Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The El Camino Comeback

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Re: The El Camino Comeback

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi

If this was stretched to be a 2+2, it would look fairly akward, not sure how you would make the proportions look right.
All else aside, it's not going to be a 2+2.

As you see, Holden actually made that version in a 4 door. Here's another version (from HSV) was called the Avalanche:

Third, make sure we post the current model. The Ute you posted is from early this decade.

Here's the current model.

Originally Posted by jawzforlife
how well did the Subaru Baja sell?

It had 4 doors

A Subaru Legacy also had 4 doors.

So did a Pontiac G6.

So does a Jeep Wrangler nowadays.

You aren't seriously using Subaru..... one of the smallest and quirkiest car makers on the US market....(and even a model that went on sale a decade ago and was killed off almost 6 years ago!) as a yardstick for a potential new 2013 Chevrolet?

Good thing no one thought to use the relatively small and ugly Subaru Baja to guage the potential success of the Silverado based Avalanche! GM would have never made the thing!....But then, maybe that's why Jeep hasn't considered a Wrangler pickup 4 door till now. They were using the Subaru Baja as the yardstick to measure success.

In all seriousness though, sales volume isn't a factor in this case. Even if Chevrolet sells a scant 1000 per month (it will most likely be 5,000 per month IMO) that's going to be a massive jump in production of the Ute which was designed to be profitable in only the Aussie and New Zealand markets.

Imagine if we were suddenly able to sell more Corvettes to China than are sold here. A Corvette designed to make money selling 2500 per month is certainly going to be a success selling 5,000 per month, even if the profit margin on the extra 2500 cars is only half of the cars sold here. Even if part is eaten up in shipping costs and currency differences.

The issue isn't if an El Camino will it make money off of what we'd consider small sales numbers. Of course it will.

The issue is either spending that quarter to make a dollar, or tossing that quarter into a pot of hundreds of dollars to perhaps get better stitching on the next Corvette seats or better cupholders in the next Buick, or a less cheap plastic engine cover on the next LS engine.

Last edited by guionM; 05-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 PM

Oh.... and by the way......

Holden not only had a lot of Pontiac front ends, GXP badges, and wheels. They also had the performance packages for US bound G8STs and GXPs.

They are going to good use on their domestic vehicles.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/73688/hs...st-and-review/

Last edited by guionM; 05-18-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM

Something just doesn't look right, and I am not sure what...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:07 AM

My dad had a 1985 El Camino Conquista, what a great ride that was. I was lucky enough a few years later he still had it and when I turned 16 I was able to drive it some. The 5.0 V8 was only rated at 150hp, but by 1980s standards the car ran pretty good. The car looked pretty close to this one.

He now has a Sliverado reg. cab short bed 2WD truck. If a new El Camino came out, I'd bet he would trade in his truck for one.

Some new Chevrolet Ute/El Camino Love.....

I didn't realize this until I came across these pics., but apparently the Holden Ute is already sold in Chevy trim in South Africa as the Chevy Lumina Ute SS

South Africa gets these, but we don't.....come on.

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 05-20-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:04 PM

Theoretically speaking, how much would a V8 El Camino start at price wise? I don't have kids, and I don't have anything to tow around, but I do want this car.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
In all seriousness though, sales volume isn't a factor in this case. Even if Chevrolet sells a scant 1000 per month (it will most likely be 5,000 per month IMO) that's going to be a massive jump in production of the Ute which was designed to be profitable in only the Aussie and New Zealand markets.
I think 1000 is pushing it. 5000 units a month...NO WAY. GTO never sold more than 14K units a year. GM only sold 23K G8's in 2009. I will say max market for El Camino is maybe 20K units first year..then after the newness wears, 10-12K per year.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:57 PM
West South Central Moderator

so, how many comments are they up to?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
I think 1000 is pushing it. 5000 units a month...NO WAY. GTO never sold more than 14K units a year. GM only sold 23K G8's in 2009. I will say max market for El Camino is maybe 20K units first year..then after the newness wears, 10-12K per year.
I think your numbers are pretty close to what an El Camino would sell IMO. The biggest detracter is its a 2-seater, the market is going to be somewhat limited.

A long time ago the El Camino was a huge seller. I tried to dig up some production numbers but all of my data has El Camino combined with Chevelle/Malibu production numbers. Back then most El Caminos had a bench type seat which could allow you to squeeze another passenger in. Another thing which was brought up a few posts back was, back then trucks were pretty basic, rough and crude inside and out. By comparison El Caminos could be pretty plush inside and rode like a car and were more stylish than trucks.

I haven't heard how the Caprice PPV is doing, Chevy has been taking orders
on them for a few months now. As far as I know no agency around here has placed any orders for the Caprice PPV, but this area has always gone with Fords with the exception of my agency ordering Impala 9C1s in 2005 and 2006.
Anyways I am thinking GM will bring the Ute over. GM will already have ships coming over with Caprice PPV's, maybe the El Camino will help fill those ships to capacity.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
5000 a month is more then half the camaro sales. I dont see it either...
Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 AM

I'd love a new El Camino, but the two door thing would really hold me back.

Originally Posted by guionM
As you see, Holden actually made that version in a 4 door. Here's another version (from HSV) was called the Avalanche:

This, however, I think looks awesome and would be perfect for me.

Count me as part of the group that doesn't think the El Camino will remotely come close to 5,000 units/month. The trend of trucks over the last 25 or so years (since the last El Camino) has quickly been shifting away from regular cab to full four door versions. Most of the regular cabs I see today seem to be work trucks, which for the most part is NOT where the El Camino's market will be.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 AM

Name:  ElCaminoSS.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  44.2 KB

Do want. Seriously. I'll get rid of my truck and car and this is my next vehicle. Extra points if a crew cab was to ever exist.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 AM

Yeah, forget the fb stuff GM. If that car comes here, has a V8, a manual transmission, and is similarly or less priced than a Camaro SS, GM you will have me as a buyer. I've wanted a Maloo for so long, I've even considered importing one at a point, this saves me a lot of hassle.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it might only come in an auto since the G8 GT was auto only. I wonder if anyone has swapped the GXP M6 into a GT?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 PM

The ST was set to come here..its all ready approved right?

So basically they were just biding time for the G8 to fade a little then bring the Chevy version over..am I far off on that school of thought??
Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it might only come in an auto since the G8 GT was auto only. I wonder if anyone has swapped the GXP M6 into a GT?
please don't tell me my dreams of owning a maloo will be crushed by an auto transmission. The AU V8 versions have the 6 speed manual. I sure hope they don't have Auto only if they bring it here.

Quick Reply: The El Camino Comeback