Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Fiat to join forces with DCX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:16 AM

Fiat to join forces with DCX?

Link

Fiat may hook up with DaimlerChrysler, Italian paper says

Last Update: 6:36 AM ET Sept. 7, 2005

MILAN (MarketWatch) -- DaimlerChrisyler (DCX) could be the next industrial partner of Fiat SpA (FIA), Italian daily Repubblica reported Wednesday in an unsourced report.

Fiat's Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne Tuesday said the company will announce an industrial alliance for its recovering car making division by the end of 2005.

Marchionne ruled out it would be an Asian company.

Newspaper Web site: http://www.repubblica.it
Not much there, but does anyone know anything about that?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Re: Fiat to join forces with DCX?

I know if I were DCX I would be running full tilt away from FIAT, look what it did to GM?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM

My prediction #1: DCX will pay Fiat x billion dollars.

My prediction #2: Fiat will seek partnership with Ford.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:29 PM

IMO DCX should have a go at Fiat. I hear they make a mighty fine diesel engine.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
I know if I were DCX I would be running full tilt away from FIAT, look what it did to GM?
Ah but GM in Europe is the devil, and DCx is the darling, owned by......the real darling benz! What kills me is, now they got all GM's $$$ to use against them with new product.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:15 PM

on a side note about Fiat.. I was watching a soccer game last night.. I believe Paraguay vs. Argentina and Fiat had bilboards at the stadium. Isn't Fiat's operations under GM control? Aren't they pretty much being phased out? How does Fiat still have an advertising budget?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ced8
on a side note about Fiat.. I was watching a soccer game last night.. I believe Paraguay vs. Argentina and Fiat had bilboards at the stadium. Isn't Fiat's operations under GM control? Aren't they pretty much being phased out? How does Fiat still have an advertising budget?

The deal between Fiat and GM broke off... Fiat walked away with $2 billion (or however much it was, i forget) that they can use for advertising.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
The deal between Fiat and GM broke off... Fiat walked away with $2 billion (or however much it was, i forget) that they can use for advertising.
Oh so it was a buyout.. thanks.. I was wondering about it at the time..
Old 09-07-2005, 06:42 PM

I read today that DCX has no intention of linking up with Fiat.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Even with GM's $2 billion cash gift (not to mention the $2 billion they paid for 20% of the automaker and subsequently wrote off), Fiat is rough financial shape. I would hope that DCX has learned from their Mitsubishi near-miss and won't try to rescue another "undervalued" car company.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:22 AM

It looks like Ford was the mystery suitor:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2005/...ap2215316.html

Fiat Auto SpA has reached an agreement with Ford Motor Co. to work together on new models of their small cars, the companies said Friday.

Ford said the companies have signed a "memorandum of understanding" for the development of two small cars: a revival of Fiat's iconic "Cinquecento" and a new Ford "Ka."

"By working together on this project, both companies would envisage reduced development and material costs, while providing highly competitive products to the marketplace," the company said.

Lapo Elkann, in charge of brand promotion at the Turin-based car company, told Italian Radio24 that "Fiat and Ford are allied because they will make utilitarian cars together."

He said the car would be made on the platform of the Fiat Panda.

"The industrial agreement will be on one line of product," he added. "I can't tell if they will do more as they are still in talks."

Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne had said earlier this week that Fiat would announce its first "targeted" alliance by the end of the year.

A broad-based alliance between Fiat and Detroit-based General Motors Corp. collapsed in February. Since then, the Italian company has been looking for an industrial partner to help cut costs in the competitive auto market, which is plagued with overcapacity.

Marchionne has said that Fiat must join a growing trend among carmakers to ally for the production of specific models or components.

Profit margins on small cars are often tight, and alliances are one way of cutting costs.

On Tuesday Fiat launched the latest version of its best-selling Punto. Fiat has made great efforts to promote the car, which it hopes can be a decisive factor in reviving its fortunes.

Fiat Auto is investing around $12.5 billion in 20 new models between 2005 and 2008. Fiat's prototype for the "Trepiuno," its resurrection of the "Cinquecento" first launched in 1955, won plaudits at the Geneva motor show last year.

Marchionne said Tuesday that Fiat will have cut its debt by some $6.02 billion this year, helped by a cash settlement from GM after the two companies broke their alliance, and by Fiat's sale of its stake in power company Italenergia.

Fiat Auto improved results in the second quarter of this year, when the unit cut its operating losses by two-thirds to 88 million euros ($106 million), said Marchionne.

The auto unit, which accounts for around 40 percent of the Fiat group's revenues and has been losing money since 2000, is aiming to be in the black starting in 2007.

Ford, which is struggling with high labor and health care costs and faltering sales of its popular sport utility vehicles, is dealing with a profit slump of its own.

In July the company reported that profits fell 19 percent in the second quarter, hurt by lower production and harsh competition in North America, where it lost more than $900 million. Ford's finance arm carried the automaker.

Ford announced a series of executive changes Thursday aimed at restoring profitability to its North American automotive operations. The company is also close to selling its Hertz Corp. rental-car division to a corporate buyout firm in a move that would help it raise cash, two executives familiar with the negotiations said Thursday. Hertz could sell for as much as $15 billion.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:29 AM

My prediction #2: Fiat will seek partnership with Ford.

I think this guy was on to something
Old 09-09-2005, 10:55 AM

I think this guy was on to something
We need to see your first prediction come true first

Anyhow, I hope Ford is better at writing pre-nups than GM was
Old 09-10-2005, 06:01 PM

wow. does FIAT stand for False Intentions Arouse Turnover?