Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Driver error found to be main cause in sudden acceleration problems for Toyota...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Driver error found to be main cause in sudden acceleration problems for Toyota...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=19026

Driver error cited as cause of fatal crashes in 74 of 75 cases

Toyota, once lavished with praise for its reputation for quality and reliability, took more than a few blows to the chin earlier year when it began to recall vehicle due to concerns of sudden acceleration. The company began recalling many of its popular models – including the Camry, Tundra, Corolla, Highlander, and RAV4 – to replace “sticky” gas pedals.

However, after examining data from 75 fatal crashes which were blamed on “sudden acceleration” due to faulty electronics, the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) has come to the conclusion that only one incident was not related to driver error. The incident in question is the high profile crash involving a CHP officer driving a 2009 Lexus ES 350. The vehicle accelerated uncontrollably due to improperly installed floor mats which trapped the accelerator pedal. The crash resulted in the death of four people including the officer.

The NHTSA concluded that the other 74 crashes were a result of driver error -- specifically, drivers were mistaking the accelerator pedal for the brake pedal, according to the Wall Street Journal.

"In spite of our investigations, we have not actually been able yet to find a defect" with Toyota's electronic throttle control said NHTSA associate administrator for enforcement, Daniel Smith.

"We're bound and determined that if it exists we're going to find it. But as yet, we haven't found it."

The NHTSA hasn't completely cleared Toyota, however. The agency still notes that improperly designed floor mats and sticky accelerators that were slow to return to the idle were to blame for some crashes. Toyota itself acknowledged these finding back in January. However, phantom electronic gremlins causing Toyota vehicles to suddenly lose their minds appears to have been tossed out of the equation.

The sudden acceleration drama resulted in the U.S. Department of Transportation fining Toyota $16.4 million for deceiving officials about the widespread nature of stick accelerator pedals. There are also over 100 pending lawsuits against Toyota regarding sudden acceleration.
Good news for Toyota I guess.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Huh? Is this for real? If so it deserves a big WTF.

Even given the average amount of stupidity in America I really don't see how you mistake one pedal for another. Perhaps all the Congressmen and Senators they own got to the NHTSA.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 PM

Before I read the article I knew the incident with the CHP would be the 1 case.

Maybe Toyota should start a driving school for their car owners...since this is a non-issue for every other brand.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Huh? Is this for real? If so it deserves a big WTF.

Even given the average amount of stupidity in America I really don't see how you mistake one pedal for another. Perhaps all the Congressmen and Senators they own got to the NHTSA.
you give people way too much credit... many drivers are dumber then a box of rocks.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by razor02097
you give people way too much credit... many drivers are dumber then a box of rocks.
Either this is complete bs or the absolute dumbest people in America buy Toyota's because otherwise we would have "sudden acceleration" issues from more auto manufacturers.

What the hell man! People can't possibly be this stupid. Something smells fishy...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
Before I read the article I knew the incident with the CHP would be the 1 case.

Maybe Toyota should start a driving school for their car owners...since this is a non-issue for every other brand.
Seriously. GM and Ford sell more vehicles in the US than Toyota does, so theoretically, there should be just as many or more incidents from GM and Ford drivers. This does not seem to be the case. Oh well, our government wasted more of our tax dollars to once again pad their own pockets.

However, I do agree that some of the worst drivers in my area seem to be behind the wheel of a Toyota.

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 07-13-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
Maybe you should do some research instead of believing everything you hear in the tabloids - I mean the news media.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
What the hell man! People can't possibly be this stupid. Something smells fishy...
they can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBK8gIzXe1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988G3...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfd6L...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIWR6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt88L...eature=related
Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM

the driver error was that they bought a toyota.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Seriously. GM and Ford sell more vehicles in the US than Toyota does, so theoretically, there should be just as many or more incidents from GM and Ford drivers. This does not seem to be the case.
Pedal placement and other factors can still cause this to happen more frequently with one car versus another. After the Audi debacle in the 90s I believe they redesigned the pedals to be further apart.

The think I don't get is, if there's truly no defect with the Toyotas and it's just driver error, what was the deal with the multiple recalls they had? I guess I understand the tie wrap floor mat fix, but what about the sticky linkages and possible electronic gremlins? Was Toyota just trying to placate the media by fingering a phantom issue so it looked like they were doing something?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
Maybe you should do some research instead of believing everything you hear in the tabloids - I mean the news media.
Why don't you provide some research that shows it is an issue with other brands other than a few isolated incidents.

I guess I should have clarified that statement....

There aren't enough issues with any other brand that a MASSIVE recall is issued along with large class action lawsuits, and hearings in front of Congress.

With that said, why was there a recall in the first place to put a shim in the petals and to correct the floor mats? Why doesn't any other brand come close to this many "driver errors"?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM

ProudPony came here years ago with articles about how Toyotas were accelerating into things as soon as drivers put the car in 'D'.

Good for Toyota I guess, they'll be back in the public's good graces in no time.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:21 AM

This is insane. If they don't even know the exact cause of the one incident that is impossible to ignore, how can they possibly rule out a vehicle malfunction in every other case?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 AM

I heard it was driver error that caused frame rot, cam lobe shearing, weak tailgates, valve spring cracks and seperating adhesive. I believe it and so should you. Yota wouldn't lie.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ZZtop
Either this is complete bs or the absolute dumbest people in America buy Toyota's because otherwise we would have "sudden acceleration" issues from more auto manufacturers.
Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Seriously. GM and Ford sell more vehicles in the US than Toyota does, so theoretically, there should be just as many or more incidents from GM and Ford drivers. This does not seem to be the case.
You guys aren't thinking about it the right way.

If 74 people stomped on the wrong pedal in their Chevy (sorry, Chevrolet ) or their Ford, nobody would notice -- it's only 74 people.

If Chevy or Ford first got the attention of the national news media by ending the life of a police officer and his family, it'd be a different story.

Quick Reply: Driver error found to be main cause in sudden acceleration problems for Toyota...