Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

EXCLUSIVE: Commodore cop cars for the US

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Commodore cop cars for the US

General Motors says it is hopeful of winning a lucrative contract to supply re-badged Holden Commodores to US law enforcement agencies. By RICHARD BLACKBURN.

Holden could soon be exporting Commodores to the United States again.

The company’s billion dollar export program ground to a halt at the end of last year after Holden’s parent company, General Motors, axed the Pontiac brand in the United States. Holden was selling re-badged Commodores as Pontiac G8s in the States.

But in an exclusive interview with Drive.com.au at the Frankfurt motor show yesterday, General Motors boss Fritz Henderson said the company was making good progress with a plan to sell the Commodore to US law enforcement agencies.

“We’ve been working on a package for police applications. I just think that’s going to work. We’re pretty optimistic about it and that product will be sourced in Australia,” he said.

And he didn’t rule out a wider role for the car in General Motors’ plans going forward.

“It’s a global architecture, it gives us options in the future but right now you’d say, near term, no,” he said.

The law enforcement contract could prove lucrative for Holden, with some estimates suggesting the deal could involve tens of thousands of vehicles a year.

Holden executives are believed to have been working on a proposal to sell the car to the Los Angeles Police Department. The LAPD is looking for a replacement for its fleet of ageing Ford Crown Victoria sedans, which will be discontinued next year.

Other agencies, including the Canadian Mounties, are also believed to be showing interest.

Holden remains tight-lipped on the subject, though says it has continued to look at alternative export plans.

"Fritz [Henderson] is obviously intimately aware of Holden and our capabilities," says Holden spokesman Scott Whiffin. "It's fantastic to have this kind of endorsement from the guy in the big chair.

"When the Pontiac deal fell through we said then it was a shame, it was a great car, but understood the reasons for it. And we said then we would get up, dust ourselves off, and find other opportunities. And that work has pretty much been going on since that [Pontiac G8 axing] was announced."

Holden shipped 36,500 re-badged Commodores to the US last year - about two-thirds of the company's total exports and almost a third of its vehicle production. The deal was believed to be worth $1 billion.

Holden has been searching for alternative export programs ever since, but in June GM shut the door on plans to revive the car as a Chevrolet Caprice.

It was thought the GM plan to import cars from Australia to US enforcement agencies would meet with strong opposition from GM’s new owners, the unions and the Government, in light of the mass plant closures and job losses in the United States that followed the company’s filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

But senior GM exectuive Bob Lutz played down those fears in a blog on a company website in June this year.

“While the large (rear-wheel-drive) cars may be made in Australia, they are an integral part of GM, contain US-built engines and transmissions and numerous other components, and are so ‘American’ in character that I don't believe the law enforcement agencies would have any problems with the assembly origin of the vehicle. Plus, they'll love it,” he said.

If it comes off, the deal will be good news for workers at Holden’s Elizabeth plant in South Australia, which has been running at roughly half its capacity since the Pontiac deal ended.

The company cut one of its plant shifts in May, with some workers put on week-on, week-off work arrangements to avoid redundancies.

There will be a further boost to the plant from the end of next year, when Holden begins to build a small car at the plant.

But despite the good news, Henderson said the engineering role Holden had in the General Motors organisation was likely to shrink.

“It will be reduced from what it was, say five years ago, but it will still be a key role,” he said.

Prior to the economic downturn and the focus on more fuel efficient vehicles, the Australian operation was the engineering hub for GM’s global rear-wheel-drive program.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=65707&vf=7
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 AM

So if you want it bad enough in a few years you could maybe get a Commodore as an ex-police vehicle, if this ever goes through.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Wonder how well they'll hold up and what the maintance costs will be like for the departments that use them compared to the Charger.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 AM

They will hold up fine, Holdens are built like a tank because there is some pretty rough roads down under and the Holdens were engineered to take a lot of abuse. If rebadged Holdens make it over here for LE use they will be known as the best police cars ever. Because they are so rugged and they will be untouchable performance wise in the LE market.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
Wonder how well they'll hold up and what the maintance costs will be like for the departments that use them compared to the Charger.
The only real issue I see involves the liabilities of having what is essentially an import (which also means imported parts) as a police car. But then again, with the Camaro made here and the fact that LE sales will be as relatively small as Camaro sales are (and that Camaros are assembled here), parts supplies might not be a problem.

As for holding up, Commodores (while no BOF Crown Victoria) should hold up at least as well as Chargers. I suspect perhaps maybe even a bit better because of how they're built.

I think the only issue GM (meaning Fritz) has with the Commodore-Police idea now is lining up agencies.

I know that the CHP is ready to move from Crown Vics. I'm pretty certain that just as the CHP became the 1st to use SS Mustangs as patrol cars back in 1982, whatever the CHP picks up is going to have a big influence on what vehicle other states use to patrol their highways.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM

Why all the double talk on this issue?

Unless GM sees offering a version of this to the US public as contingent on having so many Police sales.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM

I think the issue of this going to the public is pretty much gone.

Commodore will be restyled soon, and it's becoming pretty clear that if GM imports the Lumina to the US, it's going to wait for the next version instead of taking what amounts to a G8 look-alike.

The police version will sell at about the volume that the G8 was selling at before sales took off about a years ago. Take into account that GM will not need to spend a dime on advertizing or dealer sales support as they had to with the G8, it should work out very well.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Talk about about a horse taking a beating and refusing to die..... I hope Commodore does come over, but I can' t see it happening until it gets the refresh... at least a consumer version, if the police package migrates before then, or perhaps when it emerges on Alpha. Guess we'll have to stay tuned and see.

GM's plan must surely be to confuse absolutely everyone when it comes to this topic, given all the conflicting things said to date.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM

I think Guy and I have been talking about this for a bit now - production will start in January for these cars, last I heard.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM

So what will it be? A Chevy?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 AM

Yep.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 AM

I hope they offer cops the option of a DI 3.6L V6.

Originally Posted by V8 Slayer
So what will it be? A Chevy?
Only other option would be Buick since Pontiac is dead and I don't think there is any chance they will do that.

The real question that everyone is dying to know is what will this Chevy be called.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Z28x
Only other option would be Buick since Pontiac is dead and I don't think there is any chance they will do that.
What, you don't think they'd build a Cadillac police car?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
What, you don't think they'd build a Cadillac police car?
If they wanted a Cadillac police car they would just use the CTS, not a rebadged Holden.

http://jalopnik.com/5037867/2009-cad...usiast-paradox
Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I hope they offer cops the option of a DI 3.6L V6.
Ow ow ow ow ow! Stop rubbing salt in there!