute).

The next time I'm in the market for a new car, I will very seriously consider a Volt. That's likely to be 2-4 years from now, so I won't be one of the early adopters.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM

And what happens when Toyota adds an extension cord?
Well apparently by your logic, city dwellers will stop buying it.

Your argument is electric cars don't make sense if you can't plug them in. I agree. I would also agree that it doesn't make sense to buy a motorcycle if you need to transport a family of 5 and can only afford one vehicle. How many people buy boats that don't have access to waterways? How many people buy tractors that don't have farms or a lot of land to maintain? How many people buy bullets but don't own a gun?

The Volt is a car that you can run on electricity to help save money and minimize impact on the environment, but it also allows you to drive as far as you want even after your battery is depleted by burning gas.

If that doesn't suit your needs/wants, GM also offers a full line of other vehicles...so take your pick! No one ever said it was a one size fits all car. No car is.

What people have to realize is; if you drive 50 miles per day and only use gas for the last 10 miles, it doesn't matter if you get 30mpg in the last 10 miles, you've still used much less gas than a car that gets 50MPG and drives for 50 miles. My Cobalt gets 4MPG when I floor it, but somehow I manage to go 300 miles on a tank. Instananeous MPG doesn't always add up to average MPG, which is what hits your wallet.

Last edited by Koz2; 12-21-2010 at 11:19 AM.