Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Should a base Camaro be called RS?
Sure call the base model an RS
39.13%
Only call an ugraded Y87 type package on the base car an RS
34.78%
No the RS name shouldn;t go on any version of the base car.
4.35%
I wanna go back to arguing why Z28 is better than SS!
21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Enougfh about SS/Z28...why not call the base car an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 11:24 AM

Enougfh about SS/Z28...why not call the base car an RS?

Though not true to heritage exactly I am very much for the base car...or an upgraded version of the base car (like my Y87) being called RS. Calling the base car just "Camaro" has no flair and is kinda boring and I think RS would give it some life. Peopl always ask what kinda camaro I have...it sucks just saying "well it's a Camaro" . SO why not call the base car an RS or maybe a base car with ground effects a few performance upgraded (Y*& package)
Old 05-01-2003, 11:32 AM

Not a bad idea... it added something to the base car from 89-92, IMO...

But, ya, it's not exactly true to the RS heritage, if that matters.

Even the 89-92 RS's were somewhat true to the RS name, because they did offer the Z28/IROC-Z look, even though you could no longer get the base car without the ground effects.

(Note: "RS" was 'tested', if you will, in 1987, in California I think... then became standard in 88, but was just called "Camaro"... I'll have to dig up 89 RS sales vs. 88 Base car sales... might be interesting to look at how the RS tag affected sales)

In the end, no, I wouldn't be opposed to this idea. It could work.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:34 AM

Re: Enougfh about SS/Z28...why not call the base car an RS?

Originally posted by formula79
Though not true to heritage exactly I am very much for the base car...or an upgraded version of the base car (like my Y87) being called RS. Calling the base car just "Camaro" has no flair and is kinda boring and I think RS would give it some life. Peopl always ask what kinda camaro I have...it sucks just saying "well it's a Camaro" . SO why not call the base car an RS or maybe a base car with ground effects a few performance upgraded (Y*& package)
As a former and current RS owner... THAT IS SACREGLIOUS!!!

The "base" model has always been a "Plain Jane" sans any ground effects or performance goodies. The sale of these stripper models is what helps to keep the price of our Z/28's down... including those with the "SS" styling-trim option.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:34 AM

Ive posted this before, but damn I think its a good idea.

Keep the base, but offer a Z28 and an SS package, but on top of that offer an RS package for both of them which would be more the equivilant of the 4th gen SS (suspension, hood, wing, wheels). That'd give you a Z28/RS and SS/RS like the olden days.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Chuck!
Ive posted this before, but damn I think its a good idea.

Keep the base, but offer a Z28 and an SS package, but on top of that offer an RS package for both of them which would be more the equivilant of the 4th gen SS (suspension, hood, wing, wheels). That'd give you a Z28/RS and SS/RS like the olden days.
Ya, that's the other, more historically accurate direction to go...

It's be pretty much the exact same thing as the 4th Gen's Y87 "Sport Appearance Package", but be called RS instead...

This idea has a lot of merit too.... I just hope this type of add-on would 'flow' better than the 4th Gen's did (looks-wise)...
Old 05-01-2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed

It's be pretty much the exact same thing as the 4th Gen's Y87 "Sport Appearance Package", but be called RS instead...

This idea has a lot of merit too.... I just hope this type of add-on would 'flow' better than the 4th Gen's did (looks-wise)...
Ground Effects on the 4th gen really seem to be love or hate for most people. I think the 98+ version with the newer front flows better that the pre 98 RS package. The reason I went with the ground effects is because a V6 Camaro without them looks like it sits about as high as a Silverado. I mean the 6" of black space in the wheel wells with 16" rims sucks bad, but to have the thing have like 8" of ground clearence (exaggerating, don't know the real number) is crazy. The 4th Gen SS IMO looks crap with the raised spoiler and over done hood, but no lower effects...looks like something is almost missing.

I personally have bever had anyone who doesn't drive a Z28 tell me that the ground effects look bad. Matter of fact most tell me how nice my body kits looks and ask where I got it. When i tell them it is factory they are shocked because there are so few they didn't know that they were made.

Thats why I think if you are gonna use ground effects it needs badging....so it looks like a different model..not some weekend project. An SS would get the same assumtions if it didn;t have the badging.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:39 PM

Well, personally, I don't care for the 4th gen ground effects one bit. I addition to not looking good....IMO they make the car look even chintzyer.

I do however like the Y87 package. Eventhough RS was originally an appearance package, I wouldn't have a problem with a Y87++ package being called RS. Heck, add a V8 and some T-Tops and call it SS.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by formula79
Ground Effects on the 4th gen really seem to be love or hate for most people. I think the 98+ version with the newer front flows better that the pre 98 RS package. The reason I went with the ground effects is because a V6 Camaro without them looks like it sits about as high as a Silverado. I mean the 6" of black space in the wheel wells with 16" rims sucks bad, but to have the thing have like 8" of ground clearence (exaggerating, don't know the real number) is crazy. The 4th Gen SS IMO looks crap with the raised spoiler and over done hood, but no lower effects...looks like something is almost missing.

I personally have bever had anyone who doesn't drive a Z28 tell me that the ground effects look bad. Matter of fact most tell me how nice my body kits looks and ask where I got it. When i tell them it is factory they are shocked because there are so few they didn't know that they were made.

Thats why I think if you are gonna use ground effects it needs badging....so it looks like a different model..not some weekend project. An SS would get the same assumtions if it didn;t have the badging.
For the huge price Chevy charged for ground effects, over $1,700, they should have given the option a RS badge. However, as far as the stunning "factory" looks of the pricey appearance package, you can look no farther than the RK Sport catalog for nearly identicle ground effects.

Anyway, all regular F4s had adequate ground clearance, despite the "easy to drag" nose. Ground effects basically ruin the utility of the vehicle, and are a definate no-no for drivers who might actually see snow. As a Z28 driver, I gave the SS package more thought than the "appearance package." Hey, $3,500 for the SS was way more worthwhile than half that amount just for fiberglass.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:33 PM

There's no need to go randomly mixing up model designations like they did with the 4th gen. It just confuses people, mostly newcomers to the f-body, and makes for pointless debates in the long run.

RS should be a level-2 type trim, right above the level-1 base model which would be called simply a Camaro.

Otherwise just leave it off altogether, and come up with something new.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:39 AM

Bring back the Camaro LT.

Does anyone really want a cheap car that looks like the faster models?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed

Sounds good to me since the RS in the 4th gen was mostly just an appearance package. Why not offer that with the performance versions too?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by USHotRod
Sounds good to me since the RS in the 4th gen was mostly just an appearance package. Why not offer that with the performance versions too?
That's pretty much what they did with the Y87 "Sport Appearance Package"... they just didn't carry over the "RS" name with it...

I think it's be cool to have a RS/Z28... or an RS/SS.. (even though, like I said, I was not a fan of the looks of the 4th Gen ground effects packages that were offered.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by guionM

Does anyone really want a cheap car that looks like the faster models?
Actually yes...

A new base Camaro has to appeal to younger buyers who can't afford a Z-28.

Is there much difference between a Celica GT and GT-S?

Any of the Prelude's...no cept for a V-Tech sticker.

Same with the Eclipse.

On could argue that a V6 Camaro and Z28 were exactly alike except for badging...but one must keep in mind..

The Z28 for a higher up model was very bland. They put scoops and different wheels and such on the Mustang GT that made it look like a performance model....and now they are offering a "Pony" version of the V6 Mustang to look like it.

All this is confusing, but I do know that a V6 Camaro with a hardtop and single turn down exhaust looks about as exciting as a root canal.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:37 AM

I think it's a big catch-22.

If, like the 3rd Gen, you make the Z28 look different from the V6 from the beginning, people will complain that the V6 is unexciting. Then, you can add a package to make the V6 car look like the faster car as a solution.

So... with the 4th Gen, they make the V6 look like the Z28 to begin with. Now it's the same problem, just the other side of the coin. The Z28 people are mad because their car looks "plain, like a V6". But you can't 'un-do' it at this point, so the SS is introduced, but that isn't good enough for some people either... blah blah blah blah blah....

It seems like the best solution is to follow the 3rd Gen formula of having the base car different from the hi-po car... give people 3-4 years of time to bitch and complain that the base car is boring, then add a package to the base model to make it look like the hi-po model. This way people will think it is an upgrade to the base car instead of a downgrade to the hi-po car....
Old 05-02-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by guionM

the 2nd gen LT is one of the most under-appreciated F-bodys of all time.

Most people don't even know they brought the LT back for 1987.. one-year model only. yep

I'm all for it.

Quick Reply: Enougfh about SS/Z28...why not call the base car an RS?