Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

First all-electric Coda sedan rolls off assembly line in Benicia (California)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM

First all-electric Coda sedan rolls off assembly line in Benicia (California)

Its assembled less than 10 mi from me and I had completely forgotten about this car...

http://www.insidebayarea.com/busines...s-off-assembly
First all-electric Coda sedan rolls off assembly line in Benicia

By Dana Hull

BENICIA -- The first all-electric Coda sedan rolled off the assembly line here Monday, marking a big day for the privately held company and the city.

Coda, which is based in Los Angeles, manufactures most of the vehicle's battery system and body in China, thanks to a joint venture with Chinese battery maker Lishen. The parts are then shipped to the port city of Benicia for final assembly and safety and quality inspection at the Amports facility here.

Benicia Mayor Elizabeth Patterson, Solano County officials, plant workers and Coda executives applauded as the first sedan slowly rolled out of the plant and before a bank of cameras at a press event Monday.

"Coda started five years ago in an airport hangar in Southern California," said Mac Heller, the company's executive chairman. "We shared a conviction that with technology and science, we could create cars that do not spoil the Earth, drain the treasury or hurt the health of our children."

The company, which sees California as its primary initial market, has applied for a federal loan through the Department of Energy's Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing, or ATVM, program. But its application has been pending for nearly two years, and Coda went forward without any financing from the government.

Coda has 300 employees worldwide and about 25 at the plant in Benicia, a figure that is expected to grow as manufacturing ramps up.

The company has not said how many cars it plans to manufacture in 2012 but the number is expected to be low -- 5,000 units or less.

The four-door sedan sells for $37,250 but qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit and $2,500 state rebate, making it significantly cheaper than a Chevy Volt or the forthcoming Model S sedan from Tesla Motors (TSLA). Coda's battery comes with a 10-year, 100,000-mile warranty and an EPA-certified range of 88 miles per charge. Coda says the car can travel up to 125 miles per charge in optimal driving conditions.

Coda Silicon Valley will open on Stevens Creek Boulevard in San Jose on Friday, the same day three California residents, including one from Redwood City, are expected to take ownership of their Codas.

The company plans to open a Coda "Experience Center," a store and showroom where consumers can learn more about electric vehicles, at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto in the spring. It expects to roll out the vehicle nationwide before tackling markets in Europe and eventually China.

Coda's entrance into the electric vehicle market comes amid rising gas prices but also amid concerns about the viability of some high-profile competitors.

The Fisker Karma suffered a black eye last week when Consumer Reports announced that a $107,850 Karma broke down during testing and had to be hauled away in a flatbed tow truck.

"We buy about 80 cars a year and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is undriveable before it has finished our check-in process," Consumer Reports reported Thursday.

GM's Chevy Volt has also suffered from slower-than-expected sales, which is one reason why Coda declined to discuss production volume or number of reservations.

"If our competitors aren't doing well, it hurts us," said Thomas Hausch, Coda's senior vice president of sales and marketing. "It threatens the confidence of the nonexpert consumer."

Hausch said the EV market is divided roughly into four consumer segments: geeks, greens, gloaters and grazers.

Geeks are early adopters who love electric vehicle technology, while greens are environmentally aware consumers who want to reduce their carbon footprint.

Gloaters are vehicle enthusiasts who care a lot about design, and grazers are cost-conscious people who count every penny spent on gas, smog checks and oil changes, costs that the Coda comes without.

Contact Dana Hull at 408-920-2706. Follow her at Twitter.com/danahull.

The all-electric Coda sedan

Seats: Five
Range: EPA certified: 88 miles
Price: $37,250; qualifies for
$7,500 federal tax credit and $2,500 state rebate

Source: CODA Electric Vehicle, Electric Cars, Zero Emissions EV Car, Electric Vehicles | CODA Automotive
I don't know about you guys, but I'm luke warm at best considering its made in China and doesn't seem to have solid financial backing.

But I'm definitely rooting for them!

Last edited by jg95z28; 03-13-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Re: First all-electric Coda sedan rolls off assembly line in Benicia (California)

actually looks pretty good for an electric car. now if only i could afford one haha.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Re: First all-electric Coda sedan rolls off assembly line in Benicia (California)

Originally Posted by greenformula94
actually looks pretty good for an electric car.
That's what I thought as well. It looks like every other vanilla small sedan on the market... and that's a good thing!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Its assembled less than 10 mi from me and I had completely forgotten about this car...

First all-electric Coda sedan rolls off assembly line in Benicia - Inside Bay Area

I don't know about you guys, but I'm luke warm at best considering its made in China and doesn't seem to have solid financial backing.

But I'm definitely rooting for them!
Kind of how I feel. After rebates it looks like you could buy one for below $30k. Its funny, Ca. gives a $2500.00 tax credit but takes it all back in salestax.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Kind of how I feel. After rebates it looks like you could buy one for below $30k. Its funny, Ca. gives a $2500.00 tax credit but takes it all back in salestax.
Well.... I guess like every other item sold, they could simply charge a sales tax (not just done in California, but in every state in the US) and keep the money perhaps?

Seriously though, I doubt Coda will take off even with the tax rebate. I've seen it at the LA show press days 2 years in a row. While it's system is actually pretty advanced, it has all the charm as a 20 year old Hyundai, and an interior that seems almost as cheap. The wealthy trendsetters who'd buy cars like this won't because it's too plain and invisible, and regular people will go for the far flashier Leaf or even the Volt or the (hated by me) Prius.

I really don't see Coda being successful.

Last edited by guionM; 03-15-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 PM

Or you can get an electric Focus for about the same price, with better looks/quality throughout, better range - EPA certified 105mpge vs 88 for the Coda, and half the charge time.

Last edited by ImportedRoomate; 03-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Or you can get an electric Focus for about the same price, with better looks/quality throughout, better range - EPA certified 105mpge vs 88 for the Coda, and half the charge time.
I agree, it's gotta be cheaper is it wants to dent the market as a Chinese brand.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Can't wait to see the crash test results...
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

You guys think that car looks good?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 AM
West South Central Moderator

that car makes me tired
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
You guys think that car looks good?
I said it was very appliance like and similar to most other sedans on the road. And that's my point. In order to sell more EVs, they need to either be high content, high priced unique vehicles, or they need to be cheap, plain Jane, vanilla looking sedans that blend in.

You can only sell so many high-end EVs to enthusiasts; the bread-and-butter generic EV you sell in mass to the average consumer needs to look average and be cheap enough for them to want/need it.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I said it was very appliance like and similar to most other sedans on the road. And that's my point. In order to sell more EVs, they need to either be high content, high priced unique vehicles, or they need to be cheap, plain Jane, vanilla looking sedans that blend in.

You can only sell so many high-end EVs to enthusiasts; the bread-and-butter generic EV you sell in mass to the average consumer needs to look average and be cheap enough for them to want/need it.
I was responding more to greenformula's post than yours. I agree with you in part -- electric cars need to stop looking goofy. Honda Insight (esp. first gen), early Prius, Nissan Leaf -- these are goofy-looking cars. Looking plain is one way to accomplish that, but looking great is a much better way. Regardless of propulsion, great looking cars sell better than equivalent plain-looking cars. (Hyundai's sales, for example, have been going through the roof, and I credit styling for a good portion of that.)

Volt, IMO, is pretty handsome as compact cars go, electric or not.

I think the proportions are off on the Coda, in much the same way as they were on the first-gen Prius.

Here's the most flattering photo of the Coda IMO:

And here's a 1G Prius:

The Coda is better looking than that Prius, but only marginally IMO.