Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Dodge Charger sales: A mixed bag..... but still good.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Re: Dodge Charger sales: A mixed bag..... but still good.

Well, seeing as how the car only has a 3,500 markup, there must be rebates or dealer cash in that $27k total. But yeah, that's cheap...
Old 12-14-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The Charger is a good news-OK news type of car. It's no doubt a success, but it's an unusual sucess to say the least.

*There's been over 69K of them this year compared with 69K 300s over the 1st 7 months of production last year, but typically takes 36 days to sell compared with the 300's 16.

*88% of Chargers were sold with a rebate (the segment average is 52%), but the average Charger rebate was a mere $1100 compared to the segment average of nearly $1500!
1) I have seen one Charger on the road. I see 300s everywhere. If Chargers are selling at the same rate, it sure as hell is not in the Northeast!!

2) What your statistic didn't tell you was that the segment average of $1,500 is heavily influenced by GM. Ignore GM, and the industry average falls by over $1,485...interesting.

I joke because I care
Old 12-14-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jackass
She must look really good.
Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Guy remember one thing a woman's cleavage helps make everything easier.
Good looking, no real cleavage (she'd kill me for saying this stuff ), mid 30s.

She's a teacher (likely soon to be a principal), and I think she missed her real calling...... politics.

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
It helps that most salespeople are men. And men seem to lose their senses when delt with a pretty face. Saying "NO" just gets harder it seems.
Salesperson was a woman, sales manager a guy. She grilled them for at least 4 hours, so she wore the poor guys down, and because she was using the equity in her home, they knew she was a serious buyer (she was only going to finance a few thousand), and she knew she had the upper hand.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
1) I have seen one Charger on the road. I see 300s everywhere. If Chargers are selling at the same rate, it sure as hell is not in the Northeast!!

2) What your statistic didn't tell you was that the segment average of $1,500 is heavily influenced by GM. Ignore GM, and the industry average falls by over $1,485...interesting.

I joke because I care
1) They are probally all in California, Nevada, and Arizona. I have no problem seeing alot of them...... and I do mean alot!

2. I was thinking the same thing. The only other volume player in this market is Toyota & Honda.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 PM

I see a lot here in New Orleans. Neighbor down the street as a silver one and it reminds me of my car. So I guess the K-car never died .
Old 12-15-2005, 06:02 AM

I see an assload of them down here. I must say, a black Charger looks mean as hell
Old 12-15-2005, 09:18 AM

Well, that makes sense...a bunch down south and out west, and none up here in the FWD/snow capital/import capital of the U.S.

Makes sense to me!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 AM

Well, that makes sense...a bunch down south and out west, and none up here in the FWD/snow capital/import capital of the U.S.

Makes sense to me!
I see lots of Chargers around here, not as numerous as 300 or Magnum though.

I don't really know how I feel about the Charger anymore. I know, sounds weird. I've gone from not liking it, to liking it, to being indifferent.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:54 AM

I went from not liking it to... not liking it.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I went from not liking it to... not liking it.

Hey Joe, do you still work for GM? I see you've moved.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Hey Joe, do you still work for GM? I see you've moved.
Yes, still working for the General under Powertrain, but now I am with the Allison Transmission Division (which is basically a company within the company). Still have lots of connections up in MI, but unfortunately, I don't get much of a chance to see/drive the new stuff long before it is out. Luckily I got to drive the new Z06 a few times before the move, but since then...

On the plus side, the company paid for me to get my CDL (truck driving school! ). I now get to drive big Freightliners, Volvos, etc. 500 hp in a Vette is a lot faster than 500 hp (and ~1300 lb-ft) in a dump truck, but the dump truck is still fun in a different kinda way.

I miss the Proving Grounds terribly though, even though the new job is actually cooler than what I was doing.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:49 AM

Charlie,

I've gone from despising it, to liking it, to being indifferent as well...so you're not the only one feeling that way. I honestly think the stupid INTREPID was a more attractive car, sadly.

The car garners attention because of the Hemi. The 300C garners it for the Hemi AND the fact it is indeed an attractive car. Too bad the GXP can't garner more attention...I think its better looking than the Charger. I think the problem is that no one knows about the GXP
Old 12-15-2005, 06:27 PM

Charlie,

I've gone from despising it, to liking it, to being indifferent as well...so you're not the only one feeling that way. I honestly think the stupid INTREPID was a more attractive car, sadly.

The car garners attention because of the Hemi. The 300C garners it for the Hemi AND the fact it is indeed an attractive car. Too bad the GXP can't garner more attention...I think its better looking than the Charger. I think the problem is that no one knows about the GXP
Attention just because of the Hemi? I have to disagree.... mostly.... kinda.

Like Drew said, the Charger looks mean as hell. In black, it makes the previous king of mean (the mid 90s Impala SS) look as threatening as a Teletubby in a Raider's T-shirt. It's not a beautiful car, but you DO tend to get out of the way when you see one barreling down on you in the rear view mirror.

The Hemi name helps things along, but even if Chrysler stuck their OHC V8 (remember those... yes, they are still around!) in these things, they would still be showstoppers.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Attention just because of the Hemi? I have to disagree.... mostly.... kinda.

Like Drew said, the Charger looks mean as hell. In black, it makes the previous king of mean (the mid 90s Impala SS) look as threatening as a Teletubby in a Raider's T-shirt. It's not a beautiful car, but you DO tend to get out of the way when you see one barreling down on you in the rear view mirror.
I strongly object. It might look sportier/more athletic, but it does not look as mean, imo, as the Impala SS did.
The Hemi name helps things along, but even if Chrysler stuck their OHC V8 (remember those... yes, they are still around!) in these things, they would still be showstoppers.
I dunno about that. Hell, the Intrepid was hugely innovative (basically a show stopper) when it came out (first gen LH cars). Very sleek styling and tons of room on their long wheelbase, cab forward design. The new car would get points for its return to RWD, but without the success of the Hemi name carried over from the truck, it would have nowhere near the success/following that it has today (LX cars in general). Granted, the 300 would still sell well, because even though it is ugly, apparently it is "attractive" or "Bentley-like" (except that most Bentleys were not hit by an Ugly missile). The wussy 235 hp (or even 265 hp) 4.7L V8 instead of the 340 hp 5.7 would drop it from ugly but potent muscle sedan to ugly and mid-pack family sedan. Lots of competing cars with V6s would have no trouble keeping up with a 265 hp but heavy LX car.

I guess we'll never know, though, unless DCX decides pull the 5.7 and drop in the stepchild 4.7.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Guy remember one thing a woman's cleavage helps make everything easier.
Sad but true, if its tanked on testosterone then clevage his this hypnotic effect. My old roommate used this to great effect on several cops

Quick Reply: Dodge Charger sales: A mixed bag..... but still good.