Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Dodge Ram SRT-10 (from detnews)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 03:14 PM

Dodge Ram SRT-10 (from detnews)

http://pc99.detnews.com/autosinsider...x.hbs?myrec=47

Hey GM, you listening? Your Silverado SS is going to get MURDERED unless you add in a SC or better yet, a tuned ver of the new 8.1L bigblock!!!
Old 09-27-2002, 04:19 PM

That Dodge is going to be great truck, its just too bad that is going to sell for $50,000+
Old 09-28-2002, 02:16 PM

The difference in HP between the SRT 10 and the Silverado SS is how much HP my car had stock. Thats kind of funny in a sad way.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Chuck!
The difference in HP between the SRT 10 and the Silverado SS is how much HP my car had stock. Thats kind of funny in a sad way.
Horsepower today has gone crazy.

Just think, that pickup truck has 2 times the horsepower of Corvettes less than 10 years ago!
Old 09-28-2002, 08:58 PM

we are living in another hp war! probably the last too..

Your going to see more high end German sedan's with 400+ hp. Already right now, there's a good amount of cars that have, or soon will have 300 hp..

Its a little wierd that there will be sedan's staright from the factory (albiet 3 or 4 times more expensive than my Camaro) that'll keep up or pass my Camaro..

I guess progress is good!
Old 09-29-2002, 01:57 AM

Re: Dodge Ram SRT-10 (from detnews)

Originally posted by Ken S
http://pc99.detnews.com/autosinsider...x.hbs?myrec=47

Hey GM, you listening? Your Silverado SS is going to get MURDERED unless you add in a SC or better yet, a tuned ver of the new 8.1L bigblock!!!
Holy **** that thing looks mean!
I want one
Old 09-30-2002, 06:16 AM

A car mag. said that truck should go 0-60 in low 5's

don't know the estimated 1/4
Old 09-30-2002, 08:51 AM

It will do the 1/4mi. in 12.9

Does anyone know the price of these? I thought that Dodge said they were going to be about $35K, but I keep hearing $50K on message boards. Does anyone have a link to where this 50K number came from?
Old 09-30-2002, 06:04 PM

You call that a horsepower war? Calling it a "war" sort of implies there is something close to parity. I chose to call it a massacre.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Prominent Member

Exclamation But consider GM's standpoint.....

...in the end who do you think will sell more of these trucks?

Both the Lightning and the Dodge are expensive and limited (it is a truck after all) by 2wd and standard cab configuration as compared to the SS Silverado....when it's all said and done, you still bought a truck and it needs to have the utility of such.

Sure the SS might be a tad bit (well a LARGE tad) slower, but GM IS in the business to sell vehicles and I'll bet they waaaay out sell Ford & Dodge.

Besides do they really need a halo truck??

Last edited by Doug Harden; 09-30-2002 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:10 PM

If the Silverado SS was less exensive than the Lightning, you might actually have an argument there.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Hunkins
If the Silverado SS was less exensive than the Lightning, you might actually have an argument there.
I was going to bring up the same point. Isn't the Silverado SS going to be more expensive than Lightning's $32,075 list price?
Old 09-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Prominent Member

My bad........

.....I guess I shouldn't have lumped all three issues together with both competitors....

Still say GM will sell loads more than the other two....
Old 09-30-2002, 07:54 PM

Exclamation ummmm.......

Sure, I can see the "Chevy think." But we still need something to compete somewhat, whether it be a reg. cab, like the black one, or a MORE POWERFUL ext. cab.

Oh, and we do have a halo truck...... It's called the SSR. Which also needs more *****.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:44 PM

Wink

Hey guys, interesting discussion about the trucks here. You know what is sad, is that we are all losing musclecar sales to the new high-HP trucks because they provide speed AND UTILITY.

I have a truck... I've got to. I live on a farm. I can't go get 250 bales of hay behind a ponycar. I have to haul my household waste to a dumpsite... not happening in the '71 CJ Mach 1. Nor can I haul a showcar on a lowboy trailer behind my 5.0 Sedan.
That being said, I have no interest in going fast (really fast) in a truck. My Superduty with the Powerstroke will pull that SRT-10 all over the asphalt (if I could catch it!! ) and do so while giving me +20 mpg . That's what a truck is to me, just my opinion though.

BUT - some people can't afford both a car AND a truck, so this gives them a "some of both" solution. I can see a need (and a market) for them. Each manufacturer needs a "halo" model to draw interest to their lines too. As far as trucks go, I like the looks of the SRT-10 for sure. I like the Lightning and the SSR too, I just don't want to buy one of them... they don't suit a need for me right now.

One last point of interest... some folks posting here are sensitive to regular cab vs. super cab vs. quad cab. Are you all aware that Ford is now offering the Supercharged 5.4 (Lighning-style HP) in ALL CAB CONFIGURATIONS!?!?
The Supercharged F-150 Harley-Davidson brings in flexibilty in cab configurations, options galore, performance, style, AND the exclusivity factor.

Cool, huh? But I still ain't gotta use for one unless it's pullin' a musclecar on a trailer...

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram SRT-10 (from detnews)