Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Do you really hate Fords or Just love GM??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 08:55 PM

Do you really hate Fords or Just love GM??

I was thinking about this and if there is a new F-body in our future then I will be a happy man...but if there isn't then would I go to Ford for the next gen Mustang??? I doubt it. I used to really dis-like Ford products. My Girlfriend drives a 01 Mustang v6 with a manual tranny. It didnt drive too bad and the look is starting to grow on me. Now granted I dont fit in a Stang. (I am 6' 6") so I will never buy one. If there isn't a F5 will you buy a Ford???
Old 11-20-2002, 09:00 PM

barring a 5th gen, ill be taking a good long look at the new mustang...

as ive said before, i think that there isn't much brand loyalty among the younger buyers today. having grown up around a majority of bland cars, this generation as a whole dont really care who makes the car...just IMO
Old 11-20-2002, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by WJH'sFormula
as ive said before, i think that there isn't much brand loyalty among the younger buyers today. having grown up around a majority of bland cars, this generation as a whole dont really care who makes the car...just IMO
I think you see less brand loyalty because people are more informed, having the ability to draw information and opinions on any topic they chose via the internet. No longer is it just word of mouth from your friends and co-workers, but any and everyone you can find online is willing to tell you what they think about any and everything, and cars are an especially passionate subject. People realize it is a buyer's market and there is no reason for them to sacrifice getting the most bang-for-their-buck for the sake of blind loyalty.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:28 PM

I just love GM, except for there power windows they are great. Fords are built from the ground up with the kind of quality GM power windows have, at least GM has contained it to just the windows.

4 of the 5 GM cars my family has have had multiple power window problems, right now my SS driver side wondow isn't working. The only GM car we have that hasn't had power window problems is my moms car and she never rolls down her windows. No other manufacture problems I can recall.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:33 PM

haha...lol at the power windows

interestingly enough, my 93 suburban with 172k miles has all of its original power windows and every one of them work like new; heh, better than my dad's 02 Z28 p/w's...
Old 11-20-2002, 10:04 PM

Sig says it all..

I used to prefer American cars over imports, but they gradually discontinued almost everything with a manual transmission and/or a suitable performance chassis (at least what I can afford, anyway). Pretty much all that's left is Mustang.

PS: I figured out how to get around the GM power window problem - My Chevy truck has gone 15 years and 225,000 miles w/o a window problem. It doesn't have power windows.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:25 PM

Re: Sig says it all..

Originally posted by WERM
I used to prefer American cars over imports, but they gradually discontinued almost everything with a manual transmission and/or a suitable performance chassis (at least what I can afford, anyway). Pretty much all that's left is Mustang.
Ditto.

BTW, I wish I had the option of not having power windows, let alone that stupid non-defeatable auto-headlights.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:24 PM

i will be interested in the new mustang when it comes out but i'll wait to see how much the cts will be and then decide.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:56 AM

Ford just isn't as good as GM. As far as the friggin Mustang, I really hate it. They are always ugly and overrated. They are also way overpriced. New Mustang Gt's aren't worth that money. All my friends and some family who ahve stangs always talk shount til its time to run then they just swallow their tongues and walk around feeling stupid from that day on. Makes me feel kinda bad for mustang owners sometimes. But hey, at least mustang owners and lovers still have their cars, and that is one thing they have on us GM/F-body loyals.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:58 AM

From an outsider's perspective: I was born in Greece and lived there till I was nine. All my life I was used to cheap microscopic euro-junk cars. I remember a Citroen or something whose main selling point was it could roll on 3 wheels if it had a flat tire (you actually remove the flat and let it do some hydraulic balancing act on the other 3 wheels and drive it like that).. useless crap like that. All German makes were well represented, even with high-end bodies we're familiar here in the US, as were most Japanese makes (my uncle had a 78-79 Corolla for like 15 years), but 98% of the cars were tiny go-kart coupes..think Geo Metro or Subaru Justy, but uglier, scarier, smaller, less intuitive and mostly no-names. The roads were full of that sort of thing.

So I had NO exposure at all to American cars till I moved here in 84. I'm 27 now and been here for 18 years. I don't know exactly when my tendency towards GM started, but nevertheless it did, almost from the get-go, and it has never changed or decreased. In the 80s, all I knew is that whenever I saw a Cutlass Supreme coupe going down the road, or a Buick Regal coupe, or an F-body or Vette or Fleetwood or GMC truck, B-body, hell, even a G-series van, I felt some unexplained enthusiasm and inspiration watching it existing, like I was beholding a great machine that was built to intimidate me into loving it. It seemed like whoever designed those cars did it just right. Just about any GM. Even tin cans like Chevettes or Citations or Cavaliers or Vegas or those fat & stubby FWD Omegas/Skylarks. Any of those made you want to say "You're an outright piece of junk, but I can't stand to get rid of you".

Lord only knows why, but I NEVER felt that awesome feeling with any Ford.. it just didn't happen. I've driven many Fords and it just seems like the quality and thoughtfullness was just absent, just gone. A friend of mine's 82 Grand Marquis is about the only modern Ford I can remember that was interesting. It was interesting but still failed to capture my imagination. Fords seem devoid of any true character. They just feel cheap.. there's no mystery to them, no wantful soul. Also it seems to me that Ford resale value nosedives really early on. First impressions and perceived functionality / quality are what matter to me, and I just don't see it in Ford. I'm sure there are people who feel the exact opposite from me, but this is just my own experience, and seems pretty consistent over time with few exceptions.

It's funny, in the 80s as a kid, I wanted to own just about any GM product I would see. Today, I can't tell one jellybean apart from the next. I'm thinking that things can't get much worse than right now, as far as dismal styling and deathtrap SUV popularity. But my overall GM passion has not diminished. Don't ask me why, but it's still there, and it's one of those things you're glad you can hang on to as life changes & rolls on. I'm hoping this 1995-2002 period (generally) is the bottom end of the wave and that things will only get better.

W/ the likes of the 04 GTO I'm looking forward to better days and I think I'll be a GM guy for life regardless. All I've ever owned is GM. 5 Pontiacs and 1 Chevy, and totally satisfied w/ 'em.

GT

Last edited by kizz; 11-21-2002 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:37 AM

I really don't like F**d, I mean really. But I used to like GM alot more than I do now, I hope it can be something like that again to me.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by kizz
I was born in Greece and lived there till I was nine.

TI KANIS VRE. EISE ELLINAS?

They've got Greeks in NC now.

I share your feelings in many ways. I can remember growing up in the '60s and '70s feeling that certain tingle about any Chevy I would see. Whether it was a four door Impala or Chevy van....in some strange way...it completely captivated me.

Those feelings may not be as strong now, but they are still present, if somewhat dormant.

I wish Chevy could re-ignite that "tingle" again.....all it's going to take is some nice cars again. At the top of my list is a new and well done Camaro!

Last edited by Z284ever; 11-21-2002 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:39 PM

See, I'm kind of the opposite.

I'm a Ford guy. Ford family, always liked Fords.

But the Camaro won my heart over the Mustang, so I now own one.

But luckily, GM has given me every reason to go back to Ford. Thanks, GM!
Old 11-21-2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
TI KANIS VRE. EISE ELLINAS?
Ellinas pou fovamai exei ksexasei to perisotera ellinhka.. Esei;

18 yrs living here, I've lost like 95% of my dialect but yeah heh.

GT

Last edited by kizz; 11-21-2002 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:14 PM

I come from a GM die hard family. My cousin bought a BMW and was nearly shuned out of the family lol! I remember when I was looking for my car I started looking at 5.0's and my dad told me he wouldnt let me park it in the garage! I guess I was just bread to be a good 'ol GM boy.

Im going to hold out for a CTSv or a reg cab Silverado SS when I graduate from school

Quick Reply: Do you really hate Fords or Just love GM??