Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Docherty replaces LaNeve. GM will find outsider for Buick-GMC head

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM

Docherty replaces LaNeve. GM will find outsider for Buick-GMC head

FOR RELEASE: 2009-10-07

CONTACTS

General Motors Names Docherty Vice President U.S. Sales

DETROIT - Fritz Henderson, GM president and CEO, today named Susan Docherty, 46, currently general manager, Buick-GMC, to the position of vice president, U.S. Sales, effective October 16, 2009. She will also become a member of the executive committee. Docherty replaces Mark LaNeve, who announced his departure to a non-automotive company earlier today.

"Susan will bring a wealth of experience from previous marketing and sales assignments," Henderson said. "I have confidence that she will bring a new perspective to the position as she guides a new, lean, and customer-focused dealer network."

Previously, Docherty had been named to lead the Buick-Pontiac-GMC Channel in June 2008. Before this assignment she had been general manager for the Western Region, taking the position in September 2006.

Following her Sloan Fellowship at Stanford, she was named general manager of the Hummer Division in September of 2004. Earlier assignments included: marketing director and brand manager for the Cadillac Escalade; sales and service executive positions for GM Europe; and managerial positions with GM of Canada.

"I'd like to congratulate Susan in her new assignment and once again thank Mark for guiding our sales and dealer organizations through one of the most difficult periods in the industry's history." Henderson said. "Susan will continue our progress and reinforce our focus to put the Chevy, Buick, GMC and Cadillac customers first."

GM will look outside to fill the Buick-GMC general manager position. "This will infuse new ideas and an outside perspective into our marketing efforts," Henderson said.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:02 PM

wow...

From this..

To this...
Old 10-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Well, its certainly a win in the looks department. Nice!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Definitely a good move from the looks of it
Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 PM

I didn't care much for Mark LaNeve. This can only be seen as a positive and a welcome change.

And put her in the commercials too.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
wow...

From this..
Looks like a troll...
Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Docherty is a HUGE step in the right direction. Absolutely - without a shadow of a doubt. I never did like LaNeve and his cocky mannerisms. He just always seemed to think he was better then EVERYBODY when he held pressers or met with the media.

Try getting an actual question answered from him - it was like pulling teeth.

GM has made some very big changes lately - all in the sales department it seems. GM needs to turn its attention to communications. It's my belief that the company has an "Old GM" way of handling communications and several of the folks at the "top" of communications hold those same "Old GM" tactics and mentalities.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
Looks like a troll...
I was thinking more like a Dick Tracy villain.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
Docherty is a HUGE step in the right direction. Absolutely - without a shadow of a doubt.
I hope your joking.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
Docherty is a HUGE step in the right direction. .

Susan Docherty on the G3: "You don't have to sacrifice sporty design and responsive driving to achieve impressive fuel economy."

Frankly, I don't know what to make of her, but I can't really say I'm all that impressed so far.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Susan Docherty on the G3: "You don't have to sacrifice sporty design and responsive driving to achieve impressive fuel economy."

Frankly, I don't know what to make of her, but I can't really say I'm all that impressed so far.
Remember the Iraqi Propaganda Minister and the ensuing internet cliche?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 PM

It's amazing how a picture clouds peoples memories.

This is the same GM of Buick/Pontiac/GM you guys were ripping a few months back for saying that the top reason people buy Pontiac's is fuek economy.

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...ure_plans.html

I am not exactly sure how she got the promotion actually. I mean..she led Hummer, which is sold, and then Buick/Pontiac/GMC...one of which was killed, and the other two were discussed. I mean..I know at GM..no one wants to pin blame on anyone person...but if one brand you manage is sold, the other is closed, and the other two are nearly closed..how do you get a promotion?

I remember seeing a story a few months back where they were trying to decide whether or not to put some kind of premium interior components in the new LaCrosse at a penalty of added cost. Rather than doing focus groups like GM normally does, Henderson left it up to Docherty who decided to use the premium components. If skipping focus groups, and letting executives make softball, obvious decisions is the new GM..we are in trouble.

Again..I am sure she has worked hard to get where she is...but if you measure someones ability based on results..I see more negative than positive. They needed to bring in an outsider for the job she got...not her old one.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:32 AM

Mr. LaNeve oversaw much of Cadillac's almost miraculous rebirth.

Ms. Docherty, as it's been mentioned, seemed to be completely out of touch with her own brands.

Don't see how this is something to celebrate... unless maybe you are some pestering wanna-be semi-web-journalist who gets his panties in a bunch because one person is not as tollerant of your senseless badgering, and the other put up with it or something.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 AM

Maybe the VPNA sales is a career killer, and Susan is next up to the plate?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
It's amazing how a picture clouds peoples memories.

This is the same GM of Buick/Pontiac/GM you guys were ripping a few months back for saying that the top reason people buy Pontiac's is fuek economy.

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...ure_plans.html

I am not exactly sure how she got the promotion actually. I mean..she led Hummer, which is sold, and then Buick/Pontiac/GMC...one of which was killed, and the other two were discussed. I mean..I know at GM..no one wants to pin blame on anyone person...but if one brand you manage is sold, the other is closed, and the other two are nearly closed..how do you get a promotion?

I remember seeing a story a few months back where they were trying to decide whether or not to put some kind of premium interior components in the new LaCrosse at a penalty of added cost. Rather than doing focus groups like GM normally does, Henderson left it up to Docherty who decided to use the premium components. If skipping focus groups, and letting executives make softball, obvious decisions is the new GM..we are in trouble.

Again..I am sure she has worked hard to get where she is...but if you measure someones ability based on results..I see more negative than positive. They needed to bring in an outsider for the job she got...not her old one.

I would like to disagree with you. How was Hummer doing from Sept 2004 to Sept 2006? Not too bad. In fact, it was during this time that the H3 was introduced. Which was probably the best thing that one could do for Hummer at the time. A smaller, more fuel efficient model. After she left, 2007 sales went down, and in 2008, sales went down.

She took over PBG channel in June of 2008. Which means, she had been in that position for a little over a year. I am not sure what you expected her to do during that time. Pontiac was already badly damaged.

Leaving her to make the decision on the LaCrosse... I am not sure how you need a focus group to make a decision on premium parts on a premium brand. I am just glad she picked the right decision there. That car looks sweet.

I don't know how much influence she had with Pontiac during the short time she had there, but during her stint, there is a new fascia for the G6, Solstice Coupe, and G8 GXP.

Quick Reply: Docherty replaces LaNeve. GM will find outsider for Buick-GMC head