Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Edmunds Says A New Goat Is Coming In 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 AM

Edmunds Says A New Goat Is Coming In 2009

Hmmmmm
It will be followed in short order by the replacement for the Pontiac GTO, which is due in fall 2009 as a 2010 model and will continue to be built in Australia.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120968
Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 AM

I suppose that anything is possible....but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM

I don't see the UAW giving much back without a guarantee for production from GM on RWD vehicles.

We have the Camaro/Impala/Buick being made in Canada.
A GTO from Australia.

I just don't see the Union accepting this. Unless of course they get a guarantee on alt. fuel vehicle production.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 AM

Guy has been saying this for a while and nobody has believed him. I guess hope they do bring it back, just with better styling this time.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 AM

I heard "talk" of a GTO in 2009 a long time ago ... a year or more ... from a "confident" source ... but then we heard sorta "official" quashing of those rumours ... Charlie even flamed me for believing what I heard! ... but I'm still (quietly) keeping it in mind ... I guess we'll see??
Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
I don't see the UAW giving much back without a guarantee for production from GM on RWD vehicles.

A GTO from Australia.

I just don't see the Union accepting this. Unless of course they get a guarantee on alt. fuel vehicle production.
Of course, by fall of next year, the Union could have significantly less power than it does now....
Old 05-30-2007, 12:16 PM

It would definitely be nice to see it built again, time will tell I guess.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyLSxFan
Guy has been saying this for a while and nobody has believed him. I guess hope they do bring it back, just with better styling this time.
THANK YOU ChevyLSxFan. Been saying this since I was still living in Monterey (over a year and a half ago). GTO was actually ahead of Camaro in development, and (believe it or not) unlike Camaro, it was already part of the zeta program. But, all of that will come out in due time.

I guess others will finally believe when the car actually runs them over in a crosswalk.

Wouldn't be the first GTO I was right about.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM

A GTO from Australia.

I don't think the union is going to have the luxury of a choice.

The union is a few months away from a very brutal wakeup call -- led by the multiheaded demon dog.

I have heard that Ford has been telling analysts that their budgets and plans assume that there will be long strikes in North America after the contract expires. I assume GM and Chrysler are budgeting similarly.

War clouds are gathering, and it's going to be ugly.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM

A GTO from Australia.

Gotta look at the net gain. The UAW doesn't care if they make FWD, RWD, or crossovers, just as long as they have product, which GM has plenty coming.

Two other factors to consider is 1) health care costs and 2) the deflating US dollar.

1) tends to favor Canada, since the government foots the bill.
2) tends to favor the US since the Canadian dollar is at the verge of being equal to the US dollar.

Wild card in all this:

The UAW is at a crossroads and at the weakest position they have ever been in. Membership is only a fraction of what it was just 10 years ago. GM & Ford has bought out over half of it's membership recently, farther reducing it's ranks. Any deal they try to get with the New Chrysler isn't going to be generous. The UAW will put up a good front, and may try to play hardball, but I think the UAW is going to be forced to come to some type of agreement at the risk of GM & Ford moving even more production to Canada and Mexico.

One item about Zeta, there "might" be a plant in the Detroit area that "could" be designated as an additional Zeta plant as an bargining chip in lieu of sending production of a certain zeta line to Oshawa in Canada or Elizibeth City in Australia... But I'm just speculating here.

Originally Posted by georgejetson
I have heard that Ford has been telling analysts that their budgets and plans assume that there will be long strikes in North America after the contract expires. I assume GM and Chrysler are budgeting similarly.
Ford's been hording cash and selling everything that isn't nailed down for a reason... and it can't be just to fund new vehicles.

Last edited by guionM; 05-30-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 PM

This is good news. Three year lease on my current car will be up in May of '10... hopefully the Pontiac dealers will be over their initial "market adjustment" price BS phase by then. With a little luck we'll get a fully optioned car this time, instead of just a V-8 powered low-end model.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:21 PM

I thought this was pretty "common" knowledge actually? Guess I was listening to Guy the whole time.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 PM

The cool thing is that pontiac is still getting the G8, the G6 is a somewhat sporty looking little car....

Is is possible that "Driving Excitement" is back???
Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
I heard "talk" of a GTO in 2009 a long time ago ... a year or more ... from a "confident" source ... but then we heard sorta "official" quashing of those rumours ... Charlie even flamed me for believing what I heard! ... but I'm still (quietly) keeping it in mind ... I guess we'll see??
I don't think I'd flame ya Pete. But consider me very doubtful on this.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM

I will be extremely happy if this happens.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Says A New Goat Is Coming In 2009