Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Don't know if anyone knows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:05 PM

Don't know if anyone knows?

Sorry if you guys already knew about this car, and I'm sure most don't really care. I was driving down I-94 here around Gurnee, IL....and I saw a new Eclipse (ya know the one that was a concept a while back and has that sunset orange color) driving north, correct me if I'm wrong, cause I don't really know, but I didn't think they've even come out yet. So if they haven't come out, then I guess they were testing it or something. Anyways, I'm still a true diehard American car guy, but for anyone out there that cares, just thought I'd let ya know.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 PM

Re: Don't know if anyone knows?

260hp = good. Fwd only and weight approaching 3,500lb weight in a v6 coupe body = not so good.

I think it's an improvement over the current eclipse which blows. But the 3rd and now 4th gen eclipses are next to nothing when you compared them to the 1st and 2nd gen examples. The 1G and 2G AWD turbo models were great cars. These newer ones are kinda "ho-humm" if you know what i mean.

It would be nice if they could shoe-horn the EVO's mechanicals (Turbo 4G63 and AWD) into the new gen eclipse and somehow manage to keep keep weight figures under 3400lbs. It would be a better looking alternative to the not-so-attractive EVO.

Regarding production, they shouldn't be out yet. I've read somewhere that we'll see the coupe middle of this year (early summer?) and a spyder droptop version next year.

Last edited by Gold_Rush; 04-29-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
slt

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
260hp = good. Fwd only and weight approaching 3,500lb weight in a v6 coupe body = not so good.
Si, senor
Old 04-29-2005, 01:11 PM

I don't see it selling well. There is nothing "gatta have" about it. The Evos powertrain should have been used then it would be a different story.

This car will be the final nail in the Mitsu-USA coffin
Old 04-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I don't see it selling well. There is nothing "gatta have" about it. The Evos powertrain should have been used then it would be a different story.

This car will be the final nail in the Mitsu-USA coffin
Well, there's nothing gotta have about the current one either, but it sells decently well. Mitsu's always claiming how it is "the best selling import coupe".

I see this new gen as being better than the current gen it is replacing. Granted, i'm not that big a fan of the new one either. 1G and 2G eclipse > 4G eclipse > 3G eclipse.