Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Does anyone have any news on the next gen GM trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 AM

Re: Does anyone have any news on the next gen GM trucks?

Originally Posted by guionM
I'd actually have to think about it. Diesel here is a lot more expensive than gasoline. For what I currently use my Silverado for, I think I'm better off with the current gasoline engine and 15 mpg.
Don't play the Devils advocate, you and I BOTH know a diesel is not going to happen in GM's next gen pick-ups..........what's going to blow minds is there won't be a "single cab" option coming up this year.

Furthermore, GM is going to try to hang with "EcoBoost" from Ford.......but wait until you see what Chrysler has coming. It's not only a leap, or a bound above what GM and For has but its...............diesel and in a BIG way, a cheap!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
Don't play the Devils advocate, you and I BOTH know a diesel is not going to happen in GM's next gen pick-ups..........what's going to blow minds is there won't be a "single cab" option coming up this year.

Furthermore, GM is going to try to hang with "EcoBoost" from Ford.......but wait until you see what Chrysler has coming. It's not only a leap, or a bound above what GM and For has but its...............diesel and in a BIG way, a cheap!
So the single cab isn't going to debut until 2015MY? or will it be a '14MY but not actually show up until 2014?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 AM

I think he means that there just won't be one at all... Makes some sense, how many do you really see? I'd be interested in what % single cabs make up on new trucks
Old 03-04-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ADV1
I think he means that there just won't be one at all... Makes some sense, how many do you really see? I'd be interested in what % single cabs make up on new trucks
I see a lot of them being used by contractors, landscapers, and people that plow snow. My work place buys 80% of their pickups as single cabs. DOT, local municipalities all buy the single cab. I'd say the majority of those that buy the truck to use as a truck buy a single cab. Where as the club cab 1500 trucks are most like bought as a fashion statement by those who rarely use the bed. Most of those people could get by with an SUV.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:25 PM

I much prefer regular cab p/us.
They look way better. Their proportions are just right.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM

The majority of our fleet are regular cabs. I guess that means we're just going to continue to buy Fords.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I'm guessing your 15mpg vs 16.25mpg break even point is not including what would surely be a premium up front to buy the diesel in the first place... if I remember right, the diesel option on the 2500+ trucks is liek $5000 additional.

Factoring that (or somethign close) in should spread those numbers out quite a bit more.
On my '02 the diesel was a $4810 MSRP option. The Allison 1000 was required at $2295 as well. For a total option cost of $7105 MSRP.

However if one goes and compares resale even after 100k, 50 to 100% of the cost of the diesel option is recovered. So the net cost to own is much less than the original diesel option. Now you still have to finance the amount, but in all it's not as expensive as most make out the diesel option to be.

Moreover go put 8k lbs behind the a gas and diesel equipped trucks. The gas motor will quickly drop to the low tens or single digits in gas mileage while the diesel will score low to mid tens in MPG.

I average 17MPG in mixed daily driving.

The 4.5 in a 1500 should be 20 MPG pretty easy in mixed driving and 23/24 MPG highway.

Last edited by Derek M; 03-05-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by 8cylinders>4
With the gas/fuel prices around here you would need to average 16.25mpg in the same driving you get 15mpg with your pickup. I think that should be more than doable with a 4.5L duramax.... hell i dont think the 6.6 would have a problem with that in a 1 ton pickup

You can make a pretty good business case for the 4.5 duramax if you dont count the initial investment. if you do any kind of towing though or tend to keep vehicles long after 200,000 miles it would be a no-brainer
In my instance, I have to consider the upfront cost. If I were to walk into a showroom and have a gasoline powered truck that gets the same mileage I'm getting now vs a diesel, the gas would win. the difference in fuel economy vs price plus the initial cost difference for me makes diesel not worth it.

For someone who does a lot of heavy hauling, puts godawful amounts of mileage on their vehicle annually (like you point out), is going to keep their vehicle till the wheels fall off, or buys diesel fuel in bulk for heavy machinery, farm equptment, or 18 wheelers diesel is a far better choice.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
In my instance, I have to consider the upfront cost. If I were to walk into a showroom and have a gasoline powered truck that gets the same mileage I'm getting now vs a diesel, the gas would win. the difference in fuel economy vs price plus the initial cost difference for me makes diesel not worth it.

For someone who does a lot of heavy hauling, puts godawful amounts of mileage on their vehicle annually (like you point out), is going to keep their vehicle till the wheels fall off, or buys diesel fuel in bulk for heavy machinery, farm equptment, or 18 wheelers diesel is a far better choice.
As Derek M pointed out above, you really need to consider the resale value as well when running the numbers. Used diesel trucks around here tend to command higher prices than otherwise equivalent gassers.

It might still be that the gas engine comes out ahead sometimes, but resale value ought to be part of the equation for most people.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
You sure about that? Spied! 2014 GM Half-Tons Caught Testing - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x

Yet another exclusive fail, eh? Surprise, Surprise.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Literally this is the 1st thing to make me laugh out loud today!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Man, I couldn't imagine what it's like to be wrong ALL the time.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 AM

I thought that had to be wrong, that just seemed crazy. My work just bought two new silverado reg cabs for work trucks. I didn't get one, too new (I drive crappy old mazda)

With the ranger/colorado leaving for a couple years, that makes "not making" a reg cab full size flat out crazy.

Based on the stance and mirrors, that looks to be an HD in the pic.