Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Death of the F body, from someone who sold them...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 05:12 AM

I agree with you RP on the styling point. For example the average person looking at a rear of a 4th Gen Camaro isn't going to be able to tell if the car is a '93 or an '02.

IMO the 4th Gen. Camaro is one of the nicest styled Chevys in a long time and the styling has held up well over time. But like you said the segment that Camaro is in requires frequent model freshning. I believe this is why the Cavalier has fallen off, because up until last year when it recieved a face lift it remained the same since it was new in '94.
The previous generation Cavaliers received freshnings every 3 years and they remained top 10 sellers through the 80s and early 90s.

I believe that not re-freshing a model inside and out over 4 to 5 year range will hurt getting repeat buyers.
For instance if you buy a car new and in 4 years you go to trade it in and you look at the new model of what you have and its exactly the same more than likely a person will want something different. Unless they really love the car model, like some of us here love the Camaro.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
So, in short...

GM didn't advertise, because the segment was to small... not enough buyers.

Dealers didn't stock them, because they didn't sell...

And customers didn't buy because they didn't know about the product, and the dealers never had a nice variety (if any) on hand...

Seems like a nasty circle, eh? So... who's gonna break it?
Uh, bingo...

I won't sit here and beat up on dealers, because I was one. I know what the dealer mentality was...why stock something that doesn't move. Got it. I understand GMs move...car doesn't sell, so why advertise it. Got it.

The point is, there were some people out there that had no intentions of buying one of these that, once they were on the lot...DID BUY THEM. So maybe its a dealer EDUCATION thing, instead of a dealer's fault??? Why stock nothing but $33K WS6s when many can't afford them? 901 Formulas were made in 2002...I sold 10. In New England. 3 in January. We only sold maybe 12-15 new cars a month.

If I could make a Firebird my best selling new car in JANUARY, in NEW ENGLAND...then maybe the people who order the cars could put a little more thought into how they configure them. Not everyone wanted a WS6, but constantly thats what was on the lots. People also didn't want a $24,000 V6 with an AT, leather, CD changer and all the other stupid doo-dads dealers put on the 6s.

There were a myriad of reasons why the car is gone...I pray when it does come back, its a knockout and does well. But GM NEEDS to keep up with it. Not let it languish, not give it money, then wonder why it died. Indeed, there are other reasons behind it (platform, CAW, etc.) why the car would have died anyways...I just hope when it does return, they put the investment in it to do it RIGHT.

If Ford can sell over 200,000 Mustangs a year, Chevy sure as hell can sell 100,000 Camaros, whether GM makes more 2 door models than Ford or not. I still say the typical MC buyer is NOT a typical Camaro buyer...hence why I am glad to see both cars stick.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:51 PM

GM should try to sell 30,000 a year, and then be pleasantly suprised when they can sell 100k.

Aim small, miss small.